By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - kinect vs. sony's exclusives 2011

daroamer said:
AnveL said:

casual & non-gamers will go for 360 with kinect & core gamers will go for PS3

I didn't realize that they stop selling all the old games when new ones come out.  /sarcasm

Someone who still doesn't have either HD console isn't just looking at what games are coming out this year, there are dozens of killer games for both systems at this point.  If at this point there hasn't been ANY games released on either system that has convinced you to buy a 360 or PS3 then likely none of the PS3 games coming out this year, which are almost all sequels, are what will spur the sale.  It'll come down to other reasons. I think Kinect can be one of those reasons for the 360 because it is offering something new, none of the PS3 exclusives can really say that.  Except for maybe Last Guardian.

I also don't agree with the belief that only casual gamers enjoy Kinect.  Core gamers can enjoy casual titles too.  Even more so if you're a gamer with kids.  At that point getting a 360 with Kinect if you don't already have one is a no-brainer.

Totally agree.  Many of my gamer friends with kids actually got the Kinect to get in shape AND something to shove their kids on so that they can relax a little.  Nothing like watching your kids burn all the energy in them and not bothering you with a single thing.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

Around the Network

Full Kinect Games List here: http://123kinect.com/kinect-games/

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kinect is right HERE

O, and to answer your question:

I think the general opinion in this thread is spot on. 

Kinect expands the audience of the Xbox360, while Move (not an impressive list of games) nor the PS3 exclusives are going to do a great job at that for the Playstation. Microsoft's strategy has been spot-on, from price-cuts to slim, to Kinect.

Getting people to buy Kinect is not so hard, everyone I showed it to (casual/hardcore/average gamers) is impressed by the technology and walks away with a smile. Microsoft will sell millions of Xbox360's due to Kinect in 2011. 

I think exclusive games will do the trick for the PS3. Even if many are sequels, lets not forget that UC2 was also a sequel, so was God of war 3.

Sequels can sell systems as well, sometimes more than new IPs which are usually not even popular.

And the last guardian is a good new IP as well. And there will definitely be more PS games announced later on for the move. We have right now 2 games both announced last year.

A system doesn't have to sell to a different audience to sell more. Also, if the casual want a casual experience, its highly doubtful that they will go out and buy a more expensive option of kinect compared to the wii. And wii has more games than kinect as well.

But either way, I won't be disappointed. Sony is doing what they can, and I am happy for it.

maxer said:

Kinect expands the audience of the Xbox360, while Move (not an impressive list of games) nor the PS3 exclusives are going to do a great job at that for the Playstation. Microsoft's strategy has been spot-on, from price-cuts to slim, to Kinect.

Getting people to buy Kinect is not so hard, everyone I showed it to (casual/hardcore/average gamers) is impressed by the technology and walks away with a smile. Microsoft will sell millions of Xbox360's due to Kinect in 2011. 

1) at the expense of reducing their efforts on hardcore games.

2) i wouldnt call kinect games impressive either, atleast move is compatable with standard AAA games.

i think a lot of core xbox gamers will get a ps3 but new gamers will be more likely to get an xbox (until a ps3 price drop)

Around the Network

Kinect is going to make for a good year for Microsoft but (I just said "soft butt"--hee, hee!) those PS3 exclusives are going to make it a good year for gamers.  There's just too many great PS3 exclusives coming out in 2011!  We're all gonna go broke buying all of those PS3 exclusives!!  *shakes fist* Curse you, Sony!!

-Well, I'm not gonna go THAT broke since all I want are inFamous 2, No More Heroes, and Uncharted 3 but you get the idea.

d21lewis said:

Kinect is going to make for a good year for Microsoft but (I just said "soft butt"--hee, hee!) those PS3 exclusives are going to make it a good year for gamers.  There's just too many great PS3 exclusives coming out in 2011!  We're all gonna go broke buying all of those PS3 exclusives!!  *shakes fist* Curse you, Sony!!

-Well, I'm not gonna go THAT broke since all I want are inFamous 2, No More Heroes, and Uncharted 3 but you get the idea.

I am getting a deja vu.

Hehe

In terms of sales this year I think the Kinect is clearly going to drive alot more sales as Microsoft are putting alot behind the thing and it's had a really strong Christmas. It's getting that mainstream appeal must have appeal similiar to the Wii.

The PS3's exclusives arn't really about selling lots of new PS3's everytime one comes out now anymore, they're there to make Sony money and establish a strong base of franchises you associate with the console, so that when the PSP2 or PS4 comes out people are attatched to franchises exclusive to the system, causing them to buy it.

That's what happened with me and Socom anyway, only reason I bought a PS3, and it turned out to be utter trash :P.

AussieGecko said:
LivingMetal said:

NOWHERE did I ever said nor did I ever imply that Kinect was bad technology.  And this has nothing to do with Move.  Please don't take my standpoint so personal just because you don't agree with it by making things up.

WOW i apologise for that. That was a big misread on my side I apologise

Sure, bud.  Thanks.  I'll also try to be more cool with things..

fps_d0minat0r said:
maxer said:

1) at the expense of reducing their efforts on hardcore games.

2) i wouldnt call kinect games impressive either, atleast move is compatable with standard AAA games.

i think a lot of core xbox gamers will get a ps3 but new gamers will be more likely to get an xbox (until a ps3 price drop)

Thanks for your reply.

1) Could be, but not necessarily as Microsoft is not as first-party focused as Nintendo and Sony are. So, I am not expected a huge change there.

2) Well, at least they got commitment and games that were built from the ground up, instead of functionality that is bolted onto AAA titles. If you can play a lot of games without the Move, then the incentive to get the Move is low IMO. But this thread is not on Move vs Kinect. It is on PS3 exclusives vs. Kinect's impact. Therefore, my third point.

3) The core game market is not as big as the casual market; the core game market is already split between xbox360 and ps3 (/wii). I highly doubt that the amount of Xbox360 gamers that will buy a PS3 exclusives will have any seriuos impact on sales (compared to Kinect). Do not forget that I can get a couple of multi-platform (or Xbox360 exclusives) AND Kinect for the price of a PS3. Also, the potential of Kinect (including core-appealing hacks) is impressive (to say the least), and this may also keep the pondering core-gamer occupied long enough to not buy a PS3 just yet.

Another scenario for the core gamer: Kinect may help people that were not interested in gaming before (girlfriends) to finally play (for core achievements) with the core-gamer, leading to more acceptance of core gaming in other hours, leading to a better feeling for the console in the family :D.

Also, don't forget that loads of core Xbox360 gamers will not easily switch to a different platform (achievements, controller, friendslist, etc).

Summarized: I don't see the PS3 exclusives having the same impact on total sales as Kinect has.