By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My rant against gamers who buy yearly sequels.

I know what you mean, but once in a while gamers take a stand against this sort of thing.

Look at Boom Blox Bash Party for instance.  That only sold 15 copies.  So much for that yearly franchise that EA wanted. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

we haven't got to Capcom level and start releasing an million  different Street Fighter 2 games with slight upgrades. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

if they're good. IDC. assasins creed 2, and brotherhood are awesome... 1 was not. imo.

I've never liked call of duty or any of each first party's FPS regardless so I don't buy them.. and I don't really like mario anymore for this reason, (Even if it's not yearly I still got burnt out on that)

mchaza said:

we haven't got to Capcom level and start releasing an million  different Street Fighter 2 games with slight upgrades. 

Capcom.  Why did you have to mention Capcom? *vein forms on forehead* Goddam, my love/hate relationship with those guys,  Two vwrsions of Street Fighter 4 released ledd than a year apart with "DLC" that has cost me more than bot games (I have no willpower when it comes to SF4 costumes), and a rumored THIRD SF4 game in 2011 with a couple of new characters.  I actually k ow the people I play online.  Dividing us between games.....FUCK!  And how many Megaman games are there?    And....and...fuck.  My heart.....I'm....I'm dead.

*has heart attack*

I personally refuse to buy any more CoD games. Not because I dislike them (though that is a factor), but because they're popular and don't deserve to be, at least not nearly as popular as they are. If I paid $60 for the PC version of MW2 ($60 for a fucking PC game!!!), and, if we added on the map packs (which I didn't buy) that'd bring me to about $90. That's $90 for a 6 hours single player with no replay value and a broken multiplayer component. On the other hand, I spent $60 on Europa Universalis III. If you add the expansions that comes to $60 (and probably $80 when EU3: Divine Winds comes out >.>). With that I get nearly one thousand hours of play time in singleplayer (since I bought Heir to the Throne at least) and a solid MP component. The reason I'm making this comparison? They're both yearly franchises.

2007: Call of Duty 4, Europa Universalis III, and Europa Universalis III: Napoleon's Ambition (expansion)

2008: CoD: WaW and In Nomine (expansion)

2009: MW2 and Heir to the Throne (near complete remaking of the game)

2010: BlOps and Divine Winds (not yet released)

The thing is, with EU3 I get so much more. Free updates that change core game mechanics. Mods. An awesome community. The list goes on and on.

/rant

Around the Network
SmoothCriminal said:
Linkasf said:

Halo isnt a yearly released game.

Way to completely miss the point >.>

It would be more relevant if the title was "Rant against mainstream gamers".

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Maybe i don't care if the game the is innovative or not. Maybe i want to play a yearly COD & etc....I like those games, I don't care if they come out within the year, or even within the month, as long as its good. Which for the most part, is.

BUY VANQUISH SUPPORT NEW IPs

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

The games are just incredibly awesome, that's why people buy them every year.

OoSnap said:

Seriously, why in the world do many people continue to buy yearly sequels or iterations of basically the same game?Every year there is a Madden, Halo, CoD game that sells millions. I am actually disappointed Black Ops sold even better than the last Call of Duty game. It is because of these people video game companies have no incentive to make new,  innovative, interesting video games. Every year they spew out a slight variation of the last game and stamp a new title on it and it sells millions. Unbelievable.

It is because gamers fear that if they don't the develoeprs will blame the consoel fo rnot having hardcore gamers and will stop makign games all together.

Just look at Wii sales every year the iteration of the same game decreases. So developers excuse? Wii sucks balls no hardcore crowd.

They never stopped to consider that these people are either smart enough to realise it is the same game or the game is just plain shit.

my rant is at EA mainly lol.