_>This is an interesting..." /> _>This is an interesting..." /> _>This is an interesting..." /> _>This is an interesting..." />
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii reach 100 million by 2011?

RolStoppable said:
phenom08 said:
RolStoppable said:

No games, no sales.

Sorry rol its kinda hard to you serious sometimes because i don't know if your being sarcastic or serious, i highly doubt your being serious, because honestly this people are clearly blind. 20 million is looking quite likely for the year now, 3 weeks left and last year it did another 4.6 million before the end the wii's at 15.9 million now 85 million sell through is looking likely too. So all this 82 -83 million talk proves they haven't looked and what exaxtly did the wii have early next that it doesn't early next year.

Last year the Wii set an all time record for December sales of a home console, it's not going to match that this year, much less eclipse it. So 84m it's going to be at the end of this year.

What the Wii had at the beginning of 2010 that it won't have in 2011:

In EMEAA Just Dance had an effect on hardware sales after having a slow start in 2009. The game didn't become big until early 2010. In Japan NSMB Wii's legs helped the Wii a lot. For that reason we will see a major year over year drop in Japan. In America NSMB Wii's legs helped as well, but the Wii was still down from 2009.

Overall, the Wii has some tough times ahead of it in all markets. Selling 16m in 2011 will be hard, but not impossible. It largely depends on when Nintendo launches which games and whether or not they cut the price in late summer/early fall. With the third party support the Wii gets, it's pretty much impossible to sustain the sales of 2010 in 2011.

Well which weeks in dec. is the wii going to be down then, I expect the wii to once again be up or atleast tie that week which would be around 1.7 million and then theres christmas week the wii did nearly 2 million, i guess 1.9 for that week and the week after that 850,000 i guess. It's going to be pretty close.

My point is you guys have no clue about next year at all, nintendo could very well release a redesigned wii and pull a microsoft except on a massive scale and completely dominate July through December. Zelda could very well appear around April, Wii relax could come in May with a price cut, DQX could come around July, pikmen in august or sept. and the holidays could just plain rely on whatever nintendo shows at e3 like they do every year. How often do we know what nintendo has for the holiday season before e3 of the very same year, Miyamoto mentioned a new character or ip which could come around november.

Around the Network

82-83m? Surely, you're joking. Wii is up YOY for this week and has deals far better than last year for the next two weeks. If our numbers for the past few weeks are correct, I'd be willing to bet that it'll undoubtedly hit 84.5m, with 86m as an outside possibility if it's undertracked and about 85-85.5m otherwise.

With about 19.5m for the year, the Wii will have declined about ~2m YOY, which, interestingly, is a lower drop than the year before, without a price cut. Whilst it would be ridiculous to expect the Wii, a console going into its fifth year with 85m households saturated already and very little chance of repurchase, to continue to reduce its declines forever, with a price cut to $150 and some decent software, keeping its declines steady is not at all out of the question. That would put Wii at about 102-103m by the end of the year.

In short, yes, I believe it will. I'd be rather disappointed if it didn't.

Also, if the Vitality Sensor or a console redesign of some sort drops and does well, add approximately 7-8m to my prediction, :P.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Pricedrop plus Dragon Quest plus Zelda may end up being enough to push them over.

Immortal said:

82-83m? Surely, you're joking. Wii is up YOY for this week and has deals far better than last year for the next two weeks. If our numbers for the past few weeks are correct, I'd be willing to bet that it'll undoubtedly hit 84.5m, with 86m as an outside possibility if it's undertracked and about 85-85.5m otherwise.

With about 19.5m for the year, the Wii will have declined about ~2m YOY, which, interestingly, is a lower drop than the year before, without a price cut. Whilst it would be ridiculous to expect the Wii, a console going into its fifth year with 85m households saturated already and very little chance of repurchase, to continue to reduce its declines forever, with a price cut to $150 and some decent software, keeping its declines steady is not at all out of the question. That would put Wii at about 102-103m by the end of the year.

