By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did FM3 score higher than GT5?

Darth Tigris said:

So what is the difference between a driving game and a racing game?  I thought both games were car racing simulators.  A driving game makes it sound like the racing isn't the main feature or something.

On GT5's cover, and every other GT I think, it says "The Real Driving Simulator."  It really is a game made for people who just really love cars, above just racing.  It's cornered the market forever, and now with Forza it seems it is focused more on the "game" part rather than the sim/racing/physics/realism part of it.  I think that makes sense given the biggest complaints with GT5 are often things like menus and online infrastructure, and one of the biggest graphics complaints, amazingly, is the trees. lol 

For instance, even the reviews that "bash" the game openly admit that it is the best car simulation in existence, at least for consoles.  The driving itself is spectacular, no one denies that.  I think the hype did most of the damage to be honest.  It had enough hype and expectation just by being a GT game, then Sony kept saying it would be perfection on a disc.  It clearly isn't without fault, but it seems like at least a few reviewers judged on hype somewhat.  Forza escapes this because not much has been expected in the past.  It used to be "Microsoft's attempt at copying all of Sony's games", a la Lips and such.  Now it's seen as more of a contender, so that might be mitigated from here on out.

Also, I don't see Forza 4 outselling GT6 based on this "failure" of a GT.  GT5 basically outsold Forza 3 in two weeks, and that is with excessive Forza bundling. 

As long as the gamers out there are satisfied (which contrary to some on the internetz, I'm sure most are), that's all that matters.

Around the Network
jesus kung fu magic said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

Reading through reviews, much more like a racing game, than a racing sim. GT5 was judged like an arcade racer by some of the reviews, or any other racing game, and many acknowledge that (even rival reviewers say it). I didn't say ALL, I said some. Most reviews were fair in GT5's case, some were not. Simple.

That answers what GT was judged as(iyo) but what about FM3.....

Actually, the answer is in the post:

"Much more like a racing game than a racing sim". In other words, it didn't have the same expectations of a racing sim placed upon it. It's somewhat evident in a good of portion of GT5's reviews too, as many consider it the better racing sim of the two, just not the better game.

Is that a really "unfair" judgement to make? I mean GTR games (anything simbim really)on the pc are the best racing simulators on the market(which is why you only see claims that GT games are the best sims on consoles) yet the meta ranges from 83-90.If thats the way it is then why isnt it fair to judge a game past its sim's merits? If the best sim gets judged this way...so should FM3 and GT5.

I've explained it the best that I can, which judging responses to my words within the thread, it has gotten across for the most part. In your case, I'm not sure what else needs explaining.

So glad to see this site hasnt changed.....

Can't the same be said of you?

"Performance wise, there are claims............."

You havent even played FM3 yet you believe that GT5 should be rated equally? Im not saying either or but seriously......

Word of advice: Drop the topic now.....a shitstorm is coming

I have played Forza 3... What makes you think I haven't? And about dropping the topic, it's really sad if you believe comparing two games in the same genre is a taboo.

Oh well, at least you don't speak about yourself in third person anymore...

@ everyone who claims the score's lower because of expectations: are you telling me the reviewers don't have an absolute scale? How about Halo 3? That game was hyped to death, yet it still received a 94. If what you say is true, then this system is redundant. The whole point of scores is to give a person a quick idea on how a certain game stacks up against a different game.

It's because Polyphony Digital focused more on Racing and Cars in there Racing game than menus, trees and how many parts fly off your car when you scrape past a Mini.

Around the Network

Because it's better, as it should be.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

People expected way to much out of it.

Over the years the hype has gotten to the point that people were saying it's basically a PS4 game or it's exactly like real life, to much hype and expectations made for a lot of disappointed people.

That and I think a lot of the reviews were rushed, and oddly enough a lot of the review scores didn't make sense? Some reviews would be talking about how excellent the game is in whatever category and then all of sudden they give it a low rating?

