By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - KINECT is NOT selling because of $500 Million Ad Budget

KINECT is selling because people love it.  Yes, the budget may have brought people into stores to ask about KINECT, but the AMAZINGLY POSITIVE word of mouth is what will sell kinect for decades to come.  Just look at the OUTSTANDING reviews below.  These are real people who bought KINECT and loved it!  They are not gaming journalists being paid to review a piece of hardware. 

http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/product-reviews/B002BSA298/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

The immensly positive consumer reaction to KINECT has turned it into a cultural phenomenon. 

If I had to guess I would say 80% of KINECT'S success  can be attributed to a fun, quality gaming experience and the resulting positive word of mouth buzz.

And 20% of KINECT'S success can be attributed to advertising.

What do you think?

Around the Network

Agree 100% with this post!

Yep, I think you are spot on. People who played it at my house where impressed and thats why they bought it. Not because burger King Impressed them. Word of mouth with this device is only going to get bigger and thats why I say we will see Xbox have no less then 15 million units off the shelf in this next year.

Might be right, might be wrong.

We'll need to see if it continues to sell over the next 12 months.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

its a mix of both

a really cool idea

and

advertising to make people aware of it

Around the Network

Not at all. That's just being hopeful. Word of mouth takes place after the launch. If it's selling ridiculously a year from now, it's 'cause of word of mouth, but, for the moment, it's 360% because of advertisement.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I doubt it. It is more than likely purchased with the 4GB 360 and seen as a deal. Most people I know who have it shelved it already.

I thought you did this thread already? 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

You're probably right, although your percentages are also probably wrong.

A lot of advertising does help.

But being a whole bunch of fun helps it even more.

Will be really interesting to see how support is in the next year, and if it can keep up these "record breaking" sales.

bannedagain said:

Yep, I think you are spot on. People who played it at my house where impressed and thats why they bought it. Not because burger King Impressed them. Word of mouth with this device is only going to get bigger and thats why I say we will see Xbox have no less then 15 million units off the shelf in this next year.

EXACTLY!  Kinect is gonna be an absolute MONSTER in 2011.

Mark my words, you heard it here 1st. 

8-10 million kinects will be sold in 2011