By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did FM3 score higher than GT5?

jesus kung fu magic said:
ultima said:

"Performance wise, there are claims............."

You havent even played FM3 yet you believe that GT5 should be rated equally? Im not saying either or but seriously......

Word of advice: Drop the topic now.....a shitstorm is coming

I have played Forza 3... What makes you think I haven't? And about dropping the topic, it's really sad if you believe comparing two games in the same genre is a taboo.

Oh well, at least you don't speak about yourself in third person anymore...

Your wording in your op leads people to believe either you havent played FM3 at all.....or havent played it enough to even be writing the op.

The dropping the topic part wasnt because you were comparing the 2 said games......but because you havent played both games enough (or at all in FM3's case) to even be making a comparison.

And third person talk is coming soon......

Point me to the parts of the OP that suggest I haven't played the game (besides the point about the career mode, I admit I haven't played that). I've played enough races to see the differences in the gameplay and mechanics of the two games.

Around the Network

I think Sony is the main culprit here. They hyped this game so much, that even being a great game, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Some things as the very low resolution alpha textures (water sparkles when raining) hinder greatly the general perception of the game, and people are much less forgiving with this problems due to Sony promises.

And when people bitch about inconsistencies, get real. Reviews are opinions by the reviewer, they are always subjective and prone to inconsistencies.

CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

I've explained it the best that I can, which judging responses to my words within the thread, it has gotten across for the most part. In your case, I'm not sure what else needs explaining.

So glad to see this site hasnt changed.....

I think I've been pretty reasonable and thorough. I don't know what else there is to elaborate on, you asked me a question, I answered. The end result obviously has us at a disagreement, which isn't a big deal. If there's some part of the convo not tapped into, share it. I'm always down for good conversation.

Ohh..miscommunication....I thought you were trying to bail out or something...

Anyways.. my only issue is the notion that you believe that GT5 was rated "unfairly" . All I really ask is for you to prove that notion in my previous post

It's not a prove wrong/right scenario, it's just my take. Having spent extensive time with the game, and then re-reading some of the reviews, it seems that much of what the game had to offer wasn't discussed in some of them, such as gift sending. In just about every review, it's compared with Forza 3, which is reasonable and expected, but what isn't reasonable is when the review seems to lack a complete analysis of the end product.

Another problem I had was the basis of judging the game on hype, and again, not strictly on the sum of it's parts. I'm not saying that there weren't any letdowns within the game (I was letdown by some of the visual inconsistencies and loading screens for example), but when I look at the entire package, the scores don't bother me as much as some of the words chosen.

I can now see your point.....but we differ on what we define as unfair.

My point on all this is that you flip the release dates you flip the metas although not to the same value.....GT hype hurt in its meta(which I can also see as unfair, unnecessary nitpicking etc.) but it didnt hurt its meta nearly to the degree that FM3 did by raising the bar first.

Im really just using this as a means to procrastinate from studying for my engineering exam ....glad this didnt end up as what usually happens when we have a discussion

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

ultima said:
ultima said:

You havent even played FM3 yet you believe that GT5 should be rated equally? Im not saying either or but seriously......

I have played Forza 3... What makes you think I haven't? And about dropping the topic, it's really sad if you believe comparing two games in the same genre is a taboo.

Your wording in your op leads people to believe either you havent played FM3 at all.....or havent played it enough to even be writing the op.

The dropping the topic part wasnt because you were comparing the 2 said games......but because you havent played both games enough (or at all in FM3's case) to even be making a comparison.

Point me to the parts of the OP that suggest I haven't played the game (besides the point about the career mode, I admit I haven't played that). I've played enough races to see the differences in the gameplay and mechanics of the two games.

Actually my biggest one is right there in the first post of this wall of text........you should have judged the performance on your own merit not on "claims".That one sentence makes it seem like all you have done is played exhibition mode and online mode somewhat........but it does show that you havent played FM3 enough

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

psrock said:

Because it's better, as it should be.

I'm surprised Carl hasn't sued you yet.