Like I think it was what IGN said, GT5 is a 10/10 racer in a 5/10 game? huh?

LivingMetal said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

Reading through reviews, much more like a racing game, than a racing sim. GT5 was judged like an arcade racer by some of the reviews, or any other racing game, and many acknowledge that (even rival reviewers say it). I didn't say ALL, I said some. Most reviews were fair in GT5's case, some were not. Simple.

That answers what GT was judged as(iyo) but what about FM3.....

Actually, the answer is in the post:

"Much more like a racing game than a racing sim". In other words, it didn't have the same expectations of a racing sim placed upon it. It's somewhat evident in a good of portion of GT5's reviews too, as many consider it the better racing sim of the two, just not the better game.

Is that a really "unfair" judgement to make? I mean GTR games (anything simbim really)on the pc are the best racing simulators on the market(which is why you only see claims that GT games are the best sims on consoles) yet the meta ranges from 83-90.If thats the way it is then why isnt it fair to judge a game past its sim's merits? If the best sim gets judged this way...so should FM3 and GT5.

I've explained it the best that I can, which judging responses to my words within the thread, it has gotten across for the most part. In your case, I'm not sure what else needs explaining.

So glad to see this site hasnt changed.....

Can't the same be said of you?

Its flattering someone I have no idea is is keeping tabs on me.....definite ego booster there

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

ultima said:

"Performance wise, there are claims............."

You havent even played FM3 yet you believe that GT5 should be rated equally? Im not saying either or but seriously......

Word of advice: Drop the topic now.....a shitstorm is coming

I have played Forza 3... What makes you think I haven't? And about dropping the topic, it's really sad if you believe comparing two games in the same genre is a taboo.

Oh well, at least you don't speak about yourself in third person anymore...

Your wording in your op leads people to believe either you havent played FM3 at all.....or havent played it enough to even be writing the op.

The dropping the topic part wasnt because you were comparing the 2 said games......but because you havent played both games enough (or at all in FM3's case) to even be making a comparison.

And third person talk is coming soon......

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

CGI-Quality said:
ultima said:

@ everyone who claims the score's lower because of expectations: are you telling me the reviewers don't have an absolute scale? How about Halo 3? That game was hyped to death, yet it still received a 94. If what you say is true, then this system is redundant. The whole point of scores is to give a person a quick idea on how a certain game stacks up against a different game.

Halo 3 didn't have the hype nor expectations of GT5 though, at least not in regard to cosmetics. "Better than reality" is just one of several slogans of the pre-release GT5 era. Halo 3 had nothing of the sort, but did have MUCH hype.

So you're telling me reviewers thought it was a minus that the game wasn't photo-realistic?

Where I think things were unfair, Halo 3 was considered average visually, but accomplished what it set out to do - be a definitive shooter for the Xbox brand while brandishing an unrivaled multiplayer experience. In that regard, it wasn't marked down.

But all of the promotional CGIs for Halo 3 looked amazing and had little to no resemblance to the in-game graphics. So, unless you're telling me graphics were supposed to be the main selling points of GT5, I still see a problem.

GT5 set out to be the top sim on consoles. According to reviews, it not only achieved that, but looks better than other games in the genre (albeit, not without some inconsistencies). So why would GT5 be marked down so significantly? Simple, the hype exceeded what the final product delivered to some.

But I was let down in many aspects by the game (mainly damage and graphics), but I am still able to see that the game deserves higher than 84 if you compare it to Forza 3.

In this day and age, hype and expectation DO play a role in many reviews. GT5's hype is unprecedented however, and because of such, it was expected to be a perfect delivery, not to mention, it's a different market than when Halo 3 launched.

And that, in my opinion is a huge problem. How am I supposed to know which is more worthy of my money if the comparison of the aggregate review score is not consistent with the comparison in the quality of each game. I really think (or maybe hope?) this is not the case.