By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - kinect vs. sony's exclusives 2011

Chevinator123 said:
pachoo5 said:
cloud1161 said:

which is more likely to entice buyers to purchase the respective console?  will kinect cause more people to buy an xbox 360 or will ps3's exclusive titles cause more people to buy a ps3?  i think this is actually a pretty interesting topic.  i cant even decide which will sell more cuz kinect has a good bit of momentum and ps3's exclusives list is almost legendary.  discuss.

EDIT: i mean the actual kinect hardware vs ps3 exclusives, not the kinect games vs the ps3 games

Kinect should easily cause more 360 sales than PS3 sales. Looking at the list of PS3 exclusives in 2011, there are many nice games but I don't see any titles thare are really of the system moving variety:

Uncharted 3

Killzone 3

Little Big Planet 2

DC Universe Online

Last Guardian

Infamous 2

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One

Resistance 3

Twisted Metal

Really, the biggest games are probably Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 but neither are system movers IMO.

The momentum for Kinect, OTOH, is huge and still very strong. I don't see the momentum for Kinect dying off anytime soon and MS has promised that 2011 will have some very interesting Kinect titles (most of which haven't been announced yet).

do you even own a ps3..? cause all those games are verry big games and will get high reveiws

Yes I own a PS3. And yes, they are some big games but this late into the generation, a title has to be truly stupdendous to generate noticable system sales, and none of those titles have that sort of power. Really, do you think Uncharted 3 is going to generate many new PS3 sales? i certainly don't.

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
LivingMetal said:
cloud1161 said:

which is more likely to entice buyers to purchase the respective console?  will kinect cause more people to buy an xbox 360 or will ps3's exclusive titles cause more people to buy a ps3?  i think this is actually a pretty interesting topic.  i cant even decide which will sell more cuz kinect has a good bit of momentum and ps3's exclusives list is almost legendary.  discuss.

Kinect is more enticing because the masses are more easily targeted and influenced.

um... really? So your saying otherwise Move is much better, it is just advertising. Leave it alone, Kinect is a fantastic technology whehter you will believe it or not

NOWHERE did I ever said nor did I ever imply that Kinect was bad technology.  And this has nothing to do with Move.  Please don't take my standpoint so personal just because you don't agree with it by making things up.

PS3 pricing will have more influence on PS3 sales than any list of exclusives. GT5 was PS3's last system selling exclusive. It'll be the overall appeal of the suite of Move games, the total PS3 library, and the extent to which they appeal to the mid to late gen buyer. And the mid to late gen buyer is going to be more price sensitive on hardware. Kinect bundles are at a very good price, and with 360 likely to drop in price this year it looks like very good value.

Here in New Zealand we can buy the 4Gb Kinect bundle for less than the price of the plain 160Gig PS3 by a substantial margion. It's no wonder 360 is outselling PS3 in certain markets outside USA and UK. Put the 160 Gig PS3 at the same price as the 4Gb Kinect bundle in these markets and it would be interesting to see what happens. Actually I think a 160 Gig Move bundle should be priced at $50 more than the 4Gig Kinect bundle to give Move a good entry price point for the new console buyer.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

LivingMetal said:

NOWHERE did I ever said nor did I ever imply that Kinect was bad technology.  And this has nothing to do with Move.  Please don't take my standpoint so personal just because you don't agree with it by making things up.

WOW i apologise for that. That was a big misread on my side I apologise

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

ps3 exclusives generally arent system sellers and appeal to a audience that allready has a ps3.

kinect is still growing and appeals to ppl who DONT traditionally own a 360.

nuff said. ps3 has a lot of great games but ironically itll still be left in the dust lol

Around the Network

Kinect exclusives and PS3 exclusives appeal to a different market.

The 360 will get plenty of Kinect games that appeal to a casual market a long with an impressive list of core games (exclusive and nonexclusive).

The PS3 mostly just appeals to a core market.

Hence, the 360 seems to have more going for it to sell hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LivingMetal said:
AussieGecko said:
LivingMetal said:
cloud1161 said:

Kinect is more enticing because the masses are more easily targeted and influenced.

um... really? So your saying otherwise Move is much better, it is just advertising. Leave it alone, Kinect is a fantastic technology whehter you will believe it or not

On a different not, back to your orignal comment.

