By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has a real chance of dethroning Nintendo 3DS

Wagram said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

not a chance in hell, sorry but nintendo rules the handheld market and will continue too for as long as they want too.

Saying that it will reign supreme just because it is Nintendo is exactly why Sony fell in 2006. If Nintendo has that attitude then they will fall...again

But right now as it stands, it does look like Nintendo would still have the edge, unless sony innovates like crazy. Graphics isn't innovation I am talking about. 

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Lets see:

• The 3DS has one of the best launch lineups of any system ever, this is including consoles.  The PSP2 does not yet have a launch lineup but when released it will be contending with the already established amazing 3DS library.  
  • The 3DS battery life isn't 3.5 hours, it's 3-5 and from what I've been reading, that's the lowest of the low estimate and people should expect something closer 6-8.  As for the PSP2, it looks to still be a disc based system so expect a comparable battery life.
  • The 3DS games price is the price of current PSP games price.  Considering this is because of rising dev costs due to the power of the system, I don't see PSP2 games price being any lower.
  • The PSPGo was $250 and, again, looking at what the PSP2 is said to be why do you expect it to be lower?  Also, the US price will likely be closer to $250.
  • The DS is popular amongst all age groups including parents.  The PSP isn't nearly as popular with the parents, name means a lot.

I'm not happy with the price and battery life of the 3DS but the OP is really just wishful thinking.

I agree with a lot of your points although disagree with a few.

1.) I doubt that the psp2 will use disc based media.

2.) I don't think brand name has as huge of an influence as some give it credit for. Look at the rise of the xbox , and the fall of the playstation brand. Casuals do not buy based on name, but price and games that suit their preferences. Also, what is seen as cool.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Yes, if PSP2:

1. Has something to appeal people.

2. Has better third-party support.

3. Has great million sellers like NSMB, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Brain Age.

4. Has a lower price than 3DS.

Also, 3.5 is the time 3DS need to charge battery. The battery is about 3-5 as Dsi.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Until we know anything about the PSP2 I don't think we can really judge. I do think though the PSP2 has got a good chance of doing well, as I think it's media capabilities could be a strong selling point combined with Sony's better online infastructure. 

However Sony need to get their **** sorted to make it work - all PSP2 games needs to be on the PS Store, online services on the console need to work and be useful and they need to sort the pricing of mini's / online retail games out as at the moment they're simply far too expensive compared to the iPhone's offerings (i.e. Angry Birds). They need to sort their software lineup out too - sure I wanted them to do awesome portable Uncharteds and God of Wars - but they need games I can play on a 20 minute train journey or whatever too, and they need to be more then just another tetris rehash or PSN store port.

This is the most challenging handheld generation yet for both Sony and Nintendo I think, as no one knows what effect the iPhone and similiar devices will have on the market. They both seem to be positioning their devices as high-end graphical type things to distinguish themselves - which is a good move - but I'm still not sure people with iPhones will feel they want another thing to carry around, better games or not.

twesterm said:

Lets see:

• The 3DS has one of the best launch lineups of any system ever, this is including consoles.  The PSP2 does not yet have a launch lineup but when released it will be contending with the already established amazing 3DS library.  
  • The 3DS battery life isn't 3.5 hours, it's 3-5 and from what I've been reading, that's the lowest of the low estimate and people should expect something closer 6-8.  As for the PSP2, it looks to still be a disc based system so expect a comparable battery life.
  • The 3DS games price is the price of current PSP games price.  Considering this is because of rising dev costs due to the power of the system, I don't see PSP2 games price being any lower.
  • The PSPGo was $250 and, again, looking at what the PSP2 is said to be why do you expect it to be lower?  Also, the US price will likely be closer to $250.
  • The DS is popular amongst all age groups including parents.  The PSP isn't nearly as popular with the parents, name means a lot.

I'm not happy with the price and battery life of the 3DS but the OP is really just wishful thinking.

I love when the thread is done with in its first page :)

The points in the OP aren't really possible - lower price on games? They'd have to make a product with the same specs as the current PSP and I REALLY don't see Sony doing that - unless they wanna go for a full-on apple app store type of senario - in that case it'd be in a different category than the 3DS - - not to mention several random devs stating that they were *impressed* with the new PSP device specs

So without further adieu: /thread

Around the Network

Funny how in other threads about the PSP2 being DOA, certain people moan and groan saying "the PSP2 isn't even announced yet" or "let's wait and see before we speculate" or "it's too early to have this discussion".  When it's the other way around, about the PSP2 being the victor over 3DS, suddenly these convos are alright to have! 

Anyways, my take on the OT is that all this wishful thinking is reminiscent to an earlier time...  Reminds me of 2005 and the DS vs. PSP speculation all over again... And we know how out-of-hand that got in retrospect.

I doubt this next handheld gen will end any differently.

homer said:

2.) I don't think brand name has as huge of an influence as some give it credit for. Look at the rise of the xbox , and the fall of the playstation brand. Casuals do not buy based on name, but price and games that suit their preferences. Also, what is seen as cool.

WHAT!?

You have #2 completely backwards.  Do you ever wonder why everything has i in front of it?  Because people that don't know any better or are uninformed buy almost stritcly off of brand name or what they've heard of.  Parents have heard of Nintendo, Mario, Zelda, Brain Age, Nintendogs, DS, etc.  The 3DS could be crap in a box at $300 and it will sell based purely off of those things.

Sony will just f*ck up with the PSP2 like they did with the PS3,let's be realistic here...xD.Just joking,but I don't think the PSP2 will beat the 3DS...It needs to be like 50$-100$ cheaper or to have something HUGE on it,something similar to  MHP3rd in Japan...but have the same effect all over the world.

How does the 3DS have an awesome launch line-up other than Professor laton? Yeah some good games are coming later but not at start...

twesterm said:
homer said:

WHAT!?

You have #2 completely backwards.  Do you ever wonder why everything has i in front of it?  Because people that don't know any better buy almost stritcly off of brand name or what they've heard of.  Parents have heard of Nintendo, Mario, Zelda, Brain Age, Nintendogs, DS, etc.  The 3DS could be crap in a box at $300 and it will sell based purely off of those things.

That's what they said about the PS3...