By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Was Final Fantasy XIII worth all the fuss? No"- Kotaku

hikaruchan said:

I am tired of all these stupid FANBOY threads hating on FFXIII. EVERY FF Game is DIFFERENT from the last that is the point of FF. to say that an FF Game is a bad FF Game is an Oxymoron because like all other FF Games FFXIII should be judged as an individual game in its own right. IF you do not wont your Favorite Game series to CHANGE with every new Game then DO NOT PLAY FF GO PLAY DQ instead.       

Without comparing it to anything as I've only completed one other FF fully, I still felt FFXIII was terrible.

Around the Network

If only Lost Odyssey or Last Story is on PS3, sigh. Just forget FFXIII ever exist, it is not a JPRG at all. PS3 owners can still hope for Tales of Xillia and Ni No Ku Ni though.

A203D said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
hikaruchan said:

I am tired of all these stupid FANBOY threads hating on FFXIII. EVERY FF Game is DIFFERENT from the last that is the point of FF. to say that FF Game is a bad FF Game is an Oxymoron because like all other FF Games FFXIII should be judged as an individual game in its own right. IF you do not wont your Favorite Game series to CHANGE with every new Game then DO NOT PLAY FF GO PLAY DQ instead.       

What fanboy thread? Um. I know every FF is supposed to be different. Sakaguchi planned it that way. Nomura is just holding onto the pieces he left behind. Every other game he creates today has his FF mark on it because of his signature style and direction, no matter which story is created. The new vision of FF is quite linear left alone to Nomura. Normura was merely an artist and writer taking direction from Sakaguchi and now he directs the show in his place. Nomura is a great artist, but not a great producer.

And what FF games has Nomura directed/produced again other then Final Fantasy Versus XIII which hasn't even came out yet?

Nomura has done a great job with Kingdom Hearts, and i think he had a lot of input in FF7 which is why he has such a strong position in Square, despite the fact hes an artist. generally he has a very good reputation, however he also directed Advent Children, and while that was an excellent action fest. i felt the script, and characters were far from their humble beginnings on the PS1. and imo it wasnt a good film.

The problem is, hirukuchan, Final Fantasy 13 is not Final Fantasy. its not an RPG as we know it; from Kitase and Toriyama themselves. as far as i'm concerned, Final Fantasy is Sakaguchi's series, he would have never allowed FF13 to be produced that way if he was still with Square, and FF13 is not a true Final Fantasy. and let me remind fans, FF13 was never designed for you, you were all going to buy it anyway. and Sakaguchi would not have done this to the series we love.

Nomura directed Advent Children (meaning he was responsible for the excellent action fest you saw on the film). Kazushige Nojima was the one who wrote it. So yeah, what are you talking about? Why is everyone getting on a man who has done nothing more then draw the characters in the FF series (except for FFVII in which he was the original story writer and Versus XIII which hasn't even come out yet)? You guys really don't know what your talking about.

Like I've said many times before FF has lost it's way after being bought off by Sony all them eyars ago Square have not produced a stunner since FF, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean on the Snes

the game was crap and if i could take the sale they got from me back i would.

It deserves to have crap sales. It is Embarrising to gaming that a game such as this can sell as well as it has.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
g-value said:
A203D said:
g-value said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
hikaruchan said:

I am tired of all these stupid FANBOY threads hating on FFXIII. EVERY FF Game is DIFFERENT from the last that is the point of FF. to say that FF Game is a bad FF Game is an Oxymoron because like all other FF Games FFXIII should be judged as an individual game in its own right. IF you do not wont your Favorite Game series to CHANGE with every new Game then DO NOT PLAY FF GO PLAY DQ instead.       

What fanboy thread? Um. I know every FF is supposed to be different. Sakaguchi planned it that way. Nomura is just holding onto the pieces he left behind. Every other game he creates today has his FF mark on it because of his signature style and direction, no matter which story is created. The new vision of FF is quite linear left alone to Nomura. Normura was merely an artist and writer taking direction from Sakaguchi and now he directs the show in his place. Nomura is a great artist, but not a great producer.

And what FF games has Nomura directed/produced again other then Final Fantasy Versus XIII which hasn't even came out yet?

Nomura has done a great job with Kingdom Hearts, and i think he had a lot of input in FF7 which is why he has such a strong position in Square, despite the fact hes an artist. generally he has a very good reputation, however he also directed Advent Children, and while that was an excellent action fest. i felt the script, and characters were far from their humble beginnings on the PS1. and imo it wasnt a good film.

The problem is, hirukuchan, Final Fantasy 13 is not Final Fantasy. its not an RPG as we know it; from Kitase and Toriyama themselves. as far as i'm concerned, Final Fantasy is Sakaguchi's series, he would have never allowed FF13 to be produced that way if he was still with Square, and FF13 is not a true Final Fantasy. and let me remind fans, FF13 was never designed for you, you were all going to buy it anyway. and Sakaguchi would not have done this to the series we love.

Nomura directed Advent Children (meaning he was responsible for the excellent action fest you saw on the film). Kazushige Nojima was the one who wrote it. So yeah, what are you talking about? Why is everyone getting on a man who has done nothing more then draw the characters in the FF series (except for FFVII in which he was the original story writer and Versus XIII which hasn't even come out yet)? You guys really don't know what your talking about.

You think someone who directs a film or game has no input in the script writing process. you think he didnt input anything at all into the scipt, like the direction he wanted Nojima to take the story. its irrelevant anyway, if you watch the developer interviews on the Advent Children DVD, Nomura talks about his input in depth. Nojima also talks about how he and Nomura began with a short story to evolve into a feature lenght picture. 

do you seriously think when people work together on projects they dont communicate they're ideas and work out the script together. the directors role in such a project is fundamental to the final product. either way, i'm simply stating he and Nojima are both responsible for the story, as the director shapes that vision on screen. if you need more proof just watch the bonus features on the Advent Children DVD. that is how a man who began as an artist provides a foundational role in the FF series at the moment.

Wow, some people take the Final Fantasy hate a little too far...Final Fantasy 13 was a great game, we all have our own opinions, but, geez some of these comments are a bit too hateful towards the series. -_-

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

MrT-Tar said:
perpride said:

blah blah blah. yet another thread complaining about FFXIII.

so fucking happy it's the best selling JRPG on both consoles and of the generation.

Have you never heard of a little game called Pokemon Diamond/Pearl?

PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Pokémon Diamond / Pearl Version (DS)
Nintendo
6.68 6.02 4.99 17.69

On topic: FF has been going downhill since the 16bit days IMO, though the games remained among the best around until X.  Yes, I believe XIII gets a hard time and it is by no means a bad game, but it suffers from what I call 'Super Mario Sunshine syndrome'.  Meaning it is a good game in its own right, but is significantly worse when compared to some of it's predecessors; in FFXIII's case the likes of IV,VI and IX.  This generation as with last, Dragon Quest has IMO because S-E's best 'mega franchise'.

lets pretend like we don't know I'm talking about the home consoles.

I'm going have to agree with this. Final Fantasy XIII was not worth the fuss. On its own it's a good game (to some fans). But compared to previous games, it was not what it was expected. 

Tayne said:
Naum said:

Seriously some of you think FFXIII was better then LO??... what a sad day for RPG fan

I concur.

Aye. Thrice.

I only WISH LO had been named FF13... then it would have sold like crack cocaine.

I was so utterly crushed at how crap FF13 was. Story, combat, plot, characters aside from Lightning... /vomit