OT:  The timing of the launch could affect, due to many games coming out and that may skew the score lower, just pointing out that little variable.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

people waited for a LONG time for GT5 and didnt get everything they wanted. BOOM

Poor Kevin Butler. "When they asked for 500 cars, he gave them a thousand" and they're STILL not satisfied!

ahahaa

to be honest i got GT5 first day and have only played it twice, i didnt like it...

RUNS AWAY FAST

CGI-Quality said:
ultima said:
CGI-Quality said:
ultima said:

@ everyone who claims the score's lower because of expectations: are you telling me the reviewers don't have an absolute scale? How about Halo 3? That game was hyped to death, yet it still received a 94. If what you say is true, then this system is redundant. The whole point of scores is to give a person a quick idea on how a certain game stacks up against a different game.

So you're telling me reviewers thought it was a minus that the game wasn't photo-realistic?

But all of the promotional CGIs for Halo 3 looked amazing and had little to no resemblance to the in-game graphics. So, unless you're telling me graphics were supposed to be the main selling points of GT5, I still see a problem.

wn in many aspects by the game (mainly damage and graphics), but I am still able to see that the game deserves higher than 84 if you compare it to Forza 3.

And that, in my opinion is a huge problem. How am I supposed to know which is more worthy of my money if the comparison of the aggregate review score is not consistent with the comparison in the quality of each game. I really think (or maybe hope?) this is not the case.

Point A: Yes. They felt the graphics undelivered relative to hype, versus what was on the screen.

Point B: Again, yes. Graphics WAS one of GT5's selling points (which is pretty obvious since most of the hype boiled down to trailers and screenshots).

Point C: Completely your opinion. The 84 meta isn't what bothers most, but the words spoken amongst a review, which the final number, seemingly, fails to reflect.

Last point: You're right, the reviews are inconsistent, but not for the reasons you've stated. Halo 3 was judged based on the final product and not much else. GT5 was based partially on the final product and partially on hype, which is why people have cried foul. I don't agree with the inconsistencies either, but I also realize that GT5 launched in a new day.

Next time, the hype from Sony should be cornered a bit, but reviewers also need to review what's in front of them (especially if it's considered the best of it's genre) and not what was promised.

Point A: I can't blame them for being disappointed with the graphics; so was I. However, that shouldn't be held against the game. Measuring stick should be other games currently in the market, not what the game promised. By this line of thinking what would justify a perfect score in the graphics category? If meeting what was promised is all it takes then every game could have "perfect" graphics by not promising much.

Point B: I don't quite understand what you mean here by "most of hype boiled down to trailers and screenshots." Aren't those things all one has before a game actually is released? And from the screenshots I've seen (don't remember any trailers besides E3 gameplay) the game did deliver, as the graphics in photo mode are just as good as that.

Point C: I think this is a little more than an opinion. What is the entire purpose of the score system? Isn't it to give a rough idea on how games compare to each other? So if FM3 and GT5 are both racing sims, a higher score for FM3 should, ideally, mean that FM3 is the better racing sim, which I believe is not true.

Last point: so why didn't hype play a role in the rating process of Halo 3, while it did for GT5?

ultima said:
ultima said:

Actually my biggest one is right there in the first post of this wall of text........you should have judged the performance on your own merit not on "claims".That one sentence makes it seem like all you have done is played exhibition mode and online mode somewhat........but it does show that you havent played FM3 enough

I did judge the performance on my own merit; my conclusion was that both games run sufficiently smoothly. The "claim" was there just to show the reader that some people believe that GT5 does not run as smoothly as Forza.

And you keep coming back to this, what would you consider enough playtime? I haven't played career, where the bulk of the offline gameplay lies, and I never judged the game for that. I have raced in the game quite a bit, so I believe I have sufficient experience with the game to make a comparison about the gameplay, which is what I did.

snakenobi said:

expectations

Pretty much this, which shouldn't be a part of a reviewer's mindset....but pretty much this.

SuperAdrianK said:
psrock said:

Because it's better, as it should be.

I'm surprised Carl hasn't sued you yet.

I was just waiting for him to be banned for being an evil troll of Sony.