By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - KINECT is NOT selling because of $500 Million Ad Budget

Euphoria14 said:
Wagram said:

My favorite game this gen is a fucking Xbox game. I'm looking forward to many things Xbox next year. I'm just not looking forward to garbage.

Wasn't it you that made that thread early 2010 praising Mass Effect 2, long before any rumors of it going to PS3?

I too am also in the same boat as you. Tales of Vesperia.

360 only where I live.

Yeah. I loved Mass Effect 2. I can't wait to buy part 3 for my 360. But my fav game is The Last Remnant. :P

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wagram said:

My favorite game this gen is a fucking Xbox game. I'm looking forward to many things Xbox next year. I'm just not looking forward to garbage.

Wasn't it you that made that thread early 2010 praising Mass Effect 2, long before any rumors of it going to PS3?

I too am also in the same boat as you. Tales of Vesperia.

360 only where I live.

Yeah. I loved Mass Effect 2. I can't wait to buy part 3 for my 360. But my fav game is The Last Remnant. :P

I bought that game on release as well. Upset me though that I had so many commanders that I was unable to use in mt party.

Either way, Team SaGa FTW!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

It hasn't even been out for that long and you think it's only 20% of advertising that has helped it? Damn... they wasted all that money for nothing....

kinect is a pure blast, my friends who all play the hardcore games mostly. when they tried kinect liked it alot and have been coming over a few times a week, just to play it.   that experience and fun they had with it, is  what has made 3 of them already buy kinect and a few others are on the verge of buying it as well. 

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

PizzaFaceGamer said:
psrock said:

I agree with you, but you are using the wrong point to proove it. Amazon is not a place to really read reviews, they are mostly made up and just by ignorant people.

Kinect is popular because it has a good buzz and is a terrific product backed up a great marketing hype using Oprah, Ellen to sell it.

BEST BUY REVIEWS

Best buy reviews are EXCELLENT as well.  I know amazon has some made up reviews which is why i only trust VERIFIED REVIEWS

Please tell me what drugs you are on because I'd love to take some! (This comment is in regards to the topic of the thread)

As for Reviews well here's a Verified Site for you http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1132215p1.html (Kinect Hardware 7.5 and most games are below a 6/10)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

Its a 50/50 thing just look at the latest Tony Hawk game, it had zero advertising and sold the least in the franchise.

Seece said:
Wagram said:
bannedagain said:
Wagram said:

I doubt it. It is more than likely purchased with the 4GB 360 and seen as a deal. Most people I know who have it shelved it already.

sure they did. Everyone I know that plays the sh-t out of it.

Well people do have different opinions. I'm sure that may enjoy it, but just as many more than likely dislike it.

You wish, give it up Wagram you try too hard.

OT: Yup seems to be getting crazy word of mouth, havn't met a person yet who hasn't enjoyed it apart from the odd 1 or few dozen PS3 members on this site.

Oh please. Why is it everytime I see a post being negative towards an action by Microsoft (even if it is warranted), someone claims it is butthurt ps3 fans? Sure some may be butthurt ps3 fans, but others dislike Kinect for other reasons which are completely warranted.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Trust me, if MS could have replicated this success without spending $500 million in marketing... they would have.  So don't second guess yourself in thinking that marketing is not a pivotal pillar in sales success.  If all distributors had to do was count on word of mouth, then they would.

Now obviously a lot of success is due to its popularity and word of mouth as well.  We'll see how this carries into 2011 and see where it can go.  If it can trend similarly to how Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus did then we have a mega hit.  But obviously we are talking about the cream of the crop there.  Going to be about software, continued strong marketing, and of course continued strong word of mouth.  

AlkamistStar said:

I'd say your spot on, 80% is word of mouth, and hands on time with Kinect. 20% is due to advertising.

Agree.

superchunk said:

Wrong.

The initial sales, i.e. Nov/Dec, are directly attributed to the massive advertising campaign.

The sales of 2011 and beyond (don't know why you think it will be around for "decades") will be based on word of mouth, which I agree is been very positive.

No, the marketing campaign included live demonstration. So many of the people who bought it week 1 tried it weeks previous to that. If it takes all of a week for a game to turn from hyped into flop because word of mouth travels even quicker with Facebook, txting, email etc today then it would have taken all of a week for Kinect to flop. The rest of the sales beyond the first week given the first week sales were a combination of hype/tried it can be considered educated purchases. Quite frankly the number of people who just bought it because it was on TV is so small as to be not worth talking about.

Tease.