By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - kinect vs. sony's exclusives 2011

Badassbab said:

Kinect will attract more customers. Move will do the same for Sony.

I disagree with the bolded part. Any momentum Move had on PS3 sales has almost disappeared completely. I don't see any enthusiasm for Move and sales of the Move units and especailly the Move games are abysmal currently.

I think Sony dropped the ball with Move. I wouldn't expect Move to generate anywhere close to the number of new PS3 sales as Kinect will generate new 360 sales in 2011 (and beyond).

Around the Network
pachoo5 said:
Chevinator123 said:
pachoo5 said:
cloud1161 said:

which is more likely to entice buyers to purchase the respective console?  will kinect cause more people to buy an xbox 360 or will ps3's exclusive titles cause more people to buy a ps3?  i think this is actually a pretty interesting topic.  i cant even decide which will sell more cuz kinect has a good bit of momentum and ps3's exclusives list is almost legendary.  discuss.

EDIT: i mean the actual kinect hardware vs ps3 exclusives, not the kinect games vs the ps3 games

Kinect should easily cause more 360 sales than PS3 sales. Looking at the list of PS3 exclusives in 2011, there are many nice games but I don't see any titles thare are really of the system moving variety:

Uncharted 3

Killzone 3

Little Big Planet 2

DC Universe Online

Last Guardian

Infamous 2

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One

Resistance 3

Twisted Metal

Really, the biggest games are probably Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 but neither are system movers IMO.

The momentum for Kinect, OTOH, is huge and still very strong. I don't see the momentum for Kinect dying off anytime soon and MS has promised that 2011 will have some very interesting Kinect titles (most of which haven't been announced yet).

do you even own a ps3..? cause all those games are verry big games and will get high reveiws

Yes I own a PS3. And yes, they are some big games but this late into the generation, a title has to be truly stupdendous to generate noticable system sales, and none of those titles have that sort of power. Really, do you think Uncharted 3 is going to generate many new PS3 sales? i certainly don't.

I agree with your sentiment...  It's not that the PS3 won't have incredibly good games that are only available if you have a PS3.  The problem is that this list aims at the core, the people who already own the PS3.  Sequels especially are catered to an existing audience, not a new one.

Jay520 said:

There will be 5 million gamers who will buy a PS3 for Killzone 3. 

So, a sequel to a game that sold less than 3 million originally is going to not only sell more than 5 million(which i think 
will happen for KZ3), but it will cause 5 million people to go out and buy a PS3?  Really?

landguy1 said:
Jay520 said:

So, a sequel to a game that sold less than 3 million originally is going to not only sell more than 5 million(which i think 
will happen for KZ3), but it will cause 5 million people to go out and buy a PS3?  Really?

LOL!! No. KZ2 didn't really push any PS3 sales, and KZ3 will do pretty much the same thing. It took a couple of years for KZ2 to sale what is has sold so far. KZ3 show sale more of course, but like Forza 3 for the XBox 360, don't expect sales anywhere need 6-7 million. It'll probably sell about 4 million if it's lucky.

MightyGrogg said:
landguy1 said:
Jay520 said:

LOL!! No. KZ2 didn't really push any PS3 sales, and KZ3 will do pretty much the same thing. It took a couple of years for KZ2 to sale what is has sold so far. KZ3 show sale more of course, but like Forza 3 for the XBox 360, don't expect sales anywhere need 6-7 million. It'll probably sell about 4 million if it's lucky.

I agree, even though with the expanded base for the PS3, it might get over 5 million.  Still will not drive system sales...

Around the Network
pachoo5 said:
Badassbab said:

Kinect will attract more customers. Move will do the same for Sony.

I disagree with the bolded part. Any momentum Move had on PS3 sales has almost disappeared completely. I don't see any enthusiasm for Move and sales of the Move units and especailly the Move games are abysmal currently.

I think Sony dropped the ball with Move. I wouldn't expect Move to generate anywhere close to the number of new PS3 sales as Kinect will generate new 360 sales in 2011 (and beyond).

I wouldnt say Move sales are abysmal, no one expected it to be a breakthrough success, but it does have some good support next year so people will pick it up gradually. the thing with Move is that its seems when next gen starts Sony will use the same Move peripheral so people can simply use that with their PS4.

the difference between Move and Kinect is, Move was never meant to be a huge system seller, its just a motion control device to compete with the other consoles. if Kinect didnt succeed then 360 could well have dipped below what they dipped last year before the slim launched and Microsoft couldnt afford that imho.

landguy1 said:
MightyGrogg said:
landguy1 said:
Jay520 said:

I agree, even though with the expanded base for the PS3, it might get over 5 million.  Still will not drive system sales...

It's okay if you guys doubt  me... Just know I said it first when it does  happens.

Jay520 said:

Hope you're joking...

cloud1161 said:

which is more likely to entice buyers to purchase the respective console?  will kinect cause more people to buy an xbox 360 or will ps3's exclusive titles cause more people to buy a ps3?  i think this is actually a pretty interesting topic.  i cant even decide which will sell more cuz kinect has a good bit of momentum and ps3's exclusives list is almost legendary.  discuss.

EDIT: i mean the actual kinect hardware vs ps3 exclusives, not the kinect games vs the ps3 games

Kinect easily.

At work todday I heard some of my female work colleagues all talking about Kinect. They're age range is 30-50. They were saying how fun it was when they tried it out and how they were going to buy it in the future and what games to buy which are a laugh to play and which are good to keep fit.

I was pretty amazed and think word of mouth alone will carry Kinect.

Who knows...

all I know is that Im exited for a  lot of up comming excluisve games for ps3 this year!