By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 More Graphically Advanced Then Forza 3

I think both games look terrific.  But there is something in GT that makes me like it more than Forza.

Although the graphics aren't that huge a leap over any other games of the same kind (even though it does achieve a lot of things on a technical point of view that other racers don't, even if they're not necessarily notceable right away to the naked eye) , the way it mimics reality with accurate colors, intricate lighting, the sheer beauty and accuracy of its cars, the way the game feels very sober, very "gentleman focused" (for lack of a better "expression".  There is definitely a unique feel to that series that I really enjoy) are all things that make me go back to the series.

Forza 3 have really good graphics as well, but the game feels more arcadey, and the graphics don't look as realistic to me.  Mostly because the team behind the game relied a bit too much on vivid colors and they overdid the texture work a bit.  The landscape sometimes reminds me more of Daytona USA than a game supposed to be a sim (just look at those rocky palissades in some of the race tracks to see what I mean). And the lighting certainly isn't as intricate as the one found in GT.  Performance wise, it runs flawlessly, butter smooth as they say, and the game does look awesome in the end. 

Maybe I'm just more used to the GT feel, which makes me seek it insimilar games.

I'm only talking about the look and feel of the games here.  As far as gameplay goes, I haven't spent enough time with Forza 3 to form a definitive opinion of it. 

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
kowenicki said:

didnt you read this bit?

Conclusion: There’s no doubt that Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3 are beautiful looking racing games, but quite honestly we were expecting a little more from Gran Turismo 5 in the performance department. Not only did Gran Turismo 5 constantly fall below the 60 FPS mark, there was quite a bit of noticeable screen tearing occurring throughout. While Gran Turismo 5 may have a slight visual advantage over Forza 3, our analyzer proves that Forza 3 out performed Gran Turismo 5 in almost every video we captured. Lets hope Sony releases a performance patch in the near future, but Sony please don’t make us wait too long…

the 22% of torn frames on average for GT5 is shocking... not very "advanced" either

"polish"?

far as im aware the human eye cant detect a differance past about 35 fps so who cares ^^

Most PC gamers will confirm that this isn't true... If my framerate goes under 40 in a PC game, I feel like slaughtering kittens.

Wow thats kinda weird O_O as far as im aware (asin what i have been taught over the years) the eye captures 35 images a second-ish (though it does obviously vary person to person). games like ffxiii ran at 3fps and if you thought that was a bad looking game u where blind ^^ also i am a PC gamer XD i just Havant bothers to upload all my games,. I have a wii as well but got bored of searching for each game adding, repeat etc. I may or may not have as good a gaming PC as u but it certainly does everything iv ever wanted it 2 ^^

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

ultraslick said:

GT5 looks sooo much better than Forza. With something like sim racers where both games look so beutiful, it takes some time with both games to conclude that GT5 seriously without question 100% fucking dominates Forza.

I dont understand why there are so many people who seem to want to detract from GT5.

I played for about 10 hours straight with friends yesterday with the G25 wheel, and it is safe to say that we all witnessed the equivilence of christ coming through the tv into our faces..  no joke.

We ALL agreed at 5am that the game was not only better than any racer but also without question better than any game ever.. period. (nothing comes remotely close)

we had the racing rig very close to the tv all running 1080p with super loud surround. after a while, the person driving would use surround headphones and when all of that was happening, your peripheral vision outside of the tv screen seriously melted away and you actually fucking feel like you are really racing.

Like a simulation.

Go to photo mode, and then tell me that Forza has anything comparable in the Glory that is GT5.

detractors will say,.. but but screen tearing calibration % while nervously sweating to prove some negative evil fanboy shit. Im tired of