By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Leave it to Razer to make a real motion sensing controller that works

The Move has a magnetic sensor, doesn't it?

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
KungKras said:

Awesome.

Now 'Best motion controller' can be added to a long list of things that the PC is best at :)

It will fail commercially due to a lack of software though :(

but I'll buy it as a collector's item :D

Well they have a partnership with Steam to have game devs use it as well as indy devs. The exclusive Hydra only levels of Portal should help move a lot of units. I already own a few games with steam achievements that can only be done with the Hydra.

hmm, looks like this can do pretty well then.

I hope someone makes an epic fantasy game with Resort-like controls for it at some point in the future :)

I LOVE ICELAND!

ArnoldRimmer said:
ssj12 said:

Except for ultrasonic, PS Move uses all of those sensors - camera, accelerometers, magnetic field sensors and gyroscopes.

Really?

Can you link to that?

I was under the impression  that Move used basically WM tech (Accelerometres gyros) plus the camera tracking of that coloured orb.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I find it odd that when Sony decided to come up with Move people decided to call them wii-rip-offs!!11!!

And now razor is doing the same thing(even much better according to OP) people don't care about it at all.

Personally, its obvious that PC does everything better than the consoles, the only thing it doesn't do as good as PS3 is MLAA, and even that will be solved someday.

Looks too laggy for a "real motion controller".

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

I find it odd that when Sony decided to come up with Move people decided to call them wii-rip-offs!!11!!

And now razor is doing the same thing(even much better according to OP) people don't care about it at all.

Personally, its obvious that PC does everything better than the consoles, the only thing it doesn't do as good as PS3 is MLAA, and even that will be solved someday.

New (Series 5 and 6) AMD graphic cards do MLAA in every game, with great results.

Razor isn't known to have been spreading FUD about your rival's control method, and then to take a similar approach two years later. Sony and Sony fans have ridiculed the Wii since it's inception.

lol I sure as hell ain't putting a strong magnetic field near my computer for this...

Zarx = Unimpressed 

call me when someone as a commercially viable BMI

BTW why isn't this in the PC section? 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Kynes said:
mantlepiecek said:

New (Series 5 and 6) AMD graphic cards do MLAA in every game, with great results.

Razor isn't known to have been spreading FUD about your rival's control method, and then to take a similar approach two years later. Sony and Sony fans have ridiculed the Wii since it's inception.

And? That doesn't stop razor from being a "wii rip off" either. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And according to Digital Foundry, MLAA on PS3 is a bit better than the PC one at least when compared to God of war 3. And all because of the cell processor.

ssj12 said:
Icyedge said:
ssj12 said:
PullusPardus said:
ssj12 said:
nightsurge said:

I see quite some lag in that video.  Also, it was completely wired to the PC as of this time.  Wireless is pretty much necessary for motion controls lol.  Looks like the PS Move except it uses 2 nunchuck things and looks like it lags more.

The difference is that the controller supports all fields of motion and can tell its location. Also its a youtube video, it lags. I've seen many earlier demos which it was very smooth. I think it was just the video. Also wireless really is the last part of a design process. The original Move and Wii controller demoes were wired.

thats why Move uses the camera and the colored light actually, there is no difference.

This doesn't need a light or camera.

How does it work? How does it knows your actual position? Its obvious it can track your movement, left/right as well as forward/backward. But does it really know the position of the player? (how far from the computer you actually are)

Magnetic field. And the somewhere between the Wiimote and Move which like the chart above says 3 -5 meters or I'd figure for a PC monitor to see properly typical distance from monitor or a bit farther, connected to big screen tv 10 like any controller.

Dude the Move has magnetic field sensors in it...

Magnetic field is a really shitty  way to calculate the yaw vector because of so many disturbances.. It really cant be used reliably indoors. If you don't believe me go read research papers on it, everybody will tell you the same thing.

Even if you map a new magnetic field everytime, that magnetic field is dynamic.

The move does xyz and orientation anyway, i dont get what the difference is.

The wii and the move would both have basically no latency if it werent for the fact they were running bluetooth... you'd be surprised the amount of data fuck ups over wireless transfer.

ithis said:

The Move has a magnetic sensor, doesn't it?

yes it does.