By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Metallicube said:

Wait, I thought the Wii was supposed to have a pricecut THIS holiday, otherwise it was going to be in trouble? That's what some people here said anyway...

Nintendo could be fine the middle of next year if they release Zelda at the right time. I think the best time would be in the spring, then Nintendo should be able to ride out a long period of next year without a price cut. And there is also the wildcard of the Vitality Sensor. If Nintendo releases that and it becomes a smash success, Nintendo absolutely does not need a price cut for another year, but if it is the next Wii Music, then perhaps they should.

Well Black Friday week in US the Wii had the best deals.  Friday and Saturday for instance Best Buy had all Wii bundles for $169.99.  On Friday when I walked into Best Buy they had stacks of all 3 colors lining your path other retailers had great deals and they had ample supply.  It will be interesting to watch the remainder of the season to see how front loaded each console was during Black Friday week as well as the regularity of special deals.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
mhsillen said:
Raze said:

There's a number of reasons.

1 - Zelda has a MUCH bigger fanbase than GT games, Zelda has been around a lot longer, covers many gaming generations.

2 - The racing genre has been dying. People want more out of their games, you can only do so much customization in a game. The rest is all making turns and trying not to crash. Its becoming a smaller and smaller niche market. Thus why you don't really see many developers making racing games anymore.

3 - Link as an IP is among the top 10 in videogame history. GT doesn't really have a specific character that draws people in. The Zelda IP and the character Link are sort of like a book or tv series - you want to know what adventures the main character is going to go on next.

4 - Zelda games are very popular across both sexes, where there traditionally is a small amount of females into racing games.

As for why the full year? The game releases in Japan in Jan/Feb barring any delays. Releases in March in the US. Sales will stay afloat a few months, with a natural summertime lull, and then the demand will be very big once again come holidays 2011, so June-Sept might be a bit slow, common for the overall market. Yet the initial Zelda demand will get those hardcore Zelda fans who havent yet got a Wii (yes, they exist, surprisingly!) out to get their "official" Zelda Wii game.

Not a specific character but it has a lot of characters:

Lots and lots of cars 

True, but so does Forza, Need for Speed (whatever number theyre up to, etc)... Plus cars are a niche market. Not everyone is that into cars as some are. Its an enthusiast market. I'd equate it to wrestling games. You have to be in that particular niche market in order to want another game that is just an enhanced version of the prior.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Mr.Metralha said:
Raze said:

I dont disagree that it might be down YoY, my point is that it'll still have enough spark to win the holiday sales battle over the HD systems again next year. Come 2012, all 3 will be drastically down, as I fully suspect new home systems to be announced in 2012 for the 3 companies. I just feel that of the 3 Nintendo still has that one more big push (Zelda), where I feel that the HD systems have already thrown their full arsenal into the arena already.

I believe GTA5 will be out this gen for HD consoles and PC. Despite not being properly a 1st party exclusive, it is an important title.

If its not been announced yet as in development, you're going to need 2 years from announcement beofre you see it. So it wouldnt hit till 2013, when the new consoles launch. I could see them making it a launch title for next gen at that point. Of course, this is just opinion.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Like I said  before... first adjustments.

X360: 844,582
PS3: 838,561

More some adjustments and PS3 WON the Black Friday week.

ah oh,keep going

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Like I said  before... first adjustments.

X360: 844,582
PS3: 838,561

More some adjustments and PS3 WON the Black Friday week.

umm...maybe not