By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are you (and others) Playstation fans? Question about franchises

Xen said:

I won't repeat what CGI, Xxain, and the others have already said, perfectly representing my thoughts and just ask... why the need for ONE thing to represent a brand? What is really the point of this when the whole library is collectively awesome?

There is one thing... the cell... maybe two, bluray... or three, library... we could go on forever =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

IDK about other people, but I've only been a playstation fan for a few years. Massive Nintendo and Sega fan growing up when the psx first hit the scene.  Then the xbox came out and I got myself a serious case of Halo fever. It's odd, ever since I started gaming so long ago, it's seemed that Nintendo was the powerhouse company with Sega. And then Sega kind of turned into Xbox which was massive in my circle of friends and at school during the Combat evolved days. It wasn't until I discovered this magic place we call the Internet that I found out Sony was REALLY top dog... just blew my fucking mind out. Even in 2005, my friend bought himself a psp and showed it too me. he was like, "dude, it's shiny and can play GTA!!!" I was all like, "dude, look at my DS! It's not only shiny...er, but I can play Pokemon dash! Bitch." As you can imagine, we did not remain friends for long... WTF am I talking about? Oh yea, why am I drawn to playstation more than I ever was to Nintendo, Sega or who else?

Because Sony's game making abilities have skyrocketed in the past couple of years. They're like the morbidly obese kid who gets a 4.0 in high school. It's like they are overcompensating for what they lost sales wise by making games of that much higher quality. And I see that in alot of their first party studios maturing. Just last year they made 4 games that shot very high up my 'favorite games' list with Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Flower and Patapon 2 (which shot to #1). All those games did something amazingly, were moving, or just incredibly unique (Or even a combination off all three). Also, 2 of them were new ips... which says something in today's current gaming environment... Where I see other gaming companies started to really stagnate, I see Sony just getting started. Probably the biggest moment where I realized Sony had their heart in the right place was the situation with heavy rain. Honestly, that game should have never been made. It's a multimillion dollar new ip that has niche and commercial and critical failure written all over it. But Sony stuck to their guns and made one hell of an experience even taking into consideration HR's flaws. There's something to say about that situation... Alright, so I guess this giant f'ing long posted turned into a rip off  of what others already said in here. "I love teh games!" Sony FTW" and "Diversity" are really all I got... is that okay?

I mean, Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games ever along with Patapon, Echochrome, and locoroco but I don't necessarily like all Sony games. I don't give a shit about kill zone or Twisted metal but I can see the quality in them. I'm sure that those are some peoples favorite games who would make a post very similar to this but interchange the games I've mentioned with their own that I completely don't care about. Which is cool! And I think that's why alot of people like them and why Sony really doesn't need a 'mascot' if you will. They have fps, sandbox, artistic, 3rd person shooters, action adventure, 2dplatformerfpsminigamesackboyeverythingengine, racing, sports, hack n' slash and other genres covered. Why just have one face when you can have many? Sony, it only does everything (ZING!)

An interesting coincidence: During any given console generation, my console of choice has never been in first place. For the Genesis, the SNES won out. For the N64, PSX snuffed it out with a pillow. The Xbox 1... ps2 should be in prison for rape. The ps3, Wii did naughty, naughty things too it... Also, when the psp latched and did gangbusters, I was a big fan of the ds. When the system started to free fall, Patapon released. Patapon is my favorite game ever made... I found loco roco, Pixeljunk monsters deluxe, patchwork heroes and a few other notable games that I enjoyed more than any DS game I've ever played (which is alot). So psp is now my favorite portable... (last place, ds on rape charges yadda yadda) Also, I was a big fan of the game gear... We won't go into that

___________________________________________________________________________________________

God damn did I just let everything out like a giant shit... I deserve a 'cool story bro' image for this... :(

DonFerrari said:
richardhutnik said:
DonFerrari said:

This is a nice answer...

And my love for PS3 started with Genesis... as child i couldn't have 2 consoles and my dad bought us a Mega Drive (Genesis)... so i only played Super Nintendo (SNES) when i where in my friends house, so never were attached to Nintendo... i remember the chaos that SSF2 and MK being released multiplat (were exclusive to each console by the time)...

When i were 14 i saved enough money to buy my PS1 (200$, in US where 50~100$, Taxes is a B*tch) there weren't even buzz to N64... since the first GT to now i'm in love... as some said before me, Sony never left me behind with games... had 50 PS1, 150 PS2 and crossed 25 PS3 titles off all genres and parties...

My prefered games were never in other console... and i don't like shooters very much, so never tough Xbox were for me... i play kid/casual games casually =] so Wii/Nintendo isn't really what i need...

If you want to talk about prefered games we can go on =]

And sorry if i looked rude too you, didn't revised my post...

