By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

1). Yup, more console games on your handheld.  That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP.

Have you actually seen the launch titles for 3DS and some of the most hyped up games?

Metal Gear Solid 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Kart 3D
Street Fighter 3D
Riiiiidge Racer 3D
Winning Eleven 3D
BlazBlue 3D
Star Fox 3D
Saints Row
Splinter Cell
2 Resident Evil games

Looks like a lot of console games just put on there to me...

I'm well aware of that list, but like I said earlier, the 3DS isn't gonna be pigeonholed into that type of category like the PSP was.  Look at the big picture and stop taking things out of context.  Unless you choose to look at the above list ignore Nintendo's own IPs and you purposely cut off and ignored the second point I made in response to MUGEN just for the purpose of debating the first one alone.

There will be plenty of expanded audience games like Nintendogs, Professor Layton, Rhythm Heaven, and Tomodatchi Collection.  Or do you believe that Nintendo won't have games like these available for the 3DS?

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:

Yes it has those, but more importantly it has Nintendogs, Brain Training... etc - - - - that's the difference, and that's what the PSP was missing and why it wasn't nearly as successful as the DS

This time around 3DS has huge games from both types making a worse sernario for PSP2

Did you read what I actually quoted?

"more console games on your handheld. That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP"

It's a stupid comment. And made even stupider by the fact that he's defending the 3DS in his arguement. A handheld with arguably more hyped up "console" like games releasing in its 1st year, than it's predecessor had in its entire lifetime.

Kenology said:

I'm well aware of that list, but like I said earlier, the 3DS isn't gonna be pigeonholed into that type of category like the PSP was.  Look at the big picture and stop taking things out of context.  Unless you choose to look at the above list ignore Nintendo's own IPs and you purposely cut off and ignored the second point I made in response to homer just for the purpose of debating the first one alone.

There will be plenty of expanded audience games like Nintendogs, Professor Layton, Rhythm Heaven, and Tomodatchi Collection.  Or do you believe that Nintendo won't have games like these available for the 3DS?

I'm not doubting at all that the 3DS wont get all those "expanded audience" games... I'm just saying what you said is stupid considering what the 3DS has releasing in its 1st year on the market.

I say that if Sony releases PSP2 around the same time as 3DS at 200$ with a half decent launch lineup and KB advertisements, were in for an interesting handheld console war.

M.U.G.E.N said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Yes it has those, but more importantly it has Nintendogs, Brain Training... etc - - - - that's the difference, and that's what the PSP was missing and why it wasn't nearly as successful as the DS

This time around 3DS has huge games from both types making a worse sernario for PSP2

nope that's exactly what I pointed at. Ninty is focusing a great deal this time on core games, which is 'imo' a opportunity for Sony. If they can up their game on the casual front, they will be on a more or less even field when it comes to gaming.

and btw I wouldn't say psp was 'missing' games like that more like Sony didn't promote them as much as they should have, which I HOPE they do this time around. Core games were already ace on the psp, I have little doubt it will be the same on PSP2

You're not following what I'm saying. Last time DS had a library of huge *non-console-like* games and they were hugely successful on it, it also had its share of console-like games too - -- while PSP focused mainly on a console experience on the go, having many ports of big console games come to IT and not the DS (at least not in the same form)

Now 3DS has taken that from the PSP WHILE ALSO still having its HUGE non-console franchises like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Nintendogs Cats, Professor Layton, Brain Training...etc **of which PSP has NONE as successful - - - PSP may have had some similar games but those weren't NEARLY as successful

@bolded: And what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo is the one with the core games "in the ace" this time, as Carl2291 so nicely demonstrated :)

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

nope that's exactly what I pointed at. Ninty is focusing a great deal this time on core games, which is 'imo' a opportunity for Sony. If they can up their game on the casual front, they will be on a more or less even field when it comes to gaming.

and btw I wouldn't say psp was 'missing' games like that more like Sony didn't promote them as much as they should have, which I HOPE they do this time around. Core games were already ace on the psp, I have little doubt it will be the same on PSP2

I think you're just trying to make something out of nothing, seeing more than what's actually there.    Everything Nintendo has slated for the 3DS thus far had a DS counterpart, so it really isn't evidence that they're "focusing a great deal this time on core games".

The only game that I know of that Nintendo has announced so far from a series that didn't appear on the NDS is Kid Icarus.  I see no evidence that Nintendo is focusing specifically on core games only.

Besides, this is only launch line-up.  We all know Nintendo has a shit ton of software in development that we don't know about.  Pretending that Nintendo only has core-centric games in development is a huge (and unrealistic) stretch, IMO.

Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:

I'm well aware of that list, but like I said earlier, the 3DS isn't gonna be pigeonholed into that type of category like the PSP was.  Look at the big picture and stop taking things out of context.  Unless you choose to look at the above list ignore Nintendo's own IPs and you purposely cut off and ignored the second point I made in response to homer just for the purpose of debating the first one alone.

I'm not doubting at all that the 3DS wont get all those "expanded audience" games... I'm just saying what you said is stupid considering what the 3DS has releasing in its 1st year on the market.

I don't think it's stupid.  I think it's a perfectly valid point. 

PSP's library was virtually only PS2/PS3 games made portable.  3DS will not have that issue irregardless of whatever titles you want to pick and choose from its launch window.  My point stands.

miz1q2w3e said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
miz1q2w3e said:

You're not following what I'm saying. Last time DS had a library of huge *non-console-like* games and they were hugely successful on it, it also had its share of console-like games too - -- while PSP focused mainly on a console experience on the go, having many ports of big console games come to IT and not the DS (at least not in the same form)

Now 3DS has taken that from the PSP WHILE ALSO still having its HUGE non-console franchises like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Nintendogs Cats, Professor Layton, Brain Training...etc **of which PSP has NONE as successful - - - PSP may have had some similar games but those weren't NEARLY as successful

@bolded: And what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo is the one with the core games "in the ace" this time, as Carl2291 so nicely demonstrated :)

no it's you who is missing what I'm saying. WHile 3S is trying to target core, sony can also target casual, it can lead to a situation like 360/ps3 where both consoles provide a somewhat similar image to non-gaming community.

and I'm sorry but even without knowing the psp2 line up, I can gurantee the PSp2 core line up will be worse case scenario will have games that will at least match the quality of the 3ds line up. Heck games like DOA and such, you can same level games on the PSP already even, graphics AND gameplay wise. and add another analog nub and it will be a way better experience for games like FPS genre. It's a bit too early to do these comparisons tho cuz we have NO idea what the line up for PSP2 are like. I HOPE to see it within the year tho. Tho I would say Tekken: Tag and Mortal Kombat games are a given at this point.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

FiredBat said:

I say that if Sony releases PSP2 around the same time as 3DS at 200$ with a half decent launch lineup and KB advertisements, were in for an interesting handheld console war.

Hasn't even been announced yet, so guess we can forget about that.

Im sceptical as to wether it will actually beat the 3ds but i think its going to take alot bigger market share this time. maybe a 45% 55% 

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.