By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Was Final Fantasy XIII worth all the fuss? No"- Kotaku

hikaruchan said:
Kyren said:
hikaruchan said:

I am tired of all these stupid FANBOY threads hating on FFXIII. EVERY FF Game is DIFFERENT from the last that is the point of FF. to say that an FF Game is a bad FF Game is an Oxymoron because like all other FF Games FFXIII should be judged as an individual game in its own right. IF you do not wont your Favorite Game series to CHANGE with every new Game then DO NOT PLAY FF GO PLAY DQ instead.

No, FF is a series and should not be judged individually. People look forward to it because it is FF not because its new. All FFs had a lot of things similar. FFXII-FFXIII had the least similarities. To me FF13 felt rushed despite taking so damn long to develop. 

FF7-10 practically had the same battle system except the method of getting skills were different (eg. Materia, Junction, Weapon Learning, Sphere Grid). FF7-10 was the result of combining the freedom of skill specialties and a driving story which was turning into the cinematic experience.

FF3,5- had job systems but weak story

FF4,6- had a strong story component

FF1,2- was more like a beta phase.

FF13- lower level of control over characters, specialization that forces similar builds for every player, lack of freedom, slow starter despite most FF games having a slow start FF13 had the slowest. FF was about finding your own path in defeating the game, FF13 was like a linear path that forced players to have the standard presets. The lack of classes and breaking system were huge flaws that contributed to this. I did like the break system at first but realized that it was shallow and created the loss of freedom over battles. FF12 had a lot more freedom in battles.

FF is a series in name only but that is it. if FANBOYS can not except  that FF is ABOUT CHANGE THEN THEY SHOULD NOT PLAY FF they SHOULD play DQ instead.  

So you're not a fan of the series then? Besides I grow tired of Akira Toriyama's art.

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

Around the Network

I don't know why people really care that final fantasy 13 sucked because unless you only play JRPGs, there are plenty of other great games out there.

Kyren said:
hikaruchan said:
Kyren said:
hikaruchan said:

I am tired of all these stupid FANBOY threads hating on FFXIII. EVERY FF Game is DIFFERENT from the last that is the point of FF. to say that an FF Game is a bad FF Game is an Oxymoron because like all other FF Games FFXIII should be judged as an individual game in its own right. IF you do not wont your Favorite Game series to CHANGE with every new Game then DO NOT PLAY FF GO PLAY DQ instead.

No, FF is a series and should not be judged individually. People look forward to it because it is FF not because its new. All FFs had a lot of things similar. FFXII-FFXIII had the least similarities. To me FF13 felt rushed despite taking so damn long to develop. 

FF7-10 practically had the same battle system except the method of getting skills were different (eg. Materia, Junction, Weapon Learning, Sphere Grid). FF7-10 was the result of combining the freedom of skill specialties and a driving story which was turning into the cinematic experience.

FF3,5- had job systems but weak story

FF4,6- had a strong story component

FF1,2- was more like a beta phase.

FF13- lower level of control over characters, specialization that forces similar builds for every player, lack of freedom, slow starter despite most FF games having a slow start FF13 had the slowest. FF was about finding your own path in defeating the game, FF13 was like a linear path that forced players to have the standard presets. The lack of classes and breaking system were huge flaws that contributed to this. I did like the break system at first but realized that it was shallow and created the loss of freedom over battles. FF12 had a lot more freedom in battles.

FF is a series in name only but that is it. if FANBOYS can not except  that FF is ABOUT CHANGE THEN THEY SHOULD NOT PLAY FF they SHOULD play DQ instead.  

So you're not a fan of the series then? Besides I grow tired of Akira Toriyama's art.

DO NOT EVER SAY I AM NOT A AN OF FF I am as big of a fan of FF as there is I have played and  love EVERY FF ever made except the online ones I am just not a retarded FANBOY who can not understand the design philosophy of FF is about CHANGE.

also FFX did not use ATB it used CTB time stud still until you executed an action FFX-2 had an ATB with a JOB System.     

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

That game really sucked, worst Final Fantasy ever I hope Square don't continue in the same path.

Around the Network

Worth all the fuss? Certainly not. I didn't really like it. But a lot of people loved it. I guess this just means that this series might not be for me any more, which is kinda sad but I think I'll live...

hikaruchan said:

DO NOT EVER SAY I AM NOT A AN OF FF

You are not a fan of Final Fantasy.

All kidding aside, you need to calm down, dude.  *Random Internet Person Says Something Upsetting* is a common occurence: if you're going to get worked up everytime that happens, you should not be on internet forums. 

noname2200 said:
hikaruchan said:

DO NOT EVER SAY I AM NOT A AN OF FF

You are not a fan of Final Fantasy.

All kidding aside, you need to calm down, dude.  *Random Internet Person Says Something Upsetting* is a common occurence: if you're going to get worked up everytime that happens, you should not be on internet forums. 

I am not getting worked up dude sorry if it looked that way I just felt like venting a bit for fun that is all.    

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Chibi.V.29 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wagram said:

The fanboy battles and meltfowns over the exclusitivity is stupid. The game is fantastic but people need to understand that from a business standpoint another console gives the opportunity to give more sales. It has got like 1.7M 360 sales which is GOOD. I wouldn't be suprised if Versus went multi. With the recent 90% profit cut you can bet your ass its coming.

Even if the game was exclusive it would still be nothing to go crazy over. That Final Fantasy was an insult to JRPG fans everywhere. This is why I vow this gen to buy Sakaguchi only titles this gen aside from Versus. Lost Odyssey was my FF this gen so far and The Last Story will be enjoyed on my friends Wii. No Original XIII character better show their face in Versus. From the backlash SE has received in Japan over exclusivity, I highly doubt it will get a multiplat release. I think this title will  be strictly PS3 to get the most out of the hardware which SE promised. There hasn't been a true PS3 exclusive that harnessed the PS3's power. This should be interesting to see. 

FFXIII is DEFINATLY better than lost odyssey. Sakaguchi isnt that great anymore imo :/

.....Wow. Welp more power to you in your beliefs. Lost Odyssey had an extremely emotional storyline, was longer,had more exploration, had branching characters with more likable identities. All FFXIII had on it was graphics....wow. Final Fantasy sold more, but on a technical level as far as JRPG's are concerned it is far from even being in lost odysseys ball park. Sakaguchi is still great which is why he's made titles for all three brands after his departure from SE. Nomura Sakaguchi= A golden game. Sakaguchi is great a creating direction and bringing life to a game, Nomura is more about a look. Nomura even looks like a FF character. FF titles have gone down hill in quality  since Sakaguchi left. There is no doubting this.

perpride said:
Rob-Ot said:
Wagram said:
Rob-Ot said:
perpride said:

blah blah blah. yet another thread complaining about FFXIII.

so fucking happy it's the best selling JRPG on both consoles and of the generation.

It doesn't deserve to be. Since your avatar has one of the few redeeming features of the game I'll hold back a big rant on how I don't understand why Final Fantasy still sells so well.

Hmmm, exactly how I feel about CoD.

If I had it my way Xenogears would have sold 5 times more than any Final Fantasy and Call Of Duty as much as any of the flop JRPG's do nowadays.

Xenogears was great. FFXIII was better. FFVII was even better than that.

Wait...what?....FFXIII was better than Xenogears? Ok...you're entitled to your opinion.