Well, it was kinda hard to come off as nice originally when I was probing with a speculative question, with "off the top of my head" and picking out the flagship reasons.  This apparently didn't fit the Playstation brand.  My question was a bit of an outside to near religious devotion I have seen towards the brand I didn't get why.  I understood others, but not this one.  Sony is a late comer, but took over for awhile.  I just didn't get the devotion to the brand and asked why.  For me, the Playstation brand became dominant, so I bought stuff for it.  I did this while watching Sega go under, a brand I happened to like.  So, the question is what lies at the heart of the devotion to the brand that some have, that I didn't get.  Mascots are merely shortcuts to the answer in question, but don't fully fit.

In regards to this, the only bit of bluntess I was personally offended by is people telling me to take the Playstation signature at the bottom (supposed to be next to the XBox one) as if it is some sort of badge of devotion someone is supposed to be fit to wear or not.  I have them in the signature, because I thought it was a way to show people what I am playing without needing to update it.  And yes, it shows Ratchet, whom I like as a character.

patapon said:

IDK about other people, but I've only been a playstation fan for a few years. Massive Nintendo and Sega fan growing up when the psx first hit the scene.  Then the xbox came out and I got myself a serious case of Halo fever. It's odd, ever since I started gaming so long ago, it's seemed that Nintendo was the powerhouse company with Sega. And then Sega kind of turned into Xbox which was massive in my circle of friends and at school during the Combat evolved days. It wasn't until I discovered this magic place we call the Internet that I found out Sony was REALLY top dog... just blew my fucking mind out. Even in 2005, my friend bought himself a psp and showed it too me. he was like, "dude, it's shiny and can play GTA!!!" I was all like, "dude, look at my DS! It's not only shiny...er, but I can play Pokemon dash! Bitch." As you can imagine, we did not remain friends for long... WTF am I talking about? Oh yea, why am I drawn to playstation more than I ever was to Nintendo, Sega or who else?

Because Sony's game making abilities have skyrocketed in the past couple of years. They're like the morbidly obese kid who gets a 4.0 in high school. It's like they are overcompensating for what they lost sales wise by making games of that much higher quality. And I see that in alot of their first party studios maturing. Just last year they made 4 games that shot very high up my 'favorite games' list with Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Flower and Patapon 2 (which shot to #1). All those games did something amazingly, were moving, or just incredibly unique (Or even a combination off all three). Also, 2 of them were new ips... which says something in today's current gaming environment... Where I see other gaming companies started to really stagnate, I see Sony just getting started. Probably the biggest moment where I realized Sony had their heart in the right place was the situation with heavy rain. Honestly, that game should have never been made. It's a multimillion dollar new ip that has niche and commercial and critical failure written all over it. But Sony stuck to their guns and made one hell of an experience even taking into consideration HR's flaws. There's something to say about that situation... Alright, so I guess this giant f'ing long posted turned into a rip off  of what others already said in here. "I love teh games!" Sony FTW" and "Diversity" are really all I got... is that okay?

I mean, Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games ever along with Patapon, Echochrome, and locoroco but I don't necessarily like all Sony games. I don't give a shit about kill zone or Twisted metal but I can see the quality in them. I'm sure that those are some peoples favorite games who would make a post very similar to this but interchange the games I've mentioned with their own that I completely don't care about. Which is cool! And I think that's why alot of people like them and why Sony really doesn't need a 'mascot' if you will. They have fps, sandbox, artistic, 3rd person shooters, action adventure, 2dplatformerfpsminigamesackboyeverythingengine, racing, sports, hack n' slash and other genres covered. Why just have one face when you can have many? Sony, it only does everything (ZING!)

An interesting coincidence: During any given console generation, my console of choice has never been in first place. For the Genesis, the SNES won out. For the N64, PSX snuffed it out with a pillow. The Xbox 1... ps2 should be in prison for rape. The ps3, Wii did naughty, naughty things too it... Also, when the psp latched and did gangbusters, I was a big fan of the ds. When the system started to free fall, Patapon released. Patapon is my favorite game ever made... I found loco roco, Pixeljunk monsters deluxe, patchwork heroes and a few other notable games that I enjoyed more than any DS game I've ever played (which is alot). So psp is now my favorite portable... (last place, ds on rape charges yadda yadda) Also, I was a big fan of the game gear... We won't go into that

___________________________________________________________________________________________

God damn did I just let everything out like a giant shit... I deserve a 'cool story bro' image for this... :(

Holy.........................................................................................................................

edit : the sad thing i've read all that >_>;

I actually use to love my playstations almost as much as my Nintendos. The PS1 I got for Crash Bandicoot and Spryo the dragon. The JRPG scene was great too as this was when I loved almost anything JRPG's came out with.  I enjoyed MediEvil. I also had a lot of the cheap racing games. I say cheap because i only paid $20 sometimes less for them (including Dukes of Hazzard).

