By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are you (and others) Playstation fans? Question about franchises

Well originally it was Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, and to an extent Resident Evil. for me those games defined gaming. then it moved into PS2 and for the same reasons, and God of War. but its not just that its the quality they offer. loyally to Sony for me comes from the more mature, core games they established in the PS1 era, okay they did it with 3rd party support, but they revolutionised gaming as we know it.

i wont support Microsoft because of Windows, and i think they've proved me right because of RROD, external WiFi adapters and other expenses.

in a way this console war has been good for Sony, in the PS1, PS2 era, FF, MGS, GT, GTA dominated the sales, even games like Jak and Daxtar, God of War, Legend of Dragoon, etc, could never establish themselves as big players because they were far overshadowed by the huge 3rd party offerings. now things have changed and PS3 is know for the incredible 1st party support. and theres free online, cool trophies and the best is yet to come with HD remasterings of Team Ico games, Sly, etc.

Around the Network

Games, diversity, quality... whats not to understand? i know sony wont disapoint because they own good studios and have a healthy support from japanese studios and now western studios as well. i'm not exclusively a playstation gamer but if i were to be i'd be well served and more than satisfied.

i dont think it's IPs as much as it is for nintendo fans (though i know nintendo fans have more reasons other than just IPs) , playstation doesnt carry many IPs to the next gen except for GT. but all sony fans know that the studios will come up with a fresh and good new IP next gen and that they'll keep bringing up their game.

richardhutnik said:

I am trying to understand the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand.  I understand Nintendo loyalty.  It was like Atari after the crash, and Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a number of other mascot characters they own that people have attachment to.

Loyalty to Atari is because they were first on the block, and what they put out.

Loyalty to Sega was due to Sonic, their arcade titles, and being a challenger to Nintendo and did sports titles.

Loyalty to Microsoft is Halo, and what they did FPS.

But what is the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand?  What is the franchises that they have that have people loyal?  I see Gran Turismo, but what else do they have?  I would ask primarily first party here, because third-party has had major defection patterns.

I guess in short, what drives yourself, if you are a Sony fan, or people you know, to buy the Playstation brand for a system to play games on?

huh? I dont how thats relrvant considering its was in majority 3rd parties that made playstation.

rutea7 said:

Games, diversity, quality... whats not to understand? i know sony wont disapoint because they own good studios and have a healthy support from japanese studios and now western studios as well. i'm not exclusively a playstation gamer but if i were to be i'd be well served and more than satisfied.

i dont think it's IPs as much as it is for nintendo fans (though i know nintendo fans have more reasons other than just IPs) , playstation doesnt carry many IPs to the next gen except for GT. but all sony fans know that the studios will come up with a fresh and good new IP next gen and that they'll keep bringing up their game.

Imo Sony always had the IPs, Legend of Dragoon, Team Ico, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Twisted Metal etc. the problem was the 3rd party support completely overpowered and outshadowed the 1st party games, except of course GT. those IPs could never be successful because the 3rd party games just 'stole the show'.

if we look at this gen, those same studios, have shown that they can provide extremely high class offerings. i mean, what do think would have happened with Legend of Dragoon if FF7 was on the Saturn as well?? could Uncharted 2 or Demon's Souls have achieved so much success if FF, GTA, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect were exclusive. (Ubisoft and Bioware were willing to go exclusive with Sony for those games, until the 360 came along).

Edit: Xxain, i think this partly addresses your point as well.

they have the controller that i'm used to... no batteries required, lighter, sixaxis

not a nintendo fan (sad that most jRPGs go there tho) , don't like the 360 controller.

backwards compatibility is the best way to cater to loyal fans... but they screwed that up

i thought ff13 would be an exclusive then again i wasn't very fond of it... mainly i blame squareenix

thats about it...

PS: Naughty Dog = Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted right? 

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

Around the Network
RafaelOrix said:

If I have to put it down on IPs, it would be Twisted Metal (it was one of my favorite PS1 game), Crash Bandicoot (not anymore though, actually I only liked the ps1 titles) and God of War. But this actually goes way beyond this, Sony usually pushes a lot of different IPs, creating new games every single platform they have, with tons of different game types.

Great minds think identically. These very 3 titles made the PlayStation brand for me.

V-r0cK said:
Ajescent said:
CGI-Quality said:

My goodness, where to start...

The loyalty isn't so much to Sony, but the games. Since the original PlayStation era, Sony has either ushered in or helped usher in some of the biggest, most recognizable brands/franchises in the industry. PlayStation transformed gaming in ways few brands have. From Crash Bandicoot to Uncharted, the PlayStation has plenty to be happy for and look forward to.

It's about providing a strong base in general, and even as the losing company, Sony has provided content in spades. I know I prefer the brand because it has yet to truly let my gaming needs down. I was hardcore Nintendo everything before the 32-bit era, but they kind of lost me here and there between then, while Sony has kept me going. Had it not been for the games, Sony would have been off my radar a very long time ago. But I told people during the PlayStation era that it would rise to the challenge and I'm happy my faith was well put.

Also, if all you see is Gran Turismo as a reason to prefer the PlayStation brand, you aren't realizing even a tiny percentage of what else it offers.

Exactly what he just said.

Completely third this.  

What these guys said. 

Variety, they have never dissapointed me when it comes to that and quality in games. Especially after next year or so, it will be clear why I'm such a big fan of theirs

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

richardhutnik said:

I am trying to understand the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand.  I understand Nintendo loyalty.  It was like Atari after the crash, and Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a number of other mascot characters they own that people have attachment to.

Loyalty to Atari is because they were first on the block, and what they put out.

Loyalty to Sega was due to Sonic, their arcade titles, and being a challenger to Nintendo and did sports titles.

But what is the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand?  What is the franchises that they have that have people loyal?  I see Gran Turismo, but what else do they have?  I would ask primarily first party here, because third-party has had major defection patterns.

I guess in short, what drives yourself, if you are a Sony fan, or people you know, to buy the Playstation brand for a system to play games on?

If this is not a flamebait you must take off your PS3 tag... there is over 20 1st and 2nd party franchises exclusively to Sony System (and some of the 3rd that just now turned ships)...

If you don't know the PS3 best games, just don't say you play it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
richardhutnik said:

If this is not a flamebait you must take off your PS3 tag... there is over 20 1st and 2nd party franchises exclusively to Sony System (and some of the 3rd that just now turned ships)...

If you don't know the PS3 best games, just don't say you play it.

I kinda agree. You can't be a PS fan without knowing what the PS systems have to offer.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?