By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 has surpassed SNES sales.

I actually agree with you Puggs, passing NES in 2011 and (if handled right) GBA eventually seems really doable for 360.  Microsoft's done a fantastic job this gen imo.

Around the Network

i can see all three systems topping 80mil. Sony and Microsoft will not go to next gen until their systems stop selling. At the current rate sony has a few years to go. Microsoft did really well with kinect and seems to have a few years left as well. Nintendo has said they don't plan on releasing a new console any time soon and as long as they don't I really don't see anything that will prevent the ps3 and 360 from passing the 60, 70, and maybe even 80mil mark.

pachoo5 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well i won't say wht the current 3 won't pass but they will all make it in the top 5. dissagree if you may, but there is no debate here.

2010 predictions                                            2011 predictions

Wii 83m original prediction75m                                Wii 95m

PS3 44-47m original prediction45m                            PS3 60m

360 48-50m  original prediction as shown              360 58m

LOL, so you think PS3 will sell 14.5M in 2011 while 360 only sells about 7.5M...that is not happening.

360 will outsell PS3 in 2011 IMO.

well its not wht i think its just a projection, and if you notice throuhgtout this yr mine have always changed even when i said they wouldn't so don't think that they'll stay like that all yr. i expect more out of the big 3.

and look haw close my 2010 predictions are? im doing something right!

and as for what i think? well wht i think is definatly not about games consoles and there sells! its about the game im playing or will be playing when i log off VGC around 4:00 today. the game is KZ2 and i'm going to figure out the worst way to kill somebody when i get back online today.

the reall question is why does 360 and PS3 sells matter when neither can beat the Wii? in the words of rapper Nelly from his counrty grammer CD: 2 is not a winner and 3 nobody remembers! Wii is number one and that won't change. well that last part is my own little spin. the only thing id change is about 3rd place. people will remember PS3 for wht ever reason or 360 if PS3 passes it next yr or any yr for that matter!

supporter of the Wii/PS3 league.

Next stop NES and PSP!! Well done Microsoft!!!!!!!

Pineapple said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Pineapple said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well i won't say wht the current 3 won't pass but they will all make it in the top 5. dissagree if you may, but there is no debate here.

In order for them all to enter the top 5, only 2 systems from previous generations could have sold more than any of the machines. In other words, they'll all have to beat 102 million. That's not going to happen.

if you say so, and im only referring to home console sells and not hand helds.

im sure you dissagree with my sig to? owell no matter!

Oh, for home consoles only, it's a shoe in. That just means they all have to top the NES at 61 million, which they would all make even if the next generation consoles were announced tomorrow.

I'm quite opposed to just ignoring the handhelds, though.

srry i don't care to much for hand helds and i'd hate to be biase(but its happening right now)its not reall gaming? even with internet support for multiplayer support its just well the word hasn't been invented yet, and as far as you being opposed to ignoring handheld's! they should be included into market share.

until they are included into the market share with home consoles they should never be included in the sells for home console, but even with that said i'll find another reason as to why they shouldn't be included; even as i look to get a PSP2 and DSi?

Around the Network

Wow. Great turn around MS!

jarrod said:

I actually agree with you Puggs, passing NES in 2011 and (if handled right) GBA eventually seems really doable for 360.  Microsoft's done a fantastic job this gen imo.

Though Sony completely screwing up PS3 launch also helped greatly. Still of course they also have done great job.

holy crap I didnt realize that SNES kicked Genesis' ass that badly and so little Dreamcasts were sold??? No wonder Sega got out the the hardware biz

Very good result for MS.  I think all three consoles this gen are going to place fairly well, which is pretty amazing really. 

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

enrageorange said:

i can see all three systems topping 80mil. Sony and Microsoft will not go to next gen until their systems stop selling. At the current rate sony has a few years to go. Microsoft did really well with kinect and seems to have a few years left as well. Nintendo has said they don't plan on releasing a new console any time soon and as long as they don't I really don't see anything that will prevent the ps3 and 360 from passing the 60, 70, and maybe even 80mil mark.

Nintendo will release their Wii successor in 2012, possibly as early as Q1 2012 for Japan.  But it will probably be PS3-plus spec and not a full generational leap over the HD twins (similar to how 3DS is PSP-plus spec), so MS and Sony will have a little more breathing room and can hold out until as late as 2014 before doing their next gens (though I'd expect one to jump earlier, probably Sony first).  3rd parties will prefer that anyway, no one wants another generational leap (and the massive upfront investment losses that brings) anytime soon, and the possibly of adding a "Wii 2" to their middleware multiplatform driven PC/360/PS3 platform trifecta will be extremely attractive.  Get ready for RE5 Wii 2 edition to sell another 2 million...

As far as passing 80m, I can see how both 360 and PS3 could do it, but it's a stretch for both.  It means almost doubling their current ltds, which is a pretty high standard.  For PS3 especially, it don't really have the critical mass in any region imo (unlike 360 in America) and systems that can't manage top of the heap tend not to have the late gen legs to really carry themselves to the sorts of figures PS3 would need to hit that benchmarket.  There's also the issue of Kinect vs Move, the former being a certified mainstream hit and possible lifetime extender for 360, the latter being a relative non-starter and generally inconsequential to PS3.