By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN article shows Nintendo is the king of re-releases!

I have 2 copies of Super Mario Bros Duck Hunt for no reason. But it was $2 so I wanted 2.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

Around the Network
Fab_GS said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Acevil said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"Yeah, I missed Dragon Quest--so chalk that up with Final Fantasy and the couple times Chrono Trigger has been released.  That's still way less than Super Mario Bros appearing on no fewer than four Nintendo systems."

Wrong. Final Fantasy I appeared on the NES, PS1, GBA, Wonderswan Color, PSP, and Wii VC at the very least. So that one game is greater than SMB1. So don't tell me that all of S-E's re-releases are less than just SMB1.

Mobile as well. I can buy it on the blackberry. 

So S-E games and the releases I can confirm:

FF1: NES, MSX2, PS1, Wonderswan Color, GBA, PSP, Wii VC, Mobile, iPhone

FF2: NES, PS1, Wonderswan Color, GBA, PSP, Wii VC, Mobile, iPhone

FF3: NES, DS, Wii VC

FF4: SNES, PS1, Wonderswan Color, FOMA, GBA, DS, Wii VC, PSP

FF5: SNES, PS1, GBA

FF6: SNES, PS1, GBA

FF7: PS1, PC, PSN

FF8: PS1, PC, PSN

FF9: PS1, PSN

FF11: PC, PS2, 360

FF13: PS3, 360

DQ1: NES, MSX, NEC PC-9801, Sharp X68000, Super Famicom, GBC, Mobile

DQ2: NES, MSX, SFC, Super Famicom, GBC, Mobile

DQ3: NES, SNES, GBC, Mobile

DQ4: NES, PS1, DS

DQ5: Super Famicom, PS2, DS

DQ6: Super Famicom, DS

Secret of Mana: SNES, FOMA, Wii VC, iPhone

Chrono Trigger: SNES, PS1, DS

FF Tactics: PS1, PSN

Those are just off the top of my head, and can be adjusted.

Added more

Now do one of Nintendo franchises.  Don't forget, the Virtual Console counts. I'm tempted, but I really should start my homework...

Resident_Hazard said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"Yeah, I missed Dragon Quest--so chalk that up with Final Fantasy and the couple times Chrono Trigger has been released.  That's still way less than Super Mario Bros appearing on no fewer than four Nintendo systems."

Wrong. Final Fantasy I appeared on the NES, PS1, GBA, Wonderswan Color, PSP, and Wii VC at the very least. So that one game is greater than SMB1. So don't tell me that all of S-E's re-releases are less than just SMB1.

Wow, you're totally right.  Showing that Final Fantasy 1 has been whored out more than SMB1 totally usurps my entire post.  Golly gee whiz, how did you get to be ever so smart?

Nintendo still whores out their wares far more than Squeenix does.  They do it with more franchises and with more games.  And you still buy every one of 'em, dontcha?

For reference (I used Wikipedia, MobyGames, and Google in general), I found the original Super Mario Bros has been released on the following systems, in the following ways (at least)--

NES-alone
NES-with Duck Hunt
NES-with Duck Hunt and Track Meet
NES-with Tetris and Nintendo World Cup (may have been a demo cartridge for store displays)
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Famicom Disk System (note, not the Japanese NES, but the disk add-on)
Super NES - Mario All-Stars
Wii - Virtual Console
Wii - 25th Anniversary Mario All-Stars

Okay, one of those may not technically count (the one that's likely a demo), but that still makes nineOh, and I don't know why, but you made an assumption that I was stating that all of Squeenix's remakes adds up to less than just SMB1.  Why would you make such an ridiculous assumption?  The GBA and DS rereleases of the first six FF games makes roughly 8 with that franchise alone.  1-6 on GBA, 3 & 4 remade for DS.  I probably should've used the word "many" instead of "all."  Still, wouldn't assuming a grammatical error make more sense than simply assuming a truly moronic statement?  The fact that I mentioned more than one Chrono Trigger rerelease indicates I'm fully aware of the ports Square dropped onto the Playstation.

The Wonderswan is a nice, obscure reference.  I always forget about that thing.

That's where I got that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

KungKras said:

Disney is awesome :D

Ugh no. Disney is horrendous. Their movies stink. Even pirates of the caribean and tron were decent at best. Pixar and Marvel are the only redeeming qualities of Disney, and even then, didn't they just buy them out?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

I personally like re-releases, especially when in downloadable emulation (such as the Virtual Console).  It has allowed me to play games that were not release in Europe and/or would have been prohibitive expensive otherwise.  Examples include SMRPG and Ogre Battle 64 on the Virtual Console and remakes/ports of Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest V.

