By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - And Destructoid's game of the year is... (SUSPENSE AND SURPRISE!)

Smeags said:

What, Sonic Colors didn't win?

Anyways, congrats to Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the award. It's definitely my Game of the Year, and my favorite 3D Platformer of all time. Amazing game for sure. ^_^

I know! It's rigged I tell ya

However, Galaxy 2 is a rightful winner (as pretty much everyone here is saying!) but I think it has "bioshock" syndrome- the shock of doing it the first time was so awe-inspiring and amazing that, even a technically better sequel isn't as good in many peoples eyes. I expect the same thing to happen to Portal 2 and Little Big Planet 2, sadly, hence why SMG2 isn't winning as many awards as it should (in other words, ALL OF THEM (well, actually, MHTri should win them))

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:

i'm more glad that people starting to like monster hunter, its a good game.

Good game? Leave this place, it's a GREAT GAME, and AWESOME GAME!

Seriously I can't reccomend it enough...

recommend ? xD , poor you i own all monster hunter games and been a fan since the very first.

PullusPardus said:
Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:

recommend ? xD , poor you i own all monster hunter games and been a fan since the very first.

I have the Wii and PSP iterations, but prefer the Wii version simply due to online play being easy, which makes it far more socialable (even if it lacks content)

Yes, recommend. I can't force people to buy it (already tried that xD )

Not deserved IMO. It was a great game, but it wasn't anything special. It was exactly SMG 1, the only big difference being Yoshi. SMG 1 felt innovative, this...not.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:
Conegamer said:
PullusPardus said:

I have the Wii and PSP iterations, but prefer the Wii version simply due to online play being easy, which makes it far more socialable (even if it lacks content)

Yes, recommend. I can't force people to buy it (already tried that xD )

i'm talking about the first PS2 game.

it had a great intro as well, btw i don't know why i'm telling you this, i'm a show off.

Around the Network

I have never played it so I can't necessarily agree with it winning.

Silver-Tiger said:

Not deserved IMO. It was a great game, but it wasn't anything special. It was exactly SMG 1, the only big difference being Yoshi. SMG 1 felt innovative, this...not.

Exactly my issue with it, it was technically better, but many thought it worse. I explained this above as part of the "bioshock" effect

Conegamer said:
Silver-Tiger said:

Exactly my issue with it, it was technically better, but many thought it worse. I explained this above as part of the "bioshock" effect

Yeah man, completely correct. Don't get me wrong, though, I loved it and got all 202 Stars.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

*facepalm*

Conegamer said:

While Bioshock 2 was a great game (my favorite FPS of the year), I felt that the pacing and atmosphere was somewhat lacking compared to the 1st game (not to mention the lack of freshness that you mentioned). For many areas it went like this: Kill bad guys, kill Big Daddies, find Little Sisters, Kill Big Sister, leave area... rinse and repeat. I never thought there was as much diversity in the second game compared to the first.

SMG2 however, even though it lacks the freshness that the first game provides, not only improves upon the first game technically, but expands on it as well. There's so many new gameplay elements that are just so much fun. Many people (and reviewers) were expecting SMG 1.5, but instead we got the awesome Super Mario Galaxy 2. Like Destructoid said, the game is a perfect example of a video game.