By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Galaki said:
kurasakiichimaru said:

That really depends on the price of PSP2, games at launch and the functions it has... PSP was a good device, it just so happen that it became a target of piracy even worse than DS.

Yup. There's no piracy on the DS at all

There is but it isn't that big as PSP...

Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association, CESA, revealed today the list of the most pirated PSP games, according to their data Dissidia: Final Fantasy was the most pirated game with 5,281,223 downloads.

These are the top pirated PSP games developed in Japan:

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

5,281,223 downloads worth 30,631 million yen ($335 million)

Phantasy Star Portable 2
4,665,510 downloads worth 22,394 million yen ($245 million)

Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
2,072,942 downloads worth 9,950 million yen ($109 million)

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
1,820,282 downloads worth 8,322 million yen ($91 million)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
1,223,881 downloads worth 7,098 million yen ($77 million)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus
1,1187,341 downloads worth 7,100 million yen ($77 million)

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2
1,131,319 downloads worth 5,603 million yen ($61 million)

According to CESA, Pokémon Platinum was illegally downloaded 2,071,006 times causing a loss of US$103 million,  Pokemon: Diamond is in the second spot 1,862,899 downloads.

Here is the list of the top downloaded games:

Pokémon Platinum

2,071,006 Downloads worth ¥9.5 billion (US$103 million).

Pokémon Diamond

1,862,899 downloads

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
1,551,085 downloads worth 8,835 million yen ($97 million).

Mario Party DS
1,470,231 downloads worth  6,722 million yen ($74 million).

New Super Mario Bros.
1,455,577 downloads worth 6,655 million yen ($73 million).

Mario Kart
1,447,781 downloads worth 6,619 million yen ($72 million).

Pokemon: SoulSilver
1,129,469 worth 5,164 million yen ($56 million).

CESA reports a total of 19,347,668 downloads for the top twenty DS games and 86 billion yen ($941 million) in damages.

see?!?

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:

Well I think targeting the older audience could be a double-edged sword. If word gets out of a way to hack 3DS in a widespread manner, it's going to have the same trouble as PSP had with piracy.

That's true.  But now you're just speculating/hoping.  The DS had trouble with piracy too, but it seems like only the core gamers ever bother while expanded audience has no problem paying for their games.  That's why I believe piracy effected the PSP to a much larger extent than the DS.

PSP2 still hasn't even been anounced yet. Who knows how badly Sony will screw it up...

Nintendo really hasn't made any mistakes with the 3DS thus far (good software launch, devs are motivated about it, games look good, decent specs, and its the only protable that has glasseless 3D which will sell a shitload of 3DS's on its own).

For PSP2 to beat the 3DS, Sony needs some real magic and Im not holding my breath for Sony to deliver a perfect product and pull off a perfect launch any time soon.

Kenology said:

M.U.G.E.N said:

1). I also think if PSP2 can target certain gamers they can pull ahead. COD/KZ on the go or a game like WOW on the go would be amazing. 

2). Also from the line up of games to 3ds, I hear the argument that Ninty has now games to target games that PSP used to target, which I see as an opportunity for Sony actually.

1). Yup, more console games on your handheld.  That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP.

2). No, that means Nintendo wants to capture Sony's core crowd in addition to the mainstream crowd.  Guess you didn't notice a new Layton game and that Nintendogs sequel there.  And you can bet more Brain Trainings, Rhythm Heavens, Tomagotchi Collections are on the way as well.  Nintendo  is not abandoning the mainstream gamers to focus solely on a niche core demographic.  That would be bass ackwards.

Think you didn't read my post completely or something? I did notice layton there lol heck that's like my most anticipated game on the 3ds

1. I don't know what you are trying to say here. Many console 'ip's did pretty well on the PSP. Ofcourse you can find some that didn't do too good but you can definitely find some that did good. And intendo is releasing heaps of games on the same category. MGS, DOA, RE etc etc. Why do some of you fans say this and turn around and applaud the Nintendo line up is beyond me. They are entering the same scenario here and it's good. This core games on the go doesn't work is total BS.And PSP is a success. For the millionth time, just because competition did better doesn't mean psp was a failure.

2. I'm not saying Nintendo is abandoning the usual DS crowd here. But their intenions, as you said, are clear. They want to target the core demographic the psp used to target. I'm saying that PSP can now make more casual games and target them as well as the core as they used to.

I think some of you are looking for things that aren't there. No one is saying 3ds is doomed. Just that IF sony plays their cards right, they have a real good chance to perform way better next gen in the handheld market. And hey not like it will be the first time Giants fall from grace in the industry right. So who knows

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Kenology said:
Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:

How does the 3DS have an awesome launch line-up other than Professor laton? Yeah some good games are coming later but not at start...

That's a reasonable opinion.  But how do you think those games will do at retail?  Look beyond your own personal tastes, how do you think many of those game will perform?

You may not buy a 3DS for Nintendogs, but...

I will not buy any of those games from the launch line-up. They look like garbage to me. Their are ones later I would get though.

Right.  But "unfortunately", people don't base their game system purchasing decisons based on Wagram's own personal preference in games.

You're stating that another reason why the PSP2 has a chance at dethrowning the 3DS is becuase the 3DS has a lackluster launch line-up.  I'm just pointing out why that logic is problematic.

You should check out the sales history of Nintendogs, the Pro Evo series, and Professor Layton (which you've mentioned).

Street Fighter IV, Samurai Warriors, and Ridge Racer have the potential to be moderate hits.

The only questions marks are Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike and Puzzle Bobble 3D.

I think you need to check your reading skills buddy. I didn't once say anywhere in the thread that Sony was dethroning anyone. I merely stated that Nintendo shouldn't get cocky or they will fall as well as the fact that I dislike the 3DS lineup.

Hey, don't get mad at me... I'm just saying all this in response to what you said (or now claiming you didn't say.  Though clearly it was another bulleted point in response and in addition to the ones listed in the OP).

When discussions result in ad hominem attacks...!

See ya.

What I said had nothing to do with Sony. It was merely a post about why I feel that Nintendo could fall to someone else. I'm not saying anywhere that the PSP2 will do better. So...um YEAH

Around the Network
Kenology said:
kurasakiichimaru said:

Well I think targeting the older audience could be a double-edged sword. If word gets out of a way to hack 3DS in a widespread manner, it's going to have the same trouble as PSP had with piracy.

That's true.  But now you're just speculating/hoping.  The DS had trouble with piracy too, but it seems like only the core gamers ever bother while expanded audience has no problem paying for their games.  That's why I believe piracy effected the PSP to a much larger extent than the DS.

Probably. But hey, who knew PSP would be a den of pirates before it launch. But atleast it was successful enough to make itself a threat and make Nintendo aim for the "Hardcore" audience that PSP had.

kurasakiichimaru said:
Kenology said:

Probably. But hey, who knew PSP would be a den of pirates before it launch. But atleast it was successful enough to make itself a threat and make Nintendo aim for the "Hardcore" audience that PSP had.

I think saying the PSP was a threat is a huge overstatment, lol.  But if it makes people feel better, I guess.

Kenology said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
Kenology said:

I think saying the PSP was a threat is a huge overstatment, lol.  But if it makes people feel better, I guess.

I guess 60 Million is not a big enough pie to take... So Nintendo should leave it alone, right?

Maybe.

PSP2 success in Japan is a given.

Theres quite a few things Sony would need to do to "win" the competition worldwide.

-Match price of 3DS or launch at cheaper price.

-Core launch titles for all audiences! (Monster Hunter, Uncherted, Call of Duty, etc.)*Kid games too!

-Convenient technology.(battery life, touch screen, two analogs, etc.)

-PSP BC*

-Trophies! (Full PSN access featured in ps3)

In my opinion, they should ditch UMD and go for another medium. BUT make the PSP2 BC with PSP games only through Digital Download. AND make all Digital Download versions of games cheaper. (Ex. GH games be priced at $15 or less)Preferably, imagine if at launch the PSP2's online store(PSStore) has all PSP1 games priced at $10 or less and all minis including PS1 classics priced at $5. They would seriously challege Apples App Store.

In addition, integrate Android, that means the consumer can access both the PSStore for games and the Android App/Game store(Ex. Ipod Touch has access to app store like iphone)

Last of all a definite win, the PSPExperia phone is also a PSP2(Digital Download only)

Oh yeah and marketing :D

I should do my own thread with this post.

I

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:

Maybe.

PSP2 success in Japan is a given.

Theres quite a few things Sony would need to do to "win" the competition worldwide.

-Match price of 3DS or launch at cheaper price.

-Core launch titles for all audiences! (Monster Hunter, Uncherted, Call of Duty, etc.)*Kid games too!

-Convenient technology.(battery life, touch screen, two analogs, etc.)

-PSP BC*

-Trophies! (Full PSN access featured in ps3)

In my opinion, they should ditch UMD and go for another medium. BUT make the PSP2 BC with PSP games only through Digital Download. AND make all Digital Download versions of games cheaper. (Ex. GH games be priced at $15 or less)Preferably, imagine if at launch the PSP2's online store(PSStore) has all PSP1 games priced at $10 or less and all minis including PS1 classics priced at $5. They would seriously challege Apples App Store.

In addition, integrate Android, that means the consumer can access both the PSStore for games and the Android App/Game store(Ex. Ipod Touch has access to app store like iphone)

Last of all a definite win, the PSPExperia phone is also a PSP2(Digital Download only)

Oh yeah and marketing :D

I should do my own thread with this post.

I

Good Post. But I think it would be nice if PSP2 had the ability to make PSP games having better graphics. And I guess they should start porting the most popular PS2 games before launch...