By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NY Times: Nintendo Wii .... doomed as usual

I don't agree with the article, but I won't argue the mundane content of it. Obviously, this reporter is not a "serious" gamer. There are other matters to discuss.

First, more people in the US and around the world read the NY Times online and in print than those who follow all major gaming websites combined. Thusforth, the impact of an article such as this to a potential Blue Ocean consumer is more powerful than the most eloquent, researched article here, on Gamespot, on G4TV, and on.

Second, bad press regardless of whether you care about it should always be noted. This article is bad press for Nintendo and good press for Sony and Microsoft. Combined with a much larger readership, Nintendo should take notice even if they don't care. Stories like this may just be the beginning.

Third, when the Nintendo 3DS comes out Nintendo will get really good press for 1 month. I am fairly certain of this however I may be wrong and there may be news pieces int the Washington Post and NY Times, which assail Nintendo for pricing the 3DS the same as a 160 gb PS3 or 250 gb 360.

Finally, Apple is releasing the iPad 2 with 3D projection in April 2011, just a month after the release of the 3DS. The press coverage once the iPad 2 drops will bury the coverage of the 3DS. Your news organizations will see the iPad 2 as more than the 3DS because it is a tablet computer that can run work apps, play high def movies via Netflix, play games, and put out 3D projection just like the 3DS.

I would not dismiss this story outright.

Around the Network

Yes NY times the Wii is Doomed because it sold more than the competition furing Black Friday. You're right and precise.

Linkasf said:

Yes NY times the Wii is Doomed because it sold more than the competition furing Black Friday. You're right and precise.

logic at its finest

Killiana1a said:

I don't agree with the article, but I won't argue the mundane content of it. Obviously, this reporter is not a "serious" gamer. There are other matters to discuss.

First, more people in the US and around the world read the NY Times online and in print than those who follow all major gaming websites combined. Thusforth, the impact of an article such as this to a potential Blue Ocean consumer is more powerful than the most eloquent, researched article here, on Gamespot, on G4TV, and on.

Second, bad press regardless of whether you care about it should always be noted. This article is bad press for Nintendo and good press for Sony and Microsoft. Combined with a much larger readership, Nintendo should take notice even if they don't care. Stories like this may just be the beginning.

Third, when the Nintendo 3DS comes out Nintendo will get really good press for 1 month. I am fairly certain of this however I may be wrong and there may be news pieces int the Washington Post and NY Times, which assail Nintendo for pricing the 3DS the same as a 160 gb PS3 or 250 gb 360.

Finally, Apple is releasing the iPad 2 with 3D projection in April 2011, just a month after the release of the 3DS. The press coverage once the iPad 2 drops will bury the coverage of the 3DS. Your news organizations will see the iPad 2 as more than the 3DS because it is a tablet computer that can run work apps, play high def movies via Netflix, play games, and put out 3D projection just like the 3DS.

Funny you mention Apple, as there are tons of articles from popular sources that criticize them. However, this hardly matters because word of mouth is always far more powerful than some random article. People aren't so easily controlled by the media.

Also, "stories like this" can't really be the beginning, since it's been ongoing for a long time now.

Okay, do Wii fans hibernate during the year and wake up in the holidays? I could've sworn that if this article had been posted 2 months ago, everybody would be talking abut how the Wii fad is finally over and Kinect and Move will be but the final nails in its coffin, :P.

As for the article, QQ MOAR! Can't believe NY Times has fanboys.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
c0rd said:
Killiana1a said:

Funny you mention Apple, as there are tons of articles from popular sources that criticize them. However, this hardly matters because word of mouth is always far more powerful than some random article. People aren't so easily controlled by the media.

Also, "stories like this" can't really be the beginning, since it's been ongoing for a long time now.

I was being a bit loose with the keyboard there on "the beginning part."

I can't think of one Time, NY Times, USA Today, Washington Post, People or other fodder for the masses publication who has done a Matt Taibbi scathing review of an Apple product.

Sure Popular Science or some publication on it's last legs may have, but I would have never heard about it. Or I don't remember. I may need my memory jogged.

NY Times? is that like a US News Paper?

nintenfan.com said:

PS360 fans can go to hell

Guess where you can go?

Antabus said:
nintenfan.com said:

PS360 fans can go to hell

Guess where you can go?

He can go to heaven!

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Immortal said:

Okay, do Wii fans hibernate during the year and wake up in the holidays? I could've sworn that if this article had been posted 2 months ago, everybody would be talking abut how the Wii fad is finally over and Kinect and Move will be but the final nails in its coffin, :P.

As for the article, QQ MOAR! Can't believe NY Times has fanboys.

I think people are easily controlled by the media. The media convinced the US that Iraq had chemical and nuclear weapons; this in turn convinced the US to approve of a war that will cost in the trillions (not even mentioning the effects on human life) when it is finished.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.