By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Immortal said:
Squilliam said:

Ok, the Wii has had a 20% cut with the addition of $50 worth of games and hardware.

The Xbox 360 Arcade has had a 33% cut with the addition of memory and networking with an extra year on market.

The Xbox 360 Premium model has had a 25% cut with the addition of memory and networking with an extra year on market.

The PS3 has had a 50% cut with the addition of memory.

It is hard to really state definitively that the Wii isn't in the same ballpark for value / price adjustments.

I hope you're not trying to compare the PS3 to the Wii 'cause a 50% price cut is much higher than 20% price cut, not to mention the Slim. The 360 you could argue is comparable, but percentages can really be used for spins, :P. A 100$ price cut, two different models and a Slim redesign. I don't think that can be compared to a 50$ price cut and 50$ of games. Besides, Wii's been in the black since its launch and it therefore can most likely spew out more price cuts, which was really my main point.

Im not saying the PS3 hasn't had the steepest price cuts. All im saying is that whilst the Wii has had colours, increased bundles and a singular price cut it isn't so far removed from the Xbox 360 and PS3 as to say that it has hardly had any price adjustments and SKU modifications to not be within the same ballpark.

As for price cuts:

The Xbox 360 could easily be cut in price whilst remaining profitable, the same as the Wii. Also given the fact that the U.S. dollar is tied to the Chinese commie dollar (forgot name!) they have the best of both worlds whilst the U.S. dollar is weak.

Tease.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Kenology said:

Now people are so pissed about these Wii numbers that they're predicting doom for Wii next year - since it's apparently been postponed. 

A dream deferred, I guess.

I don't even know what doomed means anymore, but Wii will have a good xmas next year with a price cut, so could well be on par with this xmas.

In the middle of the year though .. that's a different story. If it doesn't get a price cut until next September ... get ready for a dozen or two, under 100k weeks.

Wait, I thought the Wii was supposed to have a pricecut THIS holiday, otherwise it was going to be in trouble? That's what some people here said anyway...

Nintendo could be fine the middle of next year if they release Zelda at the right time. I think the best time would be in the spring, then Nintendo should be able to ride out a long period of next year without a price cut. And there is also the wildcard of the Vitality Sensor. If Nintendo releases that and it becomes a smash success, Nintendo absolutely does not need a price cut for another year, but if it is the next Wii Music, then perhaps they should.

Squilliam said:
Immortal said:
Squilliam said:

Ok, the Wii has had a 20% cut with the addition of $50 worth of games and hardware.

The Xbox 360 Arcade has had a 33% cut with the addition of memory and networking with an extra year on market.

The Xbox 360 Premium model has had a 25% cut with the addition of memory and networking with an extra year on market.

The PS3 has had a 50% cut with the addition of memory.

It is hard to really state definitively that the Wii isn't in the same ballpark for value / price adjustments.

I hope you're not trying to compare the PS3 to the Wii 'cause a 50% price cut is much higher than 20% price cut, not to mention the Slim. The 360 you could argue is comparable, but percentages can really be used for spins, :P. A 100$ price cut, two different models and a Slim redesign. I don't think that can be compared to a 50$ price cut and 50$ of games. Besides, Wii's been in the black since its launch and it therefore can most likely spew out more price cuts, which was really my main point.

Im not saying the PS3 hasn't had the steepest price cuts. All im saying is that whilst the Wii has had colours, increased bundles and a singular price cut it isn't so far removed from the Xbox 360 and PS3 as to say that it has hardly had any price adjustments and SKU modifications to not be within the same ballpark.

As for price cuts:

The Xbox 360 could easily be cut in price whilst remaining profitable, the same as the Wii. Also given the fact that the U.S. dollar is tied to the Chinese commie dollar (forgot name!) they have the best of both worlds whilst the U.S. dollar is weak.

The PS3 I don't think can be considered in the same ballpark. 300$ is so much bigger of a price cut than 50$ that you could've bought a Wii at launch with the difference (except on e-bay, :P). I can agree with you on the 360, though.

Anyway, if the Yen becomes a really huge problem over the long term, Nintendo will likely do something about it eventually. Like maybe relocate to China, xD. Isn't the Japanese government trying to improve things though?

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Metallicube said:
Seece said:
Kenology said:

Now people are so pissed about these Wii numbers that they're predicting doom for Wii next year - since it's apparently been postponed. 

I don't even know what doomed means anymore, but Wii will have a good xmas next year with a price cut, so could well be on par with this xmas.

In the middle of the year though .. that's a different story. If it doesn't get a price cut until next September ... get ready for a dozen or two, under 100k weeks.

Wait, I thought the Wii was supposed to have a pricecut THIS holiday, otherwise it was going to be in trouble? That's what some people here said anyway...

Nintendo could be fine the middle of next year if they release Zelda at the right time. I think the best time would be in the spring, then Nintendo should be able to ride out a long period of next year without a price cut. And there is also the wildcard of the Vitality Sensor. If Nintendo releases that and it becomes a smash success, Nintendo absolutely does not need a price cut for another year, but if it is the next Wii Music, then perhaps they should.

Well, not me (to my knowledge anyway)

If Wii is always going to do well in holidays then sales in the year don't matter too much, but no Zelda will not keep sales afloat next year, Q1 will be fine, but around june if there isn't a price cut sales should be dipping YoY, I mean they were THIS year ... and it was $50 cheaper than the same point in time year before ..

Nintendo doesn't need the Wii next year. It will be the year of the 3ds. That's where Nintendo will put its focus.

The DS has been Nintendo's money making machine, not the Wii. The Wii was just a nice bonus. If the 3ds can perform like the DS, then Nintendo will have overflowing money to create the Wii's successor.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

Xb..east 360! Wow

GT5 did good. I will buy it when price drops.. Not sure if its the real driving simulator i need, online and Racing Wheel can save it? Let se next spring.

Immortal said:
Kenology said:

They will be right eventually so we better prepare to eat crow in 2013, :O.

Eventually Wii will stop selling sometime in 2015 or so, then the Wii haters can all cheer, while the Nintendo Uss dominates the charts

Bagaren85 said:

Xb..east 360! Wow

GT5 did good. I will buy it when price drops.. Not sure if its the real driving simulator i need, online and Racing Wheel can save it? Let se next spring.

Save it? ...

I was expecting for GOW 3 to sell better, even the GOW collection sold more...I think that is weird.

Kenology said:

Its a yearly event, wouldn't be the holidays without the WiiNes envy