By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NY Times: Nintendo Wii .... doomed as usual

Mr Khan said:
SmokedHostage said:

The Wii probably has the greatest commodity this gen.

Nintendo titles.

Talk to me when Wii Fit 3/Mario Kart Wii 2/NSMBW2 is on PS3 and 360.

Your Shape, Mod Nation Racers, and LBP2 show that they're at least trying :P

If we compare sales, these games doesn't exist.

(LBP2 hasn't been release. My apologize)

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

It's amazing how in 2010, the graphics argument is still valid.

Honestly; if the consumer populace cared about graphics, we'd all be playing games on PC's and Atari/Nintendo/SEGA/etc. wouldn't be held in as high a regard as they are now.

Pixel Art can be fun.

"But what will happen when developers start incorporating Kinect features like voice recognition into their big-budget titles? I cannot wait to find out. Imagine an adventure game controlled by simply standing and turning and leaning and holding the game’s items on the screen."

Would people really want to stand, lean and turn for serveral hours while they played a Zelda type game?  This guy really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Hasn't the author thought about that people buy a Wii to play it's  games?

It's a GAMING console after all. 

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

Euphoria14 said:
pacman91 said:
Euphoria14 said:
pacman91 said:
Euphoria14 said:

They are correct about what SONY can possibly do with their MLB The Show series if they use the Move correctly. It would allow you to actually golf swing a low inside pitch and with enough speed launch it to the fences.

It is the game I am looking forward to most right now. The calibration screen is caused me to think of the possibilities. With it the eye will realize where you waistline is, making it even more deadly accurate when swinging high or low.

I don't think the Move gets enough credit.

It'll be awfully hard to replicate a baseball game with motion. Batting is the most difficult skill in any sport, and most gamers will not have the arm to throw consistently and with great velocity. If you're looking for a baseball simulation I think you'll be severely disappointed.

I still believe the Move will give us the closest representation to an actual swing of the bat thanks to the use of not only the controller but the camera as well?

If you ever play Sports Champions and see the calibration screen and just mess around with moving stuff like the Table Tennis paddle or a Frisbee you will realize what I mean.

Ever played The Show? Batting is hard enough to the point where most people don't have fun. It is incredibly difficult. They will undoubtedly do the best they can with the Move. The Show is a Baseball simulator, not just a Baseball game.

Haven't played Sports Champions. Throwing a frisbee I assume would be the same as in Wii sports resort or Tiger 2010/11.  What differentiates it?

I have played The show a bit. It is definitely a baseball simulation with a controller. No doubt. But would that fact carry over to a motion simulation? I would be infinitely impressed.  Detecting the sweet spot of a bat, hip detection, hitting a TRUE fastball or breaking ball, true physics of hitting the ball in conjunction with the motion swing. Then there's pitching...that would be brutal. 90% of gamers wouldn't be a able to pitch adequately. Would I love to see it come together? Definitely. I just remain skeptical. And perhaps as a baseball fan, and N64 baseball enthusiast my expectations of a true simulator are too high. 

Everyone can bowl and throw a frisbee. Baseball is an elite skill game.

On the bright side though any Move usage will be an additional option. They can tweak it over the next few years.

Well I am not sure about hip detection, but sweet spot could just be a few inches or so above where the PSEye detects the lighted ball. I am sure that could work. As for comparisons with WiiMotion Plus, I seriously believe that so many neglect the fact that the Move also makes use of the camera. That alone, through calibration, allow it to realize how tall you are, where your shoulder, waist and knees are. It could definitely allow the PSEye and Move to determine how high or low you swing and also how far you reach out or if you short swing on an inside pitch that might jam you up and in, or as mentioned before, down and inside.

It could work, but to be even better it would require a Kinect like camera along with the Move controller.

This is why I think the WMPlus/Move comparison is wrong in so many ways. It has many options if you take the time to actually use one and realize what options the camera really opens up for you. Plus with a dev team like the one in The Show, I am sure they will do it right, as they have done for years now. They don't mess around.

Dozens of sites have showed the comparisons.  All reports show in conjunction with the camera Move is slightly more accurate in detecting motion. It is a later technology so that makes a whole lot of sense. I have not seen Frisbee Move in action, so I did not what you were referring to.

Around the Network

That article was obviously written by a video game elitist.  'PS3 looks like a real golf course' pleease.  Don't get me wrong, it looks great but not that good.   Aside from that, the realism doesn't necessarily add much to most people.

As for Wii not having anything to add, how about 4 years game library?

this again. It's like seeing the same lecture done by  different teacher each week

there's still something Wii can do that Ps3/Xbox360 cannot: play Nintendo games!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

The biggest problem with this article is that it's all about potential. They mention tech, but not a single piece of software that can doom the Wii. If processing power alone were all that was necessary, we wouldn't have calculators, handhelds, phones that do things other than call people, or the smaller versions of iPods. A truly revolutionary game on Kinect or Move could doom the Wii, but the question is if they can do it during the lifetimes of both their respective systems and the Wii, which Nintendo will probably replace within two years.

Love and tolerate.

DixieKong said:

Hmmm... First it was "Nintendo is doomed because they are using motion controls!" And now it's "Nintendo is doomed because their competitors have motion control games in HD!"

Finally! Someone understands the hypocrisy!