During the PS2 years I actually started falling out of love with Sony. They no longer made Crash and Spryo and the games that did come out with those names where horrible. I really wish somone would just make Crash in the same style from the first ones. FF10 While good I found to be a disappointment overall. I hated FF12. I still had a lot of JRPG's and racing games and some of the platformers, but Looking at my Sony published games I guess I was disappointed overall.  I never liked the GTA games. God of War was ok but i never replayed them. Actually I hardly replayed any of my PS2 games compared to how I useually am. Even though I had a lot less games for my GameCube i differently played it a hell of a lot more.

Coming in to this Gen I wasnt sure if I was going to buy any Home consoles. I was losing interest in the way games had been going and was playing a lot of my older systems. While I still enjoy my JRPG's it is not near as much as it once was. 5-6 of them is enough for me a gen on a home console. PS3 I knew wouldnt do it for me anymore unless they changed up some of thier direction. Xbox360 had/has zero exclusives im interested in. I was actually not sure what to think about the Wii at first. I didnt get mine till 2008.

In the end I still respect the work that Sony comes out with but it is no longer for me. Im not really sure if im considered a fan of thiers anymore or not. However, I still enjoy my PS1 and PS2 and probably will for a long time to come. Even if they get less and less playtime.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
patapon said:

Holy.........................................................................................................................

Don't feel bad.  I read it, too.....and I actually enjoyed it.

d21lewis said:
PullusPardus said:
patapon said:

Don't feel bad.  I read it, too.....and I actually enjoyed it.

me too, very well written actually, especially the hot girls making out part.

To be honest, I've only become a real PlayStation fan in the past several years.  A got the original PlayStation pretty late in its life, simply because it was cheap and my best friend had one.  I was Nintendo-only up until that point.  I then got a PS2 around 2001, because it was *the* console to get.  Even then, all the system was to me was the system that all the games were coming out on and that all my friends had.  Beyond that I didn't know much about it.  Hell, I thought Dynasty Warriors was the best game on the system for its first few years.

It wasn't until rumors of 7th gen consoles first started to surface that I started looking more into the industry.  By the time the PS3 was announced, I had realized that most of my favorite PS2 games were published by Sony (Shadow of the Colossus, Jak & Daxter, Dark Cloud, Sly Cooper, and later God of War, which I didn't get a chance to play until after the PS3 launched, though I wanted to earlier).  My favorite non-Sony franchise from the PS1/2 was Metal Gear Solid, which has been just about PlayStation exclusive from MGS1 on PS1 up until MGS: Rising.  So Sony's games plus MGS basically made me a proper PS fan, and my fandom has only increased this generation, as I've gotten to play awesome new IPs like LittleBigPlanet, Demon's Souls, and Uncharted, which happen to be my three favorite new IPs this gen, listed in order of preference.

At this point, I consider SCE's development operations to be second only to Nintendo, with the two kinda leapfrogging back and forth from year to year (with Sony coming out on top mainly in Nintendo's slow periods, like late 2008 and 2009). 

Both Nintendo and Sony stand head and shoulders above any other publisher, in my opinion, and that is the main reason I'm a big fan of both today.

Playstation brand loyalty goes beyond what the marketing team puts out. Sony could easily have 5 or more names on the level of Mario, Halo, or Gran Turismo, but that is not what they are about. What makes Playstation so special, and why I am proud to call Playstation my number one choice for a game console, is diversity. The stars at Sony actually are the developers. They have a huge staff, and many super talented teams. With Playstation I don't go (I can't wait to see what xxxxx franchise is like on the next console, or the next game). I instead think; were will Amy Hennig take story telling in her next game? How far will Sony Santa Monica push  the standard for gameplay, graphics, and performance in their next title? What new never thought of adventure will just pop up from one of the great studios, and just be left as a great one off game? 

What makes Playstation great is what has made Sony great since the beginning. They don't just do what people want. they try to make something people don't even know they want. Sure it fails a lot of the time, but when it works it is beautiful. Most importantly, I can trust that the products are backed with top of the line quality, and true love in craftsmanship. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

patapon said:

IDK about other people, but I've only been a playstation fan for a few years. Massive Nintendo and Sega fan growing up when the psx first hit the scene.

Same here. I remember back in the day arguing with Playstation fans while having my N64. I would tell them that the PS1 was a piece of shit and that the N64 had all the really good games.

I later got a Playstation and realized just how ignorant my line of thinking was. While the N64 was awesome the PS1 was so much better.

On PS1 I had Vagrant Story, FFVII, VIII and IX, Xenogears and Lunar. On the N64 I had Quest 64...

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!