Also, if the Vitality Sensor or a console redesign of some sort drops and does well, add approximately 7-8m to my prediction, :P.

thank you, thats exactly my point, the wii only dropped around 2 million units this calendar year, and the wii has even better deals than ever which could very well keep the wii up this for the rest of this year, like last week

RolStoppable said:

Btw, what would a redesigned Wii be like? It's unlikely to be smaller and slimmer, so perhaps Nintendo is going to introduce a bigger and fatter version and advertises bulkiness as selling point?

It could actually get smaller (or at least slimmer) if they dropped the GCN ports.  Drop GC compatibility, throw in some more flash, maybe DVD plackback (which WAS promised in a Wii redesign, lol), make a ton shell colors, Wiimote Plus and viola!  You've got a Wii Plus SKU ready for the pimpin'.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
phenom08 said:

Well which weeks in dec. is the wii going to be down then, I expect the wii to once again be up or atleast tie that week which would be around 1.7 million and then theres christmas week the wii did nearly 2 million, i guess 1.9 for that week and the week after that 850,000 i guess. It's going to be pretty close.

My point is you guys have no clue about next year at all, nintendo could very well release a redesigned wii and pull a microsoft except on a massive scale and completely dominate July through December. Zelda could very well appear around April, Wii relax could come in May with a price cut, DQX could come around July, pikmen in august or sept. and the holidays could just plain rely on whatever nintendo shows at e3 like they do every year. How often do we know what nintendo has for the holiday season before e3 of the very same year, Miyamoto mentioned a new character or ip which could come around november.

Yeah, Nintendo could do all that, but it's better to discuss the more probable scenarios instead of assuming a best case scenario is going to happen.

Btw, what would a redesigned Wii be like? It's unlikely to be smaller and slimmer, so perhaps Nintendo is going to introduce a bigger and fatter version and advertises bulkiness as selling point?

Sorry rol that had to be the stupidest thing i ever heard, unlikely to be smaller and why is that lol, are you telling me the wii can't get even smaller, yea it definitely can, and what exactly did the ps3 and 360 slim add, not much at all, the wii's redesign could add anything nintendo wants, i don't work for them and neither do you, all they added to the dsi was a camera and sells still exploded, and i understand what your saying but i try to be as accurate as possible i highly doubt nintendo will let it drop as much as it did from 2008 to 2009

gekkokamen said:

if Nintendo cuts the price to $150 next year Wii could have a shot at 15 million, if not, then nope.

A shot? How much do you rhink it'll sell next year?  12 millions? It jsut won't fall that much from 19 millions.

And let me ask you're also one of those who thinks the Xbox 360 or PS3 will sell more than 15 millions next year?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Wii will drop, but it'll still be the best selling home console next year.  Hell, depending on the DS drop, Wii might end up being the best selling console overall for 2011.

phenom08 said:
Immortal said:

thank you, thats exactly my point, the wii only dropped around 2 million units this calendar year, and the wii has even better deals than ever which could very well keep the wii up this for the rest of this year, like last week

Yeah, I dunno why people think it's gonna be significantly below.

For your other argument though, I have to agree with RolStoppable. Looking back so far, Nintendo has done next to nothing to boost the Wii. My guess is, they're either saving costs or are saving moves for post-Bii launch. I seriously doubt that they'll be working too hard to boost the Wii next year. Not that they'll need to though, :P.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

jarrod said:
RolStoppable said:

It could actually get smaller (or at least slimmer) if they dropped the GCN ports.  Drop GC compatibility, throw in some more flash, maybe DVD plackback (which WAS promised in a Wii redesign, lol), make a ton shell colors, Wiimote Plus and viola!  You've got a Wii Plus SKU ready for the pimpin'.

Which would be more of an upgrade than both ps3 slim and 360 slim, i love how everyone assumes the wii can't pull off a slim, i thought ps3 and 360 owners said it because they feared it honestly what exactly would they counter with? another slim lol.

But for the hell of it, hears my wii slim

DVD playback

slicker design

hd upscaler for dvds ( i don't know anything about technology lol)

conventional heating system( i heard squilliam mention it, he said something about lower cost and removing fan)

ethernet ports