By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo does not release a killer app for 3DS launch?

Pineapple said:
forest-spirit said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

Launching all the big guns along with the 3DS would be a waste, because all new hardware sells out during its launch month anyway. Not to mention the 3DS will have a worldwide launch in February/March, making initial supply tighter.

Spreading out the killer apps over the course of the year will keep the momentum going as there will hardly be a month without a game worth talking about. Additionally, the 3DS is going to have good third party support from day one, so Nintendo doesn't have to carry the system entirely on its own.

I am posting to agree with RolStoppable.

Putting out killer apps during the first month or two is pointless.

Pretty much this.

Khuutra is such a clever person, I too agree with him.

I think so too.  Khuutra is one of my favs - he made my kickass avatar.  Since he agrees with Rol, I guess that'd make Rol one of my favs too?

Around the Network

Im sure they have something up their sleeves

BTW this is what the Japanese release schedule looks like according to the Nintendo of Japan site

February 26:
nintendogs cats (Nintendo)
Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
Samurai Warriors Chronicles (Tecmo Koei)
Puzzle Bobble 3D (Square Enix)
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft)
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level-5)

Spring 2011: 
Steel Diver (Nintendo)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)
PilotWings Resort (Nintendo)
Cubic Ninja (AQ Interactive)
Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing (Konami)
Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (Konami)
Professional Baseball Spirits 2001 (Konami)
Blazblue Continuum Shift II (Arc Systemworks)
Space Force Training (tentative) (IE Institute)
Fish On (tentative) (ASCII Media Works)
Resident Evil 3D The Mercenaries (Capcom)
Samurai Warriors Chronicle (Tecmo Koei)
Dead or Alive Dimensions (Tecmo Koei)
Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)
Puzzle Bobble 3D (Square Enix)
Super Black Bass Fishing (Starfish S-D)
Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)
NARUTO-Naruto - Shippuden Emaki solid Tsutae Shinobu! Strongest Shinobi Battle! (Tomy)
EST (tentative) (D3 Publisher)
Fishing (tentative) (D3 Publisher)
Han Hao Mature Bikkuriman (Nippon Ichi Software)
Sudoku Puzzles and Three of Puzzle Variety Nicoli (Hudson) 
Deca Sports 3D Sports (Hudson)
Gundam the 3D Battle (Namco)
Tales of the Abyss (Namco)
Pro Baseball Famista 2011 (Namco)
Ridge Racer 3D (Namco)
One Piece Unlimited SP (Namco)
Animal Resort (tentative) (Marvelous Entertainment)
Tank Beat 3 (tentative) (Milestone)
Right Brain Training DS: Shichida Form - Adult Speed Reading Training 3 (Milestone)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (Ubisoft)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Ubisoft)
Driver Renegade (Ubisoft)
Rabbids Travel Time (Ubisoft)
Runabout for Nintendo 3DS (tentative) (Rocket Company) 

Summer 2011
Surprise! Tobidasu! Magic Pen (tentative) (GAE)
Earthpedia (tentative) (Ken Satoru Educational Publishers)
Pichi Lemon Idol Debut (tentative) (Culture Brain)
Grand strategy for Nintendo 3DS (tentative) (SystemSoft Alpha Corp.)
Axis Tetris (tentative) (Hudson)
Crow 3D (Milestone)

Fall 2011
ZAOO (Digital Works Entertainment)
Death Demon (Digital Works Entertainment)

Winter 2011
Take the A Train 3D (tentative) (Artdink)

Year 2011
Kid Icarus Uprising (Nintendo)
Starfox 64 3D (Nintendo)
Project Love Plus for Nintendo 3DS (tentative) (Konami)
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater (Konami)
Hakuouki 3D (tentative) (IDEA)
Devil Survivor Overclock (Atlus)
Cute Puppy 3D (tentative) (MTO)
The Sims 3 (EA)
Gardens (EA)
Virus Shooter XX (Dorasu)
Omega Five (tentative) (Hudson)
Kororinpa Series (tentative) (Hudson)
Bonk (tentative) (Hudson)
Bomberman (tentative) (Hudson)
Touch! Double Pen Sports (Namco)
Kyaba Joppi for Nintendo 3DS (Level-5)
Fantasy Life (Level-5)
Medabots for Nintendo 3DS (tentative) (Rocket Company)

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24676

so do you think that after the first month of tech heads and Nintendo loyalists and people that are generally exited about games like Nintendogs and Layton etc won't sell the system out for the first two months, there won 't be enough killer apps to maintain momentum?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Additionally, here's the Japan launches for the Wii and DS.

