By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo does not release a killer app for 3DS launch?

I just hope this site will be able to survive the upcoming HUGE 3DS numbers.It might collapse,ya know..?

Around the Network

bit off topic but sort of not

why didnt nintendo release a Nintendogs for the Wii when it first came out? hmm at that time it was really a huge hit on the DS.. kind of odd

Snesboy said:
Pineapple said:
Snesboy said:
Pineapple said:

Additionally, here's the Japan launches for the Wii and DS.

Wii:

Week 1: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Warioware, Wii Play

Within half a year: Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Brain Academy Wii Degree, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

DS:

Week 1:  Super Mario 64, Warioware, Pokemon Dash, Band Brothers,

Within half a year: Yoshi Touch & Go, Touch Kirby, Brain Training, Nintendogs

Neither had very strong lineup from scratch at all.  The 3DS looks to have something along the lines of

3DS:

Week 1: Nintendogs 2, Professor Layton,

Within half a year:  Ocarina of Time, Pilot Wings, Steel Diver, Runabout for Nintendo 3DS, Grand Strategy 3DS

Note that in Japan, Layton is about the same size as portable Zeldas, both just slightly smaller than Super Mario 64 was.

The 3DS definitely has a stronger launch from Nintendo than the DS or Wii did.

Hi Oyvovyoyv! You had the cutest Kirby avatar!

While 3DS has a stronger launch over Wii and DS,  Twilight Princess was still indeed a killer app.

I'm not sure it was in Japan, actually. It actually sold less than the Warioware title it released together with, and just barely more than Super Paper Mario which released a bit later on it.

Zelda isn't that big anymore in Japan. Twilight Princess is the 20th best selling game on the Wii, and the DS ones are #38 and #49. That said, I think Nintendo expected Twilight Princess to be a killer app, Wind Waker was the 5th best selling game on the GC in Japan.

Zelda is pretty much the only Nintendo series to have decreased in Japan (well, Zelda increased slightly from GBA to DS, but far less than everything else). Even the two Super Mario Galaxies, which both saw quite disappointing sales in Japan, increased over Super Mario Sunshine, although by very little.

Japan isn't that interested in Zeldas and 3D Marios anymore. Combined, the two Super Mario Galaxies, and Twilight Princess are lower than NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and nearly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Heck, Super Mario Galaxy was nicely outsold by Mario Party 8.

One might think that Ocarina of Time is the most important title on the 3DS, but Nintendogs, and probably Layton, are both going to outsell it. I doubt OoT 3DS will make a million, whereas Nintendogs has a slight shot at 2 million.

Are you talking about lifetime or otherwise?

As for the rest of your post, well spoken and I agree.

I'm talking lifetime in Japan.

A portable Zelda has never made a million in Japan (although Phantom Hourglass was close at 0.95 million). Nintendogs sold 1.95 million in Japan. I doubt Nintendogs 2 will outdo it there, but it could sell nearly as much or equal it.

PlaystaionGamer said:

why didnt nintendo release a Nintendogs for the Wii when it first came out? hmm at that time it was really a huge hit on the DS.. kind of odd

Some games work better in handhelds.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Pineapple said

A portable Zelda has never made a million in Japan (although Phantom Hourglass was close at 0.95 million). Nintendogs sold 1.95 million in Japan. I doubt Nintendogs 2 will outdo it there, but it could sell nearly as much or equal it.

Why would you think that? It's a first party launch title so evergreen-ness is pretty much guaranteed and nothing seems to seriously indicate 3DS selling less than DS in Japan. Plus, it has cats, which are far more popular in Japan (what's wrong with the Japanese, :O!?).

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Pineapple said

Why would you think that? It's a first party launch title so evergreen-ness is pretty much guaranteed and nothing seems to seriously indicate 3DS selling less than DS in Japan. Plus, it has cats, which are far more popular in Japan (what's wrong with the Japanese, :O!?).

When Nintendogs launced, it was kind of revolutionary. There hadn't been any really good pet sims on platforms other than the PC, and Nintendogs kind of did it near perfect on the first attempt.

Today, a pet sim on the DS/3DS isn't anything revolutionary. There have been scenarios where that didn't matter, though (like Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops, both of which weren't really anything majorly new, while Modern Warfare was). But generally, that means it won't get the momentum that the original did.

Kenology said:
Pineapple said:
forest-spirit said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

Launching all the big guns along with the 3DS would be a waste, because all new hardware sells out during its launch month anyway. Not to mention the 3DS will have a worldwide launch in February/March, making initial supply tighter.

Spreading out the killer apps over the course of the year will keep the momentum going as there will hardly be a month without a game worth talking about. Additionally, the 3DS is going to have good third party support from day one, so Nintendo doesn't have to carry the system entirely on its own.

I am posting to agree with RolStoppable.

Putting out killer apps during the first month or two is pointless.

Pretty much this.

Khuutra is such a clever person, I too agree with him.

I think so too.  Khuutra is one of my favs - he made my kickass avatar.  Since he agrees with Rol, I guess that'd make Rol one of my favs too?

I also agree

Plus, Nintendogs plus Cats is there, it's not A killer app, it's THE killer app, this thread is pretty much pointless

....So how long can we keep this quote pyramid going?

mysticwolf said:

zelda, kid icarus, and mario kart? that's not weak at all.

I think he's talking about launch titles, none of those count

I thought Zelda would be ready by launch.  Maybe Ninty wants to make sure the games work b4 they just throw them in the wild

Beuli2 said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Some games work better in handhelds.

true

but we dont know as we never got nintendogs Wii lol