By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Solid-Stark said:

Maybe.

PSP2 success in Japan is a given.

Theres quite a few things Sony would need to do to "win" the competition worldwide.

-Match price of 3DS or launch at cheaper price.

-Core launch titles for all audiences! (Monster Hunter, Uncherted, Call of Duty, etc.)*Kid games too!

-Convenient technology.(battery life, touch screen, two analogs, etc.)

-PSP BC*

-Trophies! (Full PSN access featured in ps3)

In my opinion, they should ditch UMD and go for another medium. BUT make the PSP2 BC with PSP games only through Digital Download. AND make all Digital Download versions of games cheaper. (Ex. GH games be priced at $15 or less)Preferably, imagine if at launch the PSP2's online store(PSStore) has all PSP1 games priced at $10 or less and all minis including PS1 classics priced at $5. They would seriously challege Apples App Store.

In addition, integrate Android, that means the consumer can access both the PSStore for games and the Android App/Game store(Ex. Ipod Touch has access to app store like iphone)

Last of all a definite win, the PSPExperia phone is also a PSP2(Digital Download only)

Oh yeah and marketing :D

I should do my own thread with this post.

I

So, you want Sony to sell PSP2 at $250 or less which would cost them in the $1000?

PSPPhone is only going to play PSP games, otherwise, they'd call it PSP2Phone.

Around the Network

I really thought this was a joke thread...then I entered and read  the OP....it is very implausible to think the psp2 will do as good as the PSP let alone dethrone the DS.  With the popularity of the iphone and smartphone based games the psp2 is going to have an uphill battle to match its predecessor's sales IMO

I admit my points in the OP are mostly wishful thinking but i dont agree with people saying 3ds has an amazing launch line up. Most of the games on the 3ds launch are just remakes. So for sony to have an amazing launch line up they need to just to remake games from ps2 and they will suddenly have "the best launch of all time?"

Anyways all I am trying to say here is that sony has an opportunity to take control of the handheld console market. It wasn't "magic" that made PS1 beat nintendo 64 and PS2 over dreamcast. From my understanding the PS2 tech wise was probably the most advanced console at the time even better than pc games for a year or two. Yet they still managed to make the PS2 cheaper than the dreamcast.

The same scenario can be applied to this. I think sony is aware that it has tough competition witht he ipod, 3ds, etc. And I really dont think they would charge more than $300 for a device that has less features.

Kenology said:

1). Yup, more console games on your handheld.  That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP.

Have you actually seen the launch titles for 3DS and some of the most hyped up games?

Metal Gear Solid 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Kart 3D
Street Fighter 3D
Riiiiidge Racer 3D
Winning Eleven 3D
BlazBlue 3D
Star Fox 3D
Saints Row
Splinter Cell
2 Resident Evil games

Looks like a lot of console games just put on there to me...

Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

1). Yup, more console games on your handheld.  That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP.

Have you actually seen the launch titles for 3DS and some of the most hyped up games?

Metal Gear Solid 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Kart 3D
Street Fighter 3D
Riiiiidge Racer 3D
Winning Eleven 3D
BlazBlue 3D
Star Fox 3D
Saints Row
Splinter Cell
2 Resident Evil games

That's only a bad thing when it's on the console you don't like.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Galaki said:
Solid-Stark said:

Maybe.

Theres quite a few things Sony would need to do to "win" the competition worldwide.

-Core launch titles for all audiences! (Monster Hunter, Uncherted, Call of Duty, etc.)*Kid games too!

-PSP BC*

In my opinion, they should ditch UMD and go for another medium. BUT make the PSP2 BC with PSP games only through Digital Download. AND make all Digital Download versions of games cheaper. (Ex. GH games be priced at $15 or less)Preferably, imagine if at launch the PSP2's online store(PSStore) has all PSP1 games priced at $10 or less and all minis including PS1 classics priced at $5. They would seriously challege Apples App Store.

In addition, integrate Android, that means the consumer can access both the PSStore for games and the Android App/Game store(Ex. Ipod Touch has access to app store like iphone)

Last of all a definite win, the PSPExperia phone is also a PSP2(Digital Download only)

I

So, you want Sony to sell PSP2 at $250 or less which would cost them in the $1000?

Mere speculation, but i understand your point, then again the thread is more of a "what if/should do" so i gave my thoughts.

As for the phone, I said "a definite win" to say it would be cool if it were to happen. Not to mention it hasn't been formally announced and no news on network features.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

kurasakiichimaru said:
Solid-Stark said:

Maybe.

-PSP BC*

I

Good Post. But I think it would be nice if PSP2 had the ability to make PSP games having better graphics. And I guess they should start porting the most popular PS2 games before launch...

An upscaler would be nice. Maybe some ps2 ports would be cool, but i kinda prefer if they use their resources for new/sequels/spinoffs .

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Galaki said:
Solid-Stark said:

Maybe.

-PSP BC*

I

'they' haven't called it anything yet. Least of which PSPhone...the most credible rumor suggests the name Xperia Play

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

Metal Gear Solid 3D
2 Resident Evil games

Yes it has those, but more importantly it has Nintendogs, Brain Training... etc - - - - that's the difference, and that's what the PSP was missing and why it wasn't nearly as successful as the DS

This time around 3DS has huge games from both types making a worse sernario for PSP2

miz1q2w3e said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

Metal Gear Solid 3D
2 Resident Evil games

Yes it has those, but more importantly it has Nintendogs, Brain Training... etc - - - - that's the difference, and that's what the PSP was missing and why it wasn't nearly as successful as the DS

This time around 3DS has huge games from both types making a worse sernario for PSP2

nope that's exactly what I pointed at. Ninty is focusing a great deal this time on core games, which is 'imo' a opportunity for Sony. If they can up their game on the casual front, they will be on a more or less even field when it comes to gaming.

and btw I wouldn't say psp was 'missing' games like that more like Sony didn't promote them as much as they should have, which I HOPE they do this time around. Core games were already ace on the psp, I have little doubt it will be the same on PSP2

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!