By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - KINECT is NOT selling because of $500 Million Ad Budget

Wagram said:
Seece said:
daroamer said:
Wagram said:

I doubt it. It is more than likely purchased with the 4GB 360 and seen as a deal. Most people I know who have it shelved it already.

It's amazing how often you can look at someone's name on this site and know almost exactly what they're going to say before you read their post.

Of course this goes for the OPer too.

That is EXACTLY what you can do with Wagram, if he's in a MS/360/Kinect thread, he's dissing it.

My favorite game this gen is a fucking Xbox game. I'm looking forward to many things Xbox next year. I'm just not looking forward to garbage.

WOW, BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

So what game are you looking foward too. Diss Xbox 2011, Sure you already have it pre-ordered. Heard it comes with exclusive thread excuse and downplaying method guide. LOL

Around the Network
Immortal said:

Not at all. That's just being hopeful. Word of mouth takes place after the launch. If it's selling ridiculously a year from now, it's 'cause of word of mouth, but, for the moment, it's 360% because of advertisement.

I see what you did there ;)

-Edited for trolling-

thx1139 said:
BMaker11 said:
AussieGecko said:
BMaker11 said:
bannedagain said:

Typical for haters to come in and add that they think it's because jesus presented it on mtv one night. If it sucked it would have flopped by now. I see Just as many adds for move but yet I don't see the sales that Kinect has recieved.

You know the reason people bought it around me, THEY TRIED IT.  Thats over 5 people that bought it because they liked it. Not because the adds are so convincing that people just will go blow 300 like that. It's because it's a good product.

HERE COME THE HATERS. ARE THESE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SAY OR DID SAY BASICALLY THE SAME THING ABOUT THE WII.

You have seen a few different Kevin Butler ads on TV. Kinect had Burger King, Oprah, Ellen Degeneres, Walmart, etc.

people really need to stop typing etc when they have nothing else to add.

Yes initial sales are to do with advertising. As some people are saying the fact that it is still going strong is a lot to do with word of mouth

He said there's just as many Move ads as there are Kinect ads.....which just isn't true. Not to mention everything that Kinect did beyond conventional ads. I hardly consider it "having nothing else to add" when #1 dude was completely wrong, and #2 it was in directly addressing Kinect's sales based upon advertising and word of mouth. 

Now, let's put this all together. Kinect = more and better advertisement ---> more sales ---> more word of mouth. The great advertising is an indirect cause of more word of mouth. That's all anyone who disagrees with the thread OP is trying to say. 

You don't get word of mouth without the sales. And you don't get the sales without the advertisements

Would the more word of mouth be positive word of mouth if the product wasnt meeting expectations?

You dont get positive word of mouth with a negative product.

I edited a screw up I made in that post, but you understood it just fine lol

Anyway, would it get positive word of mouth if it were a bad product? Obviously not, but advertising leads to more sales. More people = more potential sales based on word of mouth. 

If 100 people bought Kinect and they all told 2 people how great it was, that could result in 200 more sales. But where did those initial sales come from? 

If it wasn't advertised as well, then the initial sales could be like 60-70 people. They could all still give it positive word of mouth to those same 2 people, but the sales would be 120-140 (obviously less than 200). 

Let's come to an agreement. Advertising and word of mouth go hand in hand (if the product is good). If you advertise well, you make more and more people cognizant of your product, and if it's good, they'll tell others about it, which will lead to sustained sales. *ALL* I was trying to say is that without the $500M ad budget, Kinect wouldn't have sold nearly as high, therefore it wouldn't have had such high initial sales, which means although the word of mouth could be great, the sustained sales would would less than what they are now

Kinect FTW!

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Word of mouth will show to be just if not more fruitful than advertisement.  Not saying the advertisement wasn't needed, just saying that these next few years will be interesting cause M$'s marketing campaign will be much lower because of word of mouth.  In less we see a revolutionary game with Kinect, which is possible if you fund it will like 10 million dollars.  That's chump change for M$.

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.