By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Cheebee said:

I highly approve of this thread, and I hereby award it with the official Award of Awesomeness.

Awesomeness FTW.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Immortal said:

Are you reading my mind or something, :P? I think it stands a very good chance. It'll only be barely though. Probably something like PS2 153m, Wii 155m.

By the way 2011 will also have Just Dance 3...this game alone almost guarantees a strong Holiday 2011 for Wii.

Just Dance 3 will just sell to existing Wii owners.   With Dance Central and surely a good dance game on Move next year (perhaps Just Dance 3 itself) Just Dance 3 wont sell consoles.

Sure it won't...when will people understand that every big game sells some systems. People said they same thing about Halo Reach, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Donkey Kong Country Returns...I just don't get it Lol.

*Sound Of Rain said:
thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Immortal said:

Are you reading my mind or something, :P? I think it stands a very good chance. It'll only be barely though. Probably something like PS2 153m, Wii 155m.

By the way 2011 will also have Just Dance 3...this game alone almost guarantees a strong Holiday 2011 for Wii.

Just Dance 3 will just sell to existing Wii owners.   With Dance Central and surely a good dance game on Move next year (perhaps Just Dance 3 itself) Just Dance 3 wont sell consoles.

Sure it won't...when will people understand that every big game sells some systems. People said they same thing about Halo Reach, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Donkey Kong Country Returns...I just don't get it Lol.

Actually no when will people learn that it is the library that sells systems not individual games at this stage. When you have 80 (Wii), 50 (360) 45 (PS3) million consoles sold and 100s of games available for each it isnt a single game that pushes console sales. It is simply the library and the knowledge that the console will continue to be supported by games.  Wasnt the launch of GT5 enough to prove it. I am talking about real measurable hardware sales changes. Of course Move and Kinect are somewhat different. They took away the single biggest differentiator that Nintendo had with the Wii.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Immortal said:

Actually no when will people learn that it is the library that sells systems not individual games at this stage. When you have 80 (Wii), 50 (360) 45 (PS3) million consoles sold and 100s of games available for each it isnt a single game that pushes console sales. It is simply the library and the knowledge that the console will continue to be supported by games.  Wasnt the launch of GT5 enough to prove it. I am talking about real measurable hardware sales changes. Of course Move and Kinect are somewhat different. They took away the single biggest differentiator that Nintendo had with the Wii.

Single games don't have much pull on their own maybe, but at this time in a consoles life they can easily be the tipping point along with a small handfull of other games. After all there are a lot of people who buy consoles and only get about 5 games for them ever, otherwise those of us with dozens of games would be able to pull the attach ratios up a bit more (which I think this generation is quite high compared to the past, but still remains around 9-10 games per system)

For example, before the Wii I was considering skipping this gen due to money reasons, perhaps topping up a few GC games then maybe getting a console for the following generation... if I had done that I could relatively easily have changed my mind with Zelda: Skyward Swords release.

-------

For avid gamers, it's all about the library (or given that they are early adopters: the anticipation of a library) for many more casual gamers it's about a small selection of games, perhaps even a single franchise... the last few years of the PS2 have likely had a big portion buying it just for the GTA games, or just for singstar or buzz. And in fact, another section of gaming is the sports sim... a lot of people will just buy a console and the odd madden or FIFA game (though I don't think they would generally be late adopters, and are more likely to buy the hardware with the first or second of their chosen sports game release)

Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

My year end prediction speaks of my disagreement but I admire your big balls. If it does come true, kudos!

Wanna bet that the Wii will outperform your year end prediction by at least one million if not three, :P?

Lol, no. I freely admit that your balls are bigger than mine!

Come on, :P. We can just make it a crow eating bet. Whoever loses eats crow, :D.

Okay, sure. I bet that the Wii will not overshoot my prediction by a minimum of 1 million versus your prediction that it will outperform last years numbers.

I've had crow before, the trick is to use lots and lots of condiments!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Okay, sure. I bet that the Wii will not overshoot my prediction by a minimum of 1 million versus your prediction that it will outperform last years numbers.

:O. That's not what I was betting, :P. I might as well eat crow now if I'm gonna make that bet. Even I heavily doubt it'll get close to last year's numbers, just saying that it'll outdo your prediction hugely. No fun making a bet when both of us will more likely than not eat crow.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

:O. That's not what I was betting, :P. I might as well eat crow now if I'm gonna make that bet. Even I heavily doubt it'll get close to last year's numbers, just saying that it'll outdo your prediction hugely. No fun making a bet when both of us will more likely than not eat crow.

Just remember to upload pictures!

Mmm...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

thx1139 said:
Immortal said:
thx1139 said:
Immortal said:

While that's probably true, Wii had been getting closer to last year's performand anyway and would have been only slightly under its 2009 performance had it not been for the release of NSMB the week before. I doubt it would have been too much off last year even without the deals and, with DKCR, DEM and the increasing effect of the Red Wii in the holidays, it should still get close to my prediction as I do have it hugely under last year for this week, which hasn't had many deals going on according to your observations. Anyway, there's pretty much no doubt it'll be up YOY in EMEAA because of the bundles and should be enough to counter the YOY losses in Japan and then some so Americas can be a little down as well.

Why is it going to be up in EMEAA. It was down 75,000 from last year this past week. So all of a sudden it is going to go from down like 20% to up YoY.  I dont get it.

The MKW and WFP bundles. The NSMB bundle took two weeks to really boost the Wii in EMEAA so I'm guessing the MKW bundle will do the same. With the WFP bundles on top of that... it's gonna sell a lot.

EDIT: For your other comment, I seriously doubt that's gonna affect Wii sales at all. The Wii stopped selling to people who are influenced that easily back in early 2009. Now, it's selling to people who won't just let peer/media pressure force them onto a console, Nintendo fans who haven't bought a Wii yet and people with budgets.

Honestly the Wii is at like 80Million. What Nintendo fans are left that havent picked up a Wii yet.  This isnt peer/media pressure it is information for the consumer and the NY Time article is 100% correct. Unless Sony and Nintendo just abandon Move and Kinect software all Wii has left if people who want Nintendo exclusives and that means Zelda and what Nintendo fan that wants Zelda hasnt picked up a Wii yet.

Do you know the word "games that have not yet been announced and that might turn into big hits and catapult the Wii?". And I know this has nineteens words.

Above: still the best game of the year.

thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
thx1139 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Immortal said:

Monter Hunter sure sold a lot of PSPs.

And you gotta be joking if you think motion controls are what made the Wii sucessfull. If it was, crappy third parties with motion tacked on their games would have huge sucess, what you can't say about all of their games.

Conegamer said:
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

Just remember to upload pictures!

Mmm...

Yummy, that sure looks tasty.