Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 sells 1.8m in two days WW

Capulous said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Capulous said:
Capulous said:
thismeintiel said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong as I don't live in the US but Thursday was Thanksgiving right? Are the shops normally open that day? I assumed they closed. My point being that are these numbers not 2 days EMEAA and 1 day US/Japan or have I got that wrong?

That's a good point.  I know Wal-Mart is open, but closes pretty early.  Other than that, I think most retail stores are closed.  This means that those sales would be held off til Black Friday, which would have given GT5 a nice boost without that fact.  So yea, technically it's 2 days in EMEAA, and only 1 day in US/Japan.

Sears, Kmart, Toyrus all opened on Thursday; I do not believe it was the whole day though. Online retailers still took orders as well. Only the US had a holiday, the rest of Americas did not. So it is correct stating that it is 2 days sale in the Americas.

Vgchartz does not track online sales and Toysrus was open for 2 hours (10pm) for blackfriday door busters.... and who the fuck goes to sears?

And again... How many people are wandering around looking for a game when almost the whole nation is shut down having dinner with their family?

Plenty of people go to Sears or it would have gone out of business a long time ago. You seem to be taking this personally for some reason.

Sales are ridiculous this time of year. Plenty of people go out shopping. If you didn't know, people start lining up the day before Black Friday just to get at those sales, and some even earlier than that.

LOL... ok, you don't know what your talking about. No, sales before thanksgiving aren't ridiculous. It isnt till black friday that they get insane. Stores are like ghost towns on thanksgiving. Everyone is having dinner with family. The country is basically closed down for that day. I have sales numbers if youd like? Last weekend my store did 30k before 1 o'clock on saturday ending with 60k. Today 50k before 1 o clock going on to 100k. Yesterday 400k. Last friday 40k.

Actually all I said was sales are ridiculous this time of year and just mentioned how people start lining up before Black Friday for these sales. There were also plenty of sales online and offline leading up to Black Friday.

The country is not closed down for the day. People still work, people still go out, and everyone is not having dinner with their families for 24 hrs. Stores were opened, items were sold, how much effect if had on GT5 sales, I have no idea. But the point is those stores were opened and sales were made. Still not sure why you are trying to argue this point.

And of course the weekend of Black Friday will have huge sales, that is a given.  And making claims and giving me random numbers for a store means absolutely nothing.  The store you work at apparently was not opened Thanksgiving day, so you have no sales numbers to compare for that day.

the store I work at was NOT open thanksgiving. Yet it is still bigger than toysrus, sears, and kmart....

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

First possible day one sales Limited PS3 Titanium Blue in Japan.

I translated by google but I don't speak japonese after all.

http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-614.html

Edit - Here the news in English (same japonese source): http://thesilentchief.com/2010/11/27/possible-day-one-sales-of-the-gt5-bundle-in-japan/

he just said he's store sold 40 units GT5
and it's not PS3 bundle

the store I work at was NOT open thanksgiving. Yet it is still bigger than toysrus, sears, and kmart....

So the one store you work at is bigger than all the Sears, Kmart, Toy r Us, and whatever other stores were opened on Thanksgiving. Ok...What is your point?

CGI-Quality said:
libellule said:
CGI-Quality said:
heruamon said:

So, this was expected number

With the full first week, it'll blow bast most predictions of 2 mill. So, it's actually doing better than expected, without Black Friday.

it may even outsold GT4 rigth ?

GT4 is 11 mill. Not impossible, but I can't call that just yet. We'll keep an eye on the legs.

Seeing how userbase isn't affecting sales of first party in a bad way I could see 11 million being possible.

Capulous said:

So the one store you work at is bigger than all the Sears, Kmart, Toy r Us, and whatever other stores were opened on Thanksgiving. Ok...

No. Target > Best buy > Sears Kmart >>>>>>>> Toys R Us. (22 billion dollars seperates Target from Sears)

Sears Company (which includes K-mart btw) isn't that big of a retailer. I bet gamestop > sears when it comes to games.

Youre acting like thanksgiving is a major shopping day when its not. Most people wait till BF to do their shopping and the big players in electronics are closed down. And you are wrong if you think thanksgiving is a very active day. The shops that are open are slow and the streets aren't nearly as busy as usual with most people just commuting to their relatives.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
libellule said:
CGI-Quality said:
heruamon said:

So, this was expected number

With the full first week, it'll blow bast most predictions of 2 mill. So, it's actually doing better than expected, without Black Friday.

it may even outsold GT4 rigth ?

GT4 is 11 mill. Not impossible, but I can't call that just yet. We'll keep an eye on the legs.

no, I meant "first week" sales

also, I m not expecting 11M LTD
10M LTD is a max IMO

Time to Work !

Capulous said:

So the one store you work at is bigger than all the Sears, Kmart, Toy r Us, and whatever other stores were opened on Thanksgiving. Ok...

No. Target > Best buy > Sears.

Sears Company (which includes K-mart btw) isn't that big of a retailer. I bet gamestop > sears when it comes to games.

Youre acting like thanksgiving is a major shopping day when its not. Most people wait till BF to do their shopping and the big players in electronics are closed down. And you are wrong if you think thanksgiving is a very active day. The shops that are open are slow and the streets aren't nearly as busy as usual with most people just commuting to their relatives.

Nothing you are saying even supports your argument. I never acted like anything. I stated that online retailers took orders and some B&M stores were open so it is a sales day. You disagree with that, yet fail to provide anything to support your argument. It's as simply as that. It doesn't matter the size of the store. There are plenty of Sears, Kmart, and ToyrUs stores across the US.

Capulous said:
Capulous said:

Nothing you are saying even supports your argument. I never acted like anything. I stated that online retailers took orders and some B&M stores were open so it is a sales day. You disagree with that, yet fail to provide anything to support your argument. It's as simply as that. It doesn't matter the size of the store. There are hundreds of Sears, Kmart, and ToyrUs stores across the US.

And vgchartz doesnt track online sales. and toys r us was not opened... which doesnt matter cause gamestop is bigger than toys r us and so is best buy which werent opened either... and sears and k-mart are the same company... in order for your point to be valid you need to show proof that thanksgiving is a big shopping day...

DAYUM!!! awesome opening!!! can't wait to see the full week sales along with GT5's and BF effect on PS3 HW

Capulous said:
Capulous said:

Nothing you are saying even supports your argument. I never acted like anything. I stated that online retailers took orders and some B&M stores were open so it is a sales day. You disagree with that, yet fail to provide anything to support your argument. It's as simply as that. It doesn't matter the size of the store. There are hundreds of Sears, Kmart, and ToyrUs stores across the US.

And vgchartz doesnt track online sales. and toys r us was not opened... which doesnt matter cause gamestop is bigger than toys r us and so is best buy which werent opened either... and sears and k-mart are the same company... in order for your point to be valid you need to show proof that thanksgiving is a big shopping day...

No, it is valid because stores were open and items were sold. That makes it a sales day. ToyrUs was opened, you even stated that yourself earlier in the thread. The size of the store does not matter at the least, neither does the amount of sales are done on that day. Along with that, Americas is not only the US, so there were sales in other countries as well.

Also, gamestop does more games sales than a lot of stores. So what does that have to do with it?