By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

Sales 66 30.70%

Reviews 149 69.30%

Total:215

call of duty...nuff said

Around the Network

In the example in the OP, it depends on the genre. If the 9.5 rated game is in a genre I don't like then I won't get it, if the 7.5 game is in a genre I like, then it might be worth checking out.

VGChartz

User opinions from regular posters (since i know their taste in games at least a bit) > reviews from few trusted portals > user opinions of unknown posters  > reviews from other portals

I don't care about sales since my taste is too diffrent from mainstream.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Michael-5 said:

It really depends on the game, sometimes I trust neither and I usually disect reviews to understand weather or not I would like the game. There are a lot of biased and over inflated reviews on the internet out there. Why did Medal of Honor get a 6/10 on some websites while Black Ops got 9/10? There isn't much of a difference, except CoD has a more difficult single player.

Generally I trust reviews more, but there are a lot of fun low rated games out there, like Front Mission, Project Sylpheed, Too Human, Infinite Undiscovery, and Mod Nation Racers to name a few. However these games are generally only fun to me because they are my type of game, so I understand why reviews in general are low. This is why it's important to disect a review. 9/10 for a game like God of War is great, but to me it's a game I could beat in a rental and has no replay value, or even a deep story, so it's not for me, at least not at full price. On the same token, Front Mission gets an average score of 6/10, but IMO it deserved at least an 8/10, it's about the same quality as the first Lost Planet.

Sales are essentially meaningless to me. Lost Odyssey, Demon Souls and Mass Effect 2 are IMO the best RPG's this generation, but Fable 2 outsold them all combined. Gears of War and Uncharted 2 are some of the best shooters this gen, but CoD outsells them both combined on only one of the consoles it is released on. Halo is fun too, but I think the gold lies in Uncharted Gears.

That's my opinion

I tell you why, because the difference in quality is HUGE between these two games.

Black Ops does EVERYTHING better than Medal of Honor. Really everything.

Barozi said:
Michael-5 said:

It really depends on the game, sometimes I trust neither and I usually disect reviews to understand weather or not I would like the game. There are a lot of biased and over inflated reviews on the internet out there. Why did Medal of Honor get a 6/10 on some websites while Black Ops got 9/10? There isn't much of a difference, except CoD has a more difficult single player.

Generally I trust reviews more, but there are a lot of fun low rated games out there, like Front Mission, Project Sylpheed, Too Human, Infinite Undiscovery, and Mod Nation Racers to name a few. However these games are generally only fun to me because they are my type of game, so I understand why reviews in general are low. This is why it's important to disect a review. 9/10 for a game like God of War is great, but to me it's a game I could beat in a rental and has no replay value, or even a deep story, so it's not for me, at least not at full price. On the same token, Front Mission gets an average score of 6/10, but IMO it deserved at least an 8/10, it's about the same quality as the first Lost Planet.

Sales are essentially meaningless to me. Lost Odyssey, Demon Souls and Mass Effect 2 are IMO the best RPG's this generation, but Fable 2 outsold them all combined. Gears of War and Uncharted 2 are some of the best shooters this gen, but CoD outsells them both combined on only one of the consoles it is released on. Halo is fun too, but I think the gold lies in Uncharted Gears.

That's my opinion

I tell you why, because the difference in quality is HUGE between these two games.

Black Ops does EVERYTHING better than Medal of Honor. Really everything.

It really does. Reviews > sales.

I mean c'mon. Would i go buy an Ipad because it is selling well? Fuck no.

Around the Network

Sales and reviews mean nothing.

Its all to your personal taste.

COD sales are huge and i simply don't like that game, it was only rental for me.

ME2 reviews are good, i bought it and didn't even finish it.

Chroniczaaa said:

I dont use either since they can both be very biased. sales = mw2 is greatest game on earth, review = gran turismo 5 is worst sim racing game, and both of those are so untrue that its not even funny.

Funny, reviews said the exact opposite

Sales and reviews!

Some of the best games of every gen tend to have both.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The obvious answer is: my own experience.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

from most trusted to least trusted.

1. the opinion of my friend garrett

2. the opinions of other vgcharters

3. my intuition about a game from watching game trailers

4. reviews/metacritic

sales are completely irrelavant.