By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did FM3 score higher than GT5?

CGI-Quality said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
CGI-Quality said:

Different standars to each game. Forza has far less expectation placed on it (not to mention GT5 wasn't judged fairly by some reviewers). I think Forza 3 just had an overall extra layer of polish that GT5 may have lacked, but considering how much more GT5 was doing, and how much more expecation is placed upon the franchise in general, the end results aren't too surprising.

I say if you have both consoles and sims are your thing, buy both. I had Forza 3 at one point, and even though GT5 has hooked me more than any sim racer before it, I suggest the purchase.

That is a completely wrong (and quite frankly whiny)way to look at it.....read trasharmdsister12's post, it explains perfectly what exactly happened with these two game's reviews

That's my take. Some of the reviewers didn't judge it as a racing sim (what it set out to do). It succeeded at what it set out to do, but wasn't judged as such by some reviewers.

And what was FM3 judged as if I may ask? And if GT5 wasnt judged as a racing sim than what was it judged as?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

I haven't played GT5 yet...but Forza 3 is a lot more fun for your average gamer than any Forza or GT game before it.

Its a very streamlined experiece...push start, start carrer, race. The game never feels like you're grinding races to unlock cars and features. There is a lot of variety and features, however you never feel confused about what you should be doing.

Not every reviewer is a sim racing car enthusiast and for your average joe, Forza 3 is prolly a more fun game...so reviews proly reflect that.

Does it matter?

CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

Different standars to each game. Forza has far less expectation placed on it (not to mention GT5 wasn't judged fairly by some reviewers). I think Forza 3 just had an overall extra layer of polish that GT5 may have lacked, but considering how much more GT5 was doing, and how much more expecation is placed upon the franchise in general, the end results aren't too surprising.

I say if you have both consoles and sims are your thing, buy both. I had Forza 3 at one point, and even though GT5 has hooked me more than any sim racer before it, I suggest the purchase.

That is a completely wrong (and quite frankly whiny)way to look at it.....read trasharmdsister12's post, it explains perfectly what exactly happened with these two game's reviews

That's my take. Some of the reviewers didn't judge it as a racing sim (what it set out to do). It succeeded at what it set out to do, but wasn't judged as such by some reviewers.

And what was FM3 judged as if I may ask?

Reading through reviews, much more like a racing game, than a racing sim. GT5 was judged like an arcade racer by some of the reviews, or any other racing game, and many acknowledge that (even rival reviewers say it). I didn't say ALL, I said some. Most reviews were fair in GT5's case, some were not. Simple.

That answers what GT was judged as(iyo) but what about FM3.....

trasharmdsister12 said:
disolitude said:

I haven't played GT5 yet...but Forza 3 is a lot more fun for your average gamer than any Forza or GT game before it.

Its a very streamlined experiece...push start, start carrer, race. The game never feels like you're grinding races to unlock cars and features. There is a lot of variety and features, however you never feel confused about what you should be doing.

Not every reviewer is a sim racing car enthusiast and for your average joe, Forza 3 is prolly a more fun game...so reviews proly reflect that.

I was actually going to mention this in my post. IMO Forza is a better racing experience while GT5 is a better driving experience. Keywords: racing and driving.

GT5 in my mind is the undisputed leader in console simulation driving. It handles realistically and is very uncompromising. It was to my pleasant surprise that it out-did Forza 3 in this aspect. Having said that to me Forza has a more pleasing racing experience, be that how the races are set up and how they progress and challenge new skills, the rewards, the customization of difficulty and the actual racing is more fun with the aggressive but sensible AI. I know GT5 is supposed to progress and get better with AI and damage but  I'm only commenting on where I am right now (level 12 in GT5 and level 25 in Forza 3)

Its nice for some actual input on both games

Now going by your comment, I 'd say if I were gonna get the two, I'd get............Forza3

I'm not into racings sims too much so an arcady sim would be much better

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

i'll second that CGI.

CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

Reading through reviews, much more like a racing game, than a racing sim. GT5 was judged like an arcade racer by some of the reviews, or any other racing game, and many acknowledge that (even rival reviewers say it). I didn't say ALL, I said some. Most reviews were fair in GT5's case, some were not. Simple.

Actually, the answer is in the post:

"Much more like a racing game than a racing sim". In other words, it didn't have the same expectations of a racing sim placed upon it. It's somewhat evident in a good of portion of GT5's reviews too, as many consider it the better racing sim of the two, just not the better game.

Is that a really "unfair" judgement to make? I mean GTR games (anything simbim really)on the pc are the best racing simulators on the market(which is why you only see claims that GT games are the best sims on consoles) yet the meta ranges from 83-90.If thats the way it is then why isnt it fair to judge a game past its sim's merits? If the best sim gets judged this way...so should FM3 and GT5.

go watch the fastlane and simracing tonight reviews as well as the class game room one about gt5 on youtube those are proper reviews even though the reviewers arent yet level 20.

also gt5 was called the best sim on consoles by most sites, so its score doesnt matter.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:

Actually, the answer is in the post:

"Much more like a racing game than a racing sim". In other words, it didn't have the same expectations of a racing sim placed upon it. It's somewhat evident in a good of portion of GT5's reviews too, as many consider it the better racing sim of the two, just not the better game.

Is that a really "unfair" judgement to make? I mean GTR games (anything simbim really)on the pc are the best racing simulators on the market(which is why you only see claims that GT games are the best sims on consoles) yet the meta ranges from 83-90.If thats the way it is then why isnt it fair to judge a game past its sim's merits? If the best sim gets judged this way...so should FM3 and GT5.

I've explained it the best that I can, which judging responses to my words within the thread, it has gotten across for the most part. In your case, I'm not sure what else needs explaining.

So glad to see this site hasnt changed.....

werent you hear for the week people were running thousands of Metacritic scores at 1/10 for Gt5?

GT5 made new records in that regard :P

Fanboys ftw

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"