By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Breaking News!DS tops PS2 and becomes No.1 WORLDWIDE!

Around the Network

Yeah and when a console outsells a handheld, a thread is made for that. Pointless right?

Linkasf said:

Yeah and when a console outsells a handheld, a thread is made for that. Pointless right?

Nope, DS passing PS2 is data and no data that is true is pointless because it is a fact.  It may be insignificant, but not pointless.   Comparing sales of corn and PS3's might not be very useful, but it is still data and has a point if for nothing more than having the knowledge to say corn sells more that PS3's.

No data is pointless.

Just a quick comment for those who say the DS can't be compared with the PS2 because many people buy multiple DS's: The PS2 had a quite high failure rate. Lots of people owned at least two units, and then you add those who updated to Slim units...

In fact, every person I know who ever had a PS2, bought at least two of them. Same applies to the Xbox 360, which had a very high failure rate AND an update.

Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:

The DS is a handheld.  A great one, I've bought two myself, but it's comparing a handheld to a home console.  I just don't find a handheld managing to sell more than a home console particularly impressive - if anything I guess I'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time.

I may just not get the demographics of handhelds right - or perhaps their growth has been slowed by smart phones, etc. this gen vs the general rise in gaming industry, but so far as I can see in theory they should sell more than consoles easily, particularly due to families.  I know friends who buy one console then four handhelds because they have four kids.  Really handhelds should have a huge advantage in potential userbase as they tend to be one to one for owners whereas many consoles are one to many for users.

Maybe I'm missing something.

The element that you're missing is that theorizing concerning the reason behind handheld sales trends does little to reflect the reality of it: the original Gameboy sold about 100 million units over the course of 12 years, and the GBA sold about 80 million. Both were outsold by the PS1 and PS2, and both will eventually be outsold by the Wii. The DS is the first handheld ever to sell as well as the PS2, much less better.

Whether or not it seems like this should be passe, it isn't, because it is unprecedented in the handheld space.

why compare the GB (118M) to the PS2(~150M) when chronologically the GB is much closer to the NES(61M) which it pales in comparison to.  in compariable time periods...the DS is NOT the first handheld to outsell it's console counter-part hence the relative lack of excitedment. 

it's a great milestone mind you but unprecedented...please.

Around the Network

well it hasn't happened yet but it will Soon.

voty2000 said:
Linkasf said:

Nope, DS passing PS2 is data and no data that is true is pointless because it is a fact.  It may be insignificant, but not pointless.   Comparing sales of corn and PS3's might not be very useful, but it is still data and has a point if for nothing more than having the knowledge to say corn sells more that PS3's.

No data is pointless.

hasn't shoes sold more then all consoles ever made combined before shoes made it to market, and PC's aren't consoles(matter of opinion sadly opinions don't sell) and have out sold consoles for every gen and are the reall leaders in the console war.

and yet shoes have still sold more!

kitler53 said:
Khuutra said:

The element that you're missing is that theorizing concerning the reason behind handheld sales trends does little to reflect the reality of it: the original Gameboy sold about 100 million units over the course of 12 years, and the GBA sold about 80 million. Both were outsold by the PS1 and PS2, and both will eventually be outsold by the Wii. The DS is the first handheld ever to sell as well as the PS2, much less better.

Whether or not it seems like this should be passe, it isn't, because it is unprecedented in the handheld space.

=why compare the GB (118M) to the PS2(~150M) when chronologically the GB is much closer to the NES(61M) which it pales in comparison to.  in compariable time periods...the DS is NOT the first handheld to outsell it's console counter-part hence the relative lack of excitedment. 

it's a great milestone mind you but unprecedented...please.

Remind me how many major hardware revisions the GB went through and how many generations it took to hit those numbers? I believe it was two on the first, TWO AND A HALF on the second?

ethomaz said:
SaviorX said:

The PS2 shipped 143.15m 150.49m as of September 2010. Since the 1st week of September to Dec. 25th, VGC says it sold 1.6m

Odds are, the DS and PS2 are tied right now, and the DS will pass it NEXT week. :P

Fixed.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115962

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 27th Sep 2009 to 25th Dec 2010:

Console PS2
Total

140 5.9m = 145.9m sold; ~147m shipped.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
ethomaz said:
SaviorX said:

The PS2 shipped 143.15m 150.49m as of September 2010. Since the 1st week of September to Dec. 25th, VGC says it sold 1.6m

Odds are, the DS and PS2 are tied right now, and the DS will pass it NEXT week. :P

Fixed.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115962

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 27th Sep 2009 to 25th Dec 2010:

Console PS2
Total

140 5.9m = 145.9m sold; ~147m shipped.

Nope.

150.49m shipped... that's the official number from Sony financial for 30th September.

Now I can see more 2-3m shipped for 31th December... so ~153m shipped.