By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

wiidomination & dsdomination all the way!!, Jokes aside, that was a good week for games in general, hopefully the numbers will remain this high for the holiday season--- 1mill DK next week!!!

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:
smbu2000 said:
LivingMetal said:
smbu2000 said:
LivingMetal said:
LovePeace said:

360 beats PS3 in GT5 launch Week.

360 is a BEAST!

Not really with only a relative 40,000 difference when you consider that the Xbox 360 has almost always greatly outsold the PS3 in the Americas and the casual audience target of Kinect.  But that's just my humble opinion.

:)

Seriously? The 360 sold 540k WW last year (and was outsold by the PS3 in Americas 486k vs. 353k). This year the 360 has sold 844k WW (up over 300k YOY) and outsold the PS3 in the Americas 604k vs. 411k. The PS3 even had Sony's biggest franchise game launch, giving it an extra boost.

I'd say the 360 is doing extremely well at the moment.

The keyword here is "context" in which the Xbox 360 is a beast in comparison to PS3 sales which isn't, again, in my humble opinion.  But, yes, the Xbox 360 sales itself is a beast, but so is the PS3 just not quite as the Xbox 360.

Last year PS3's 778k vs. 360's 540k. This year PS3's 803k (w/GT5 launch) vs. 360's 844k. I'd say it is a beast in comparison to the PS3. Many people thought the PS3 would do over 1 million with GT5's launch and Black Friday. Instead it gets outsold by the 360...

Both are over 800K and within 40K of each other, you simply can't claim either is a beast vs the other.  They both did well and - predictably - their results were skewed by region, indicating that while the boosts are good the current status quo where 360/Kinect is more attractive in US and PS3/Move is more attractive outside US (relative to each others sales by region) hasn't changed much nor seems likely to.

What I would accept is MS played the Kinect release very well, timing it close to the holidays and linked to some great deals.  Move releasing earlier allowed Sony to get to market first, but meant the initial interest and peaks had weakened much more than Kinect.

GT5 put PS3 ahead in EMEA, but in US it's just not as big and I'd argue racing titles in US overall have slumped a bit this gen.

Result, a very close week in percentage ratio.  Great performances by both HD consoles - neither is beast relative to the other.

Now, if you want to talk about the Wii's seasonal boost relative to the HD consoles and it's recent sales - well, that is a bit of a beast of a seasonal boost!

I agree with a lot of that... except that MOVE is bigger in EMEAA than Kinect. 

We dont know that yet and I strongly suspect it wont be in the medium term.  I think Kinect is actually already bigger than MOVE in Europe amongst the existing user base, the question is if either can really push into new console purchases.

I didn't mean Move itself, more PS3/Move combo compared to 360/Kinect combo.   I do think in UK for sure Kinect has appealed more to existing owners than Move.  I'm actually feeling that both Kinect/Move have appealed to existing owners more than Sony/MS might have thought vs new owners.  It's always the standalone versions of each that are hard to get vs bundles.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Nsanity said:

I hate to be buzz kill, but wasn't this the week that GT5 was suppose to help PS3 outsell the 360 and Wii?

Was... but we are celebrating UC2 here

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Antabus said:

Cool, HD marketshare went up by 0.1%.

this would make more sense to me if both consoles were made by the same manufacturer. It´s just like if we combined wii and 360 sales (either the hardware or the casual games they might have) and compared them to ps3.

it´s not like microsoft and sony are together in a crusade to get marketshare from wii. Each manufacturer cares only about themselves.

(Sorry if it somehow sounds rude)

Reasonable said:

Well, I got Wii to be top correct - I knew the seasonal boost would see it top 360 and PS3 - however I got PS3 and 360 slightly back to front.  I figured GT5 would give just enough of a boost in EMEA/Japan to put PS3 slightly ahead but it turned out to be the other way around.

Sports Champions breaks 1 million so I guess it's fair to say that worldwide both Kinect and Move have been pretty successful given the Wii install base.  They've scored better in different regions - much like their consoles - but both have a pretty firm footing already it feels like, and both should be deliverying pretty nice profit too.

GT5 a decent launch given the last minute delays - not to mention all the other delays.  I do feel it could have opened higher if the launch hadn't been delayed at the last minute and if Sony have advertised it better, but over 2M for a racer on a single console openning is pretty good, even for GT franchise.  Now it's all going to be about seeing if it has legs like the other GT titles.  If so, it's going to end up as a very big single console seller with that openning.