I don't think the consumers are more "easily targeted" or "influenced."  Companies understand hardcore gamers (believe it or not) just as equally as casual gamers.

The main reason why Kinect and Wii have/will do so well in the coming years is because they are marketing to the Western culture.  If you notice, the main line up for Kinect and Wii has some form of fitness.  Western culture loves something they can do at home and have fun with friends and family AND do something healthy.  That's a dangerous combo.

The main problem with the original statement is the idea that gamers are not so "easily" targeted or influenced.  Nintendo and Microsoft understand both gamers quite well, with Sony continuing to aim for a highly specific market that they know just as well.

In less your not comparing casual gamers to core gamers.  In that case, I don't know what your talking about...

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Software sells the hardware...Yet it depends on the type of software.

Heavy niche genre games such as JRPGs, WRPGs, Sandbox, FPS, Sports, and racing games can easily sell 5 million in the first month. However, if you look at the legs of a Fallout: New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, Fable 3 and on, you will see they don't sell like a Wii Sports whom many "core" games easily write off as "casual" game.

Looking at the list provided by Kivi95, I don't see any 20 million sellers there like a Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or Wii Play type game that we all know Microsoft is trying to create for the Kinect.

All Kinect has to is have  Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Child of Eden or some other Kinect game catch fire in 2011 and sell 15 million plus to burn Sony, while Sony needs 3 to 4 of those titles to sell in the 5 million range. This is the power of a platform aimed at your consumer who is unfamiliar with video games.

Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Fit Plus were not released in 2010, but accounted for more than 48 million in software sales in 2010*. All exclusive, not multiplatform to boost and inflate sales like a CoD game. If there is a Kinect Fit, then you can kiss Sony's vaunted 2011 exclusive list goodbye.

* = http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83386/top-selling-games-of-2010-multi-wii-ps3-psp-ds-x360/

Killiana1a said:

Software sells the hardware...Yet it depends on the type of software.

Heavy niche genre games such as JRPGs, WRPGs, Sandbox, FPS, Sports, and racing games can easily sell 5 million in the first month. However, if you look at the legs of a Fallout: New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, Fable 3 and on, you will see they don't sell like a Wii Sports whom many "core" games easily write off as "casual" game.

Looking at the list provided by Kivi95, I don't see any 20 million sellers there like a Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or Wii Play type game that we all know Microsoft is trying to create for the Kinect.

All Kinect has to is have  Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Child of Eden or some other Kinect game catch fire in 2011 and sell 15 million plus to burn Sony, while Sony needs 3 to 4 of those titles to sell in the 5 million range. This is the power of a platform aimed at your consumer who is unfamiliar with video games.

Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Fit Plus were not released in 2010, but accounted for more than 48 million in software sales in 2010*. All exclusive, not multiplatform to boost and inflate sales like a CoD game. If there is a Kinect Fit, then you can kiss Sony's vaunted 2011 exclusive list goodbye.

* = http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83386/top-selling-games-of-2010-multi-wii-ps3-psp-ds-x360/

Your Shape Fitness and Zoomba workout thingy is Kinect Fit.

Good analysis all around.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

AnveL said:

casual & non-gamers will go for 360 with kinect & core gamers will go for PS3

I didn't realize that they stop selling all the old games when new ones come out.  /sarcasm

Someone who still doesn't have either HD console isn't just looking at what games are coming out this year, there are dozens of killer games for both systems at this point.  If at this point there hasn't been ANY games released on either system that has convinced you to buy a 360 or PS3 then likely none of the PS3 games coming out this year, which are almost all sequels, are what will spur the sale.  It'll come down to other reasons. I think Kinect can be one of those reasons for the 360 because it is offering something new, none of the PS3 exclusives can really say that.  Except for maybe Last Guardian.

I also don't agree with the belief that only casual gamers enjoy Kinect.  Core gamers can enjoy casual titles too.  Even more so if you're a gamer with kids.  At that point getting a 360 with Kinect if you don't already have one is a no-brainer.