I am currently doing the alternative with many Playstation games that weren't released in Europe.  So far, I've imported Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Tales of Destiny, Dragon Quest/Warrior VII, Tales of Eternia/Destiny II, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Mana and a couple more.  I won't go into detail, but it's fucking expensive, I estimate about £400 ($624).

Just for comparison, Ogre Battle 64 on the VC costs 1200 points which is £8.40 ($13.33).  Understandably I far prefer that price to the £45 ($70.31) plus it goes for on Ebay, and that doesn't even take into account the costs of me getting an NTSC N64 and the fact that the VC version might have brought physical games prices slightly down.

Even physical ports save me lots of money, take Chrono Trigger DS.  I bought it on release for £28 ($43.76), to import the SNES version costs about £100 ($156.77) - no joke.  The PSX version didn't reach Europe either, but I couldn't find an english copy on Ebay UK. 

Is it any wonder given the choice I buy re-releases?

Around the Network

Square Enix and Nintendo are both companies who I want to keep re-releasing stuff..... They're like classic movies to me, I want to be able to play them forever.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

homer said:
KungKras said:

Ugh no. Disney is horrendous. Their movies stink. Even pirates of the caribean and tron were decent at best. Pixar and Marvel are the only redeeming qualities of Disney, and even then, didn't they just buy them out?

You're speaking as if they never gave us The Lion King, or any other of their timeless classics that never age.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Resident_Hazard said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Resident_Hazard said:
Acevil said:

I think Square Enix is much better re-release company. 

Squeenix only rereleases Final Fantasy games, and Chrono Trigger.

Have you not heard of Dragon Quest?

Plus numbe of franchises does NOT equate to number of rereleases.

What's a Dragon Quest?  Oh right, that franchise I started playing way back on the NES when it was called Dragon Warrior in the Us.

Nintendo's more numerous franchises mean more fodder for remaking, rereleasing, revamping.  And Nintendo does it all in spades. 

Yeah, I missed Dragon Quest--so chalk that up with Final Fantasy and the couple times Chrono Trigger has been released.  That's still way less than Super Mario Bros appearing on no fewer than four Nintendo systems.  The NES and SNES Kirby games being remade and released a couple times each. 

Link to the Past, Link's Awakening--Hell, every pre-GameCube Zelda game has appeared on three or four consoles.  The 3DS marks the fourth time in three generations that Ocarina of Time will be released.  Or is it the fifth?  Let's see here:  N64, N64-DD (Japan), GameCube (OoT set), GameCube again (Zelda Collection), Wii, 3DS.  Fuck, sixth.  How many Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games have been released six fucking times?  And if they have, they certainly haven't been released that much in the span of three generations!  Nintendo is averaging 2 Ocarina of Time releases per generation these days!  Seriously, who the fuck hasn't played that game to death by now??

Zelda 1:  NES, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Wii.

And come now, Nintendo just released an SNES game for the Wii--and it's a retail package!  You'd think for Mario's 25th Anniversary they'd do a little more than just port an SNES game like it's a new title.  They could've, at the very least, put the SNES and N64 Mario games in there.  Maybe the first two Mario Land titles.  But to simply port Super Mario All-Stars?  That's pretty lame. 

The Game Boy Advance and DS were both used as platforms to simply port generation-old titles for full price--mostly to people who already had the damn things.

You're probably saying that becasue you played the games when they were new and can't put yourself in someone who hasn't shoes.

You forget that there are many people who never played those games but enjoyed newer games in the series, and might want to play the originals.

I grew up with Super Mario Land and Super Mario 64, and I'm grateful for relreleases of games I never got to play. I'm sure those rereleases are for people like me.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
homer said:
KungKras said:

You're speaking as if they never gave us The Lion King, or any other of their timeless classics that never age.

I disliked the lion king, jungle book, bambi, everything with mickey mouse, anastasia, etc. Goofy and donald duck were amazing though.Also their tv channel  is absolutely horrendous.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
KungKras said:
homer said:
KungKras said:

I disliked the lion king, jungle book, bambi, everything with mickey mouse, anastasia, etc. Goofy and donald duck were amazing though.Also their tv channel  is absolutely horrendous.

I don't.....I don't understand....is "disliked" some sort of slang that you kids came up to say you like something?  Kinda like when I was young and we called things "bad" when we meant they were really cool?