By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 has surpassed SNES sales.

enrageorange said:
LivingMetal said:

And the SNES was such a better console.  Just was and still is.

Just an opinion from someone angry over nothing. No need to post this in this thread. No where did he state the 360 is a better console.

Wow.  If a common strong consensus bothers you that much over actual factual numbers maybe you're the one who's angry.  Just saying.

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

It's too be expected really, gaming is more popular now then it was then. It was only a matter of time. Now all 360 needs to do is sell a game over 20 million. Modern Warfare 3 might be able to do it.

that's not true. other than population growth and expansion in other countries there was no growth.

Sorry had to say it

And you base this on what? I repeat what Kyuubi Ricky said,  gaming is more popular today... Casual gaming. Even my aunt plays the Wii. These people didn't touch video games 20 years ago which was the snes era.

ArcticGabe said:

What an achievement over the original Xbox.

Well done.

LivingMetal said:
enrageorange said:
LivingMetal said:

Just an opinion from someone angry over nothing. No need to post this in this thread. No where did he state the 360 is a better console.

Wow.  If a common strong consensus bothers you that much over actual factual numbers maybe you're the one who's angry.  Just saying.

Come on metal we don't need any haters let the Microsoft fans on this site have fun. There used to be more, but it seems haters have drove most away. I miss the MS discussions they were always better than the Sony ones to me.

jarrod said:

As far as passing 80m, I can see how both 360 and PS3 could do it, but it's a stretch for both.  It means almost doubling their current ltds, which is a pretty high standard.  For PS3 especially, it don't really have the critical mass in any region imo (unlike 360 in America) and systems that can't manage top of the heap tend not to have the late gen legs to really carry themselves to the sorts of figures PS3 would need to hit that benchmarket.  There's also the issue of Kinect vs Move, the former being a certified mainstream hit and possible lifetime extender for 360, the latter being a relative non-starter and generally inconsequential to PS3.

It should be pretty easy actually. It's gonna be at ~60M at the end of 2011. Then it only needs to sell another 21m. 

Assuming PS4 doesn't release until 2013. PS3 could do 10m in 2012 and 10m in 2013, which would be reasonable. 

Around the Network

Credit where credit's due. Good job, MS.

I also never realized the DS was ahead of the ps2 already. DAYUM

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Mr Puggsly said:
KillerMan said:
jarrod said:

I actually agree with you Puggs, passing NES in 2011 and (if handled right) GBA eventually seems really doable for 360.  Microsoft's done a fantastic job this gen imo.

Though Sony completely screwing up PS3 launch also helped greatly. Still of course they also have done great job.

Well Sony capitialized on the mistakes Sega and Nintendo did in the past.

MS is doing the same now that Sony dropped the ball.

Well said.

killeryoshis said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

It's too be expected really, gaming is more popular now then it was then. It was only a matter of time. Now all 360 needs to do is sell a game over 20 million. Modern Warfare 3 might be able to do it.

that's not true. other than population growth and expansion in other countries there was no growth.

Sorry had to say it

i think it is true. When a got my SNES i was 12, something like 18 years ago, and nobody, at least in my house, knew about video games. Now i play games with my wife and kid. I think it is more popular now. Still great for the Xbox brand. 

killeryoshis said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Sorry had to say it

This is just plain out false. The game consoles still sell in pretty much only in North America, Europe and Australia. By VGChartz data, current generation consoles have sold less than 40 million outside of those areas. Or roughly 10%.

In the SNES generation, roughly 100 million consoles were sold. (50 30 10 5 minor consoles)
This generation, we're looking at between 250 and 300 million consoles.

Let's remove the sales from outside of Europe, Oseania and North America. That gives us 210-260 million consoles. Keep in mind that the SNES generation had some sales outside of these three continents, so this comparison makes it seem like there has been a smaller growth than there has.

Now, what has the population growth in North America, Europe and Australia been? By the courtesy of Gapminder.org, here's the 1990 vs 2010 numbers.

1990 2010 Difference  
United Kingdom 57.6 million 61.4 million 7%  
United States 250 million 306 million 22%  
Australia 16 million 21 million 31%  

Does that come close to explaining the increase in sales? No, not at all.

Gaming is far larger than it was during the SNES era.

LivingMetal said:
enrageorange said:
LivingMetal said:

except that actual factual numbers reflect the 360 being a better system. Not to mention the common consensus is that the 360 is the better system, it sold more.

- more games

- better technology

- more game support for more genres

- online capabilites.

Since when has opinion = fact overtaken vgchartz?  The Snes was amazing but to say that its better than the 360 is just plain false, just like comparing any piece of old technology to modern ones.

Back on topic though: congrats 360! Cant wait to see the PS3 make the same achievement as well.  The really awesome thing about this generation is that all consoles are seeing healthy sales, with no real loser.