Wii:

Week 1: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Warioware, Wii Play

Within half a year: Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Brain Academy Wii Degree, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

DS:

Week 1:  Super Mario 64, Warioware, Pokemon Dash, Band Brothers,

Within half a year: Yoshi Touch & Go, Touch Kirby, Brain Training, Nintendogs

Neither had very strong lineup from scratch at all.  The 3DS looks to have something along the lines of

3DS:

Week 1: Nintendogs 2, Professor Layton,

Within half a year:  Ocarina of Time, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, Runabout for Nintendo 3DS, Grand Strategy 3DS

Note that in Japan, Layton is about the same size as portable Zeldas, both just slightly smaller than Super Mario 64 was.

The 3DS definitely has a stronger launch from Nintendo than the DS or Wii did.

Pineapple said:

Wii:

Within half a year: Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Brain Academy Wii Degree, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

DS:

Neither had very strong lineup from scratch at all.  The 3DS looks to have something along the lines of

3DS:

Within half a year:  Ocarina of Time, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, Runabout for Nintendo 3DS, Grand Strategy 3DS

Note that in Japan, Layton is about the same size as portable Zeldas, both just slightly smaller than Super Mario 64 was.

Hi Oyvovyoyv! You had the cutest Kirby avatar!

While 3DS has a stronger launch over Wii and DS,  Twilight Princess was still indeed a killer app.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Pineapple said:

Wii:

DS:

3DS:

While 3DS has a stronger launch over Wii and DS,  Twilight Princess was still indeed a killer app.

I'm not sure it was in Japan, actually. It actually sold less than the Warioware title it released together with, and just barely more than Super Paper Mario which released a bit later on it.

Zelda isn't that big anymore in Japan. Twilight Princess is the 20th best selling game on the Wii, and the DS ones are #38 and #49. That said, I think Nintendo expected Twilight Princess to be a killer app, Wind Waker was the 5th best selling game on the GC in Japan.

Zelda is pretty much the only Nintendo series to have decreased in Japan (well, Zelda increased slightly from GBA to DS, but far less than everything else). Even the two Super Mario Galaxies, which both saw quite disappointing sales in Japan, increased over Super Mario Sunshine, although by very little.

Japan isn't that interested in Zeldas and 3D Marios anymore. Combined, the two Super Mario Galaxies, and Twilight Princess are lower than NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and nearly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Heck, Super Mario Galaxy was nicely outsold by Mario Party 8.

One might think that Ocarina of Time is the most important title on the 3DS, but Nintendogs, and probably Layton, are both going to outsell it. I doubt OoT 3DS will make a million, whereas Nintendogs has a slight shot at 2 million.

Pineapple said:
Snesboy said:
Pineapple said:

Wii:

DS:

3DS:

I'm not sure it was in Japan, actually. It actually sold less than the Warioware title it released together with, and just barely more than Super Paper Mario which released a bit later on it.

Zelda isn't that big anymore in Japan. Twilight Princess is the 20th best selling game on the Wii, and the DS ones are #38 and #49. That said, I think Nintendo expected Twilight Princess to be a killer app, Wind Waker was the 5th best selling game on the GC in Japan.

Zelda is pretty much the only Nintendo series to have decreased in Japan (well, Zelda increased slightly from GBA to DS, but far less than everything else). Even the two Super Mario Galaxies, which both saw quite disappointing sales in Japan, increased over Super Mario Sunshine, although by very little.

Japan isn't that interested in Zeldas and 3D Marios anymore. Combined, the two Super Mario Galaxies, and Twilight Princess are lower than NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and nearly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Heck, Super Mario Galaxy was nicely outsold by Mario Party 8.

One might think that Ocarina of Time is the most important title on the 3DS, but Nintendogs, and probably Layton, are both going to outsell it. I doubt OoT 3DS will make a million, whereas Nintendogs has a slight shot at 2 million.

Are you talking about lifetime or otherwise?

As for the rest of your post, well spoken and I agree.

Well, the DS one was even worse with Super Mario 64 DS which is not a killer app. But that's doesn't mean that the 3DS is good too. I barely care for any of the titles announced for the entire lineup, give me a decent 2D decent platformer and I'm sold.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Nintendo is getting much smarter with how they space out their new releases.  They probably have learned from all the dead spots in the Wii's schedule over the last 4-5 years.  Plus, Nintendo doesn't have to work as hard with all these good 3rd party games getting released. 

The only thing that concerns me is the price on these games.  If top games really are going to retail for $40 on the 3DS, I probably won't buy that many at release.  I rarely ever even pay $40 for HD-console gaming.  Also, 3rd parties are going to get pissed if some of their top dog IPs don't sell well on the 3DS.  With the crowded schedule of games being launched, there are certainly going to be good 3rd party games that sell under-expectation.  Nintendo has a delicate balance in maintaining 3rd party relations.  They haven't had to deal with these kind of issues since Super-Nintendo.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

nintendogs plus cats is power enough, don't forget its predecessor is a million seller even just in japan