Next weeks don't have BF, so if Sony advertse it heavily maybe we can see a great holiday season to GT5?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Saruman said:

Why are people so excited about Sports Champions sales? 50% or more of these sales came from bundles, so i don't see, what's so special about this number.

Are people cheering that Kinect Adventures has sold more than 2.4 million units?

If people cheer Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii Sports Resorts and now Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii even though the sales are nearly all tied to console/hardware sales then why not SC?

Sure wii sports , resort , wii play and wii fit have always been tied to hardware (wii fit because of the balance board), but mario kart wii and nsmbwii each sold over 20 and 16 million respectibly before been even bundled (the wii wheel doesn´t count since it´s just a piece of plastic). even wii sports resort sold over 15 mill before been bundled to the console( it IS bundled with motion plus though)

DonFerrari said:
Reasonable said:

Well, I got Wii to be top correct - I knew the seasonal boost would see it top 360 and PS3 - however I got PS3 and 360 slightly back to front.  I figured GT5 would give just enough of a boost in EMEA/Japan to put PS3 slightly ahead but it turned out to be the other way around.

Sports Champions breaks 1 million so I guess it's fair to say that worldwide both Kinect and Move have been pretty successful given the Wii install base.  They've scored better in different regions - much like their consoles - but both have a pretty firm footing already it feels like, and both should be deliverying pretty nice profit too.

GT5 a decent launch given the last minute delays - not to mention all the other delays.  I do feel it could have opened higher if the launch hadn't been delayed at the last minute and if Sony have advertised it better, but over 2M for a racer on a single console openning is pretty good, even for GT franchise.  Now it's all going to be about seeing if it has legs like the other GT titles.  If so, it's going to end up as a very big single console seller with that openning.

Next weeks don't have BF, so if Sony advertse it heavily maybe we can see a great holiday season to GT5?

Funnily enough I've finally seen some adverts in UK post launch.  I wonder if Sony has decided to let it launch relatively quietly (from a marketing viewpoint)  then spend the money to try and double dip for Christmas in EMEA by using post launch marketing coupled with gift purchasing to drive a second spike.

I mean, GT5 should still see good sales in EMEA until 25th, but it does feel like the marketing push is only beginning now rather than prior to launch.

I can never make head nor tail of Sony marketing strategies TBH.  They always seem to fox me with how they go about it.  Apart from KB ads in US.  Those are good, clear and consistent.  But elsewhere?  Hard to fathom.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

LivingMetal said:

Is it just me or have you noticed that SONY 1st and 2nd party games seem to have VERY good legs considering that fact that the PS3 is STILL the most expensive console as its entry price and still being in third place?

And they tend to sell better than Xbox "1st" parties and some "2nd" (not the FPS ones of course)

And the 1st and 2nd do really well compared to multi-plats... the power of dedication... even more when we compare FW and LTD for the 3 cases... 1st and 2nd are much more LEGgggggggggggzzzz and 3nd usually are Front Loaded.

hallowedbeeddie said:
Antabus said:

Cool, HD marketshare went up by 0.1%.

this would make more sense to me if both consoles were made by the same manufacturer. It´s just like if we combined wii and 360 sales (either the hardware or the casual games they might have) and compared them to ps3.

it´s not like microsoft and sony are together in a crusade to get marketshare from wii. Each manufacturer cares only about themselves.

(Sorry if it somehow sounds rude)

360 and PS3 share a lot of multiplatforms which aren't available on wii. I like those multiplatforms more than anything on wii.

So, HD consoles gaining marketshare makes me happy.

Reasonable said:
DonFerrari said:
Reasonable said:

Funnily enough I've finally seen some adverts in UK post launch.  I wonder if Sony has decided to let it launch relatively quietly (from a marketing viewpoint)  then spend the money to try and double dip for Christmas in EMEA by using post launch marketing coupled with gift purchasing to drive a second spike.

I mean, GT5 should still see good sales in EMEA until 25th, but it does feel like the marketing push is only beginning now rather than prior to launch.

I can never make head nor tail of Sony marketing strategies TBH.  They always seem to fox me with how they go about it.  Apart from KB ads in US.  Those are good, clear and consistent.  But elsewhere?  Hard to fathom.

I think they randomizely choose which game will be advertised in launching or after... this is how i can explain GT5 not having none and MNR having long before (maybe because is a new IP based on the sucess of LBP).

KB in US just the week before and Pre-order really staled i can see with WW advertising it rising and maybe being flat over the Holiday selling just a little lower than FW (with th normal fall expected), perhaps hitting 5M WW to the end of the year, 8M 2011 and 10~12M LTD depending on how long take to GT6 launch and bundles.