By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are you (and others) Playstation fans? Question about franchises

I am trying to understand the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand.  I understand Nintendo loyalty.  It was like Atari after the crash, and Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a number of other mascot characters they own that people have attachment to.

Loyalty to Atari is because they were first on the block, and what they put out.

Loyalty to Sega was due to Sonic, their arcade titles, and being a challenger to Nintendo and did sports titles.

Loyalty to Microsoft is Halo, and what they did FPS.

But what is the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand?  What is the franchises that they have that have people loyal?  I see Gran Turismo, but what else do they have?  I would ask primarily first party here, because third-party has had major defection patterns.

I guess in short, what drives yourself, if you are a Sony fan, or people you know, to buy the Playstation brand for a system to play games on?

Around the Network

I have no words.

To me its just Team Ico.

but other than that, Jak and Daxter, Syphon Filter , Wipeout .......ect , also the fact that they constantly create new IPs.

Sony makes a lot of new IPs hence why they have their characters all over the place (which is to me is very dumb) , they don't have a defining mascot they didn't make a jak and daxter game on PS3 yet which is also amazingly dumb.

new IPs are great but ignoring your older IPs is a huge BS.

well first of all i got a ps3 because i had a ps2 last gen. my current loyalties are to gran turismo and the infamous and killzone series, but mainly to the devs of sony since they make a new ip every gen.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

CGI-Quality said:

My goodness, where to start...

The loyalty isn't so much to Sony, but the games. Since the original PlayStation era, Sony has either ushered in or helped usher in some of the biggest, most recognizable brands/franchises in the industry. PlayStation transformed gaming in ways few brands have. From Crash Bandicoot to Uncharted, the PlayStation has plenty to be happy for and look forward to.

It's about providing a strong base in general, and even as the losing company, Sony has provided content in spades. I know I prefer the brand because it has yet to truly let my gaming needs down. I was hardcore Nintendo everything before the 32-bit era, but they kind of lost me here and there between then, while Sony has kept me going. Had it not been for the games, Sony would have been off my radar a very long time ago. But I told people during the PlayStation era that it would rise to the challenge and I'm happy my faith was well put.

Also, if all you see is Gran Turismo as a reason to prefer the PlayStation brand, you aren't realizing even a tiny percentage of what else it offers.

Exactly what he just said.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

If I have to put it down on IPs, it would be Twisted Metal (it was one of my favorite PS1 game), Crash Bandicoot (not anymore though, actually I only liked the ps1 titles) and God of War. But this actually goes way beyond this, Sony usually pushes a lot of different IPs, creating new games every single platform they have, with tons of different game types.

JRPG Boom

and just Massive Japaneses support in general

To be honest I dont Like SONY's 1st party games.I like Team Ico, Ape escape, Crash,Jak and spyro any all there JRPG's and thats about it.

Sony just offers everything, while the XBOX and Wii are lacking in catergories

SEGA and Nintendo are both bomb too but SEGA doesnt make hardware*currently* and Nintendo's home console since N64 are basically just buy them for Nintendo games with a few 3rd party gems here and there

During the PSX and PS2 era, it was towards the FF games. Even in PS3 era, PS3 is still THE console to play FF. Lol, although XIII was a disappointment. 

I guess its just brand loyalty, but i hate shooters and mario, so there's only one place for me to hide. However, I don't really recall whether I love PS first before I hate them or I hate them first. hmm. But you compare the array of games these 3 consoles provide, PS3 has the most games to my gaming taste. 

To me its always been the diversity of games that they bring to the table, ever since the PS1 i always loved playing games like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Tekken, etc. and then came the PS2 with games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, God of war, GTA III-San Andreas, DMC, MGS, Zone of the Enders, Final Fantasy X-XII etc. and then the PS3 with Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous etc. like i said the diversity of games lol

Ajescent said:
CGI-Quality said:

My goodness, where to start...

The loyalty isn't so much to Sony, but the games. Since the original PlayStation era, Sony has either ushered in or helped usher in some of the biggest, most recognizable brands/franchises in the industry. PlayStation transformed gaming in ways few brands have. From Crash Bandicoot to Uncharted, the PlayStation has plenty to be happy for and look forward to.

It's about providing a strong base in general, and even as the losing company, Sony has provided content in spades. I know I prefer the brand because it has yet to truly let my gaming needs down. I was hardcore Nintendo everything before the 32-bit era, but they kind of lost me here and there between then, while Sony has kept me going. Had it not been for the games, Sony would have been off my radar a very long time ago. But I told people during the PlayStation era that it would rise to the challenge and I'm happy my faith was well put.

Also, if all you see is Gran Turismo as a reason to prefer the PlayStation brand, you aren't realizing even a tiny percentage of what else it offers.

Exactly what he just said.

Completely third this.