By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo does not release a killer app for 3DS launch?

I am surprised that they don't have Zelda or a Mario ready for launch, but at the very least Nintendogs will probably do alright and SFIV might sell big due to its brand

Around the Network
Aiddon said:

I am surprised that they don't have Zelda or a Mario ready for launch, but at the very least Nintendogs will probably do alright and SFIV might sell big due to its brand

If they had bundled NSMB 3DS with the 3DS, you probably wouldn't be able to find one on the shelves for the first two-three years

Do you really want Nintendo to scare away all thirdparties by releasing every single killer app?? seriously that would leave thirdparties with 10% max of the market

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

RolStoppable said:

Launching all the big guns along with the 3DS would be a waste, because all new hardware sells out during its launch month anyway. Not to mention the 3DS will have a worldwide launch in February/March, making initial supply tighter.

Spreading out the killer apps over the course of the year will keep the momentum going as there will hardly be a month without a game worth talking about. Additionally, the 3DS is going to have good third party support from day one, so Nintendo doesn't have to carry the system entirely on its own.

I am posting to agree with RolStoppable.

Putting out killer apps during the first month or two is pointless.

The 3DS launched with weaker. As others have said, it took a while for it to get off the ground, and this definitely has a reasonably strong setup to suit most tastes

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Nintendogs (DS)
Nintendo
9.70 1.93 12.40 24.03

Given the above sales, I would call Nintendogs and Cats a killer app.

I am disapointed by the 3DS launch, Professor Layton is the only game I would consider getting. Don't care for Nintendogs and I'm not a big Street Fighter fan. I think 3DS will be like the DS and have a relatively slow start because of this. They should at least try to launch it with Paper Mario or Zelda OOT.

Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

Launching all the big guns along with the 3DS would be a waste, because all new hardware sells out during its launch month anyway. Not to mention the 3DS will have a worldwide launch in February/March, making initial supply tighter.

Spreading out the killer apps over the course of the year will keep the momentum going as there will hardly be a month without a game worth talking about. Additionally, the 3DS is going to have good third party support from day one, so Nintendo doesn't have to carry the system entirely on its own.

Pretty much this.

zelda, kid icarus, and mario kart? that's not weak at all.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

forest-spirit said:
Khuutra said:
RolStoppable said:

Pretty much this.

Khuutra is such a clever person, I too agree with him.