By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Kenology said:
Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:

How does the 3DS have an awesome launch line-up other than Professor laton? Yeah some good games are coming later but not at start...

That's a reasonable opinion.  But how do you think those games will do at retail?  Look beyond your own personal tastes, how do you think many of those game will perform?

You may not buy a 3DS for Nintendogs, but...

I will not buy any of those games from the launch line-up. They look like garbage to me. Their are ones later I would get though.

Right.  But "unfortunately", people don't base their game system purchasing decisons based on Wagram's own personal preference in games.

You're stating that another reason why the PSP2 has a chance at dethrowning the 3DS is becuase the 3DS has a lackluster launch line-up.  I'm just pointing out why that logic is problematic.

You should check out the sales history of Nintendogs, the Pro Evo series, and Professor Layton (which you've mentioned).

Street Fighter IV, Samurai Warriors, and Ridge Racer have the potential to be moderate hits.

The only questions marks are Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike and Puzzle Bobble 3D.

I think you need to check your reading skills buddy. I didn't once say anywhere in the thread that Sony was dethroning anyone. I merely stated that Nintendo shouldn't get cocky or they will fall as well as the fact that I dislike the 3DS lineup.

Around the Network

I think OP is just trying to be first to claim 3DS d0med.

There isn't a hope in hell that the PSP2 will sell anywhere near as much as the 3DS. The casual crowd will be attracted to Nintendogs, Professor Layton and Puzzle Bobble and the hardcore crowd will be attracted to Super Street Fighter IV, Pro Evo, Samurai Warriors and both demographics will be interested in Ridge Racer. And these are just the Japanese launch titles we're talking about here, we'll probably see Ocarina at least added to the launch list in Europe and the States.

And probably not too far after it's launched worldwide we'll end up seeing the likes of Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Mercenaries and MGS 3D.

As for the price point, I think that Nintendo will have learnt a valuable lesson from the failure of the PSP Go and release it for less than $249.99, my guess would be $199.99 with us lot unlucky enough to live in the UK getting robbed, as per usual, for £199.99.

Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:

How does the 3DS have an awesome launch line-up other than Professor laton? Yeah some good games are coming later but not at start...

That's a reasonable opinion.  But how do you think those games will do at retail?  Look beyond your own personal tastes, how do you think many of those game will perform?

I will not buy any of those games from the launch line-up. They look like garbage to me. Their are ones later I would get though.

Right.  But "unfortunately", people don't base their game system purchasing decisons based on Wagram's own personal preference in games.

You're stating that another reason why the PSP2 has a chance at dethrowning the 3DS is becuase the 3DS has a lackluster launch line-up.  I'm just pointing out why that logic is problematic.

You should check out the sales history of Nintendogs, the Pro Evo series, and Professor Layton (which you've mentioned).

Street Fighter IV, Samurai Warriors, and Ridge Racer have the potential to be moderate hits.

The only questions marks are Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike and Puzzle Bobble 3D.

I think you need to check your reading skills buddy. I didn't once say anywhere in the thread that Sony was dethroning anyone. I merely stated that Nintendo shouldn't get cocky or they will fall as well as the fact that I dislike the 3DS lineup.

Yeah if Nintendo gets cocky they will end up like Sony.

The DS and the PS3 had terrible lineup too at their launch. Look at them now.

M.U.G.E.N said:

1). I also think if PSP2 can target certain gamers they can pull ahead. COD/KZ on the go or a game like WOW on the go would be amazing. 

2). Also from the line up of games to 3ds, I hear the argument that Ninty has now games to target games that PSP used to target, which I see as an opportunity for Sony actually.

1). Yup, more console games on your handheld.  That strategy didn't pay off much for the PSP.

2). No, that means Nintendo wants to capture Sony's core crowd in addition to the mainstream crowd.  Guess you didn't notice a new Layton game and that Nintendogs sequel there.  And you can bet more Brain Trainings, Rhythm Heavens, Tomagotchi Collections are on the way as well.  Nintendo  is not abandoning the mainstream gamers to focus solely on a niche core demographic.  That would be bass ackwards.

Around the Network

That really depends on the price of PSP2, games at launch and the functions it has... PSP was a good device, it just so happen that it became a target of piracy even worse than DS.

Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:
Kenology said:
Wagram said:

Hey, don't get mad at me... I'm just saying all this in response to what you said (or now claiming you didn't say.  Though clearly it was another bulleted point in response and in addition to the ones listed in the OP).

When discussions result in ad hominem attacks...!

See ya.

kurasakiichimaru said:

That really depends on the price of PSP2, games at launch and the functions it has... PSP was a good device, it just so happen that it became a target of piracy even worse than DS.

Yup. There's no piracy on the DS at all.

snowdog said:

There isn't a hope in hell that the PSP2 will sell anywhere near as much as the 3DS. The casual crowd will be attracted to Nintendogs, Professor Layton and Puzzle Bobble and the hardcore crowd will be attracted to Super Street Fighter IV, Pro Evo, Samurai Warriors and both demographics will be interested in Ridge Racer. And these are just the Japanese launch titles we're talking about here, we'll probably see Ocarina at least added to the launch list in Europe and the States.

And probably not too far after it's launched worldwide we'll end up seeing the likes of Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Mercenaries and MGS 3D.

As for the price point, I think that Nintendo will have learnt a valuable lesson from the failure of the PSP Go and release it for less than $249.99, my guess would be $199.99 with us lot unlucky enough to live in the UK getting robbed, as per usual, for £199.99.

Well I think targeting the older audience could be a double-edged sword. If word gets out of a way to hack 3DS in a widespread manner, it's going to have the same trouble as PSP had with piracy.

kurasakiichimaru said:

Not really actually. Some of the mistakes made with the PSP early was the idea of pushing the device as a "multimedia" gadget instead of a gaming device, also aside from Monster Hunter in japan they system lacks flagship titles exlusive for the console. The DS has Pokemon, Layton, Nintendogs among other (none of them have a console counterpart) those games are quite popular and people recognise those games as portable exclusive experiences PSO need that recognition instead of "small" versions of God of War, Little Big Planet or Motorstrom.