By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Breaking News!DS tops PS2 and becomes No.1 WORLDWIDE!

Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

I'm not sure whether this is news or not, I just couldn't find any news about it.

PosConsoleAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
1 Nintendo DS (DS) 53.54 32.27 58.90 144.71
2 Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2) 54.22 23.27 63.19 140.68
3 Nintendo GameBoy (GB) 44.06 32.47 42.16 118.69

http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php

Sadly, this hapened around 4 weeks ago, so isn't really "breaking"

And the PS2 is undertracked on VGChartz so it really didn't happened yet :P

Sony counts all their SHIPPED units as sales. Not from stores to consumers.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

I'm not sure whether this is news or not, I just couldn't find any news about it.

Yea, and so does every company on their financial reports.  Your point?

thismeintiel said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

We're on VGChartz. They track from stores to consumers. I don't care about what companies say.

Snesboy said:
thismeintiel said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

We're on VGChartz. They track from stores to consumers. I don't care about what companies say.

ioi himself said that the PS2 is undertracked because it's harder for him to track some of the countries that the PS2 is selling well in so he simply doesn't track them at all.

Boutros said:
Snesboy said:
thismeintiel said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

ioi himself said that the PS2 is undertracked because it's harder for him to track some of the countries that the PS2 is selling well in so he simply doesn't track them at all.

Fine. You win. And no, I won't troll :)

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

Just a quick comment for those who say the DS can't be compared with the PS2 because many people buy multiple DS's: The PS2 had a quite high failure rate. Lots of people owned at least two units, and then you add those who updated to Slim units...

In fact, every person I know who ever had a PS2, bought at least two of them. Same applies to the Xbox 360, which had a very high failure rate AND an update.

Well, now you know someone that didnt, I only got 1 ps2 since 2003, and I know plenty people who only have had only one. 

As for the DS outselling the ps2, I think its a great achievement, but we also have to consider the growth of the market since then, and the great amount of marketshare the ps2 had against 2 other consoles. For this to not turn into a fanboy war its necesary to admit the merits of both system which have sold amazing for their respective times.

By "I know" I was talking about RL, because on the internetz I've heard of lots of people who still have their first PS2 with them, without buying a second one. I even knew of someone who still had their first gen (and by "first gen" I mean "DVD player software in the memory card") PS2 in working condition.

I wasn't trying to downplay the PS2 as a massive seller, but the DS catching up to the best selling video game system is quite a feat no matter what anyone says.

Snesboy said:
thismeintiel said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
macross said:

OOOkkay... So for example company says 140M shipped VGC says 141M sold then VGC is right? Cool, your world is awesome. And think a bit before posting, 9M console on shelves is simply not possible. And even ioi admits it's undertracked so yes you lost and your intention was to troll. =P

the whole confussion regarding Units shipped or sold and undertracking is really irrelevant because The DS WILL pass the PS2, even after the release of 3DS the Ds will still have strong numbers just like the PS2 did after the ps3 release, so It wouldn't surprise me that the DS ends up doing over 160 million LT, and to whether you accept if the DS is the best selling GAMING CONSOLE of all time is up to you but It is.

ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:

Official numbers...

Before 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
After 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html

Over 150 million sold at 30th September.

If you're adding production shipments and shipments, you're double counting units.  PS2 hasn't shipped over 150m yet.

No. Sony officially announced months ago the PS2 breaking the 150m.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/05/19/playstation-2-surpasses-unimaginable-150-million-units-milestone/ 

PlaystationLifestyle.net, A property of AtomicOnline, LLC

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

kitler53 said:
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:

The DS is a handheld.  A great one, I've bought two myself, but it's comparing a handheld to a home console.  I just don't find a handheld managing to sell more than a home console particularly impressive - if anything I guess I'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time.

I may just not get the demographics of handhelds right - or perhaps their growth has been slowed by smart phones, etc. this gen vs the general rise in gaming industry, but so far as I can see in theory they should sell more than consoles easily, particularly due to families.  I know friends who buy one console then four handhelds because they have four kids.  Really handhelds should have a huge advantage in potential userbase as they tend to be one to one for owners whereas many consoles are one to many for users.

Maybe I'm missing something.

The element that you're missing is that theorizing concerning the reason behind handheld sales trends does little to reflect the reality of it: the original Gameboy sold about 100 million units over the course of 12 years, and the GBA sold about 80 million. Both were outsold by the PS1 and PS2, and both will eventually be outsold by the Wii. The DS is the first handheld ever to sell as well as the PS2, much less better.

Whether or not it seems like this should be passe, it isn't, because it is unprecedented in the handheld space.

why compare the GB (118M) to the PS2(~150M) when chronologically the GB is much closer to the NES(61M) which it pales in comparison to.  in compariable time periods...the DS is NOT the first handheld to outsell it's console counter-part hence the relative lack of excitedment. 

it's a great milestone mind you but unprecedented...please.

Except that GameBoy and GameBoy Colour sold 118M TOGETHER. So you're comparing 2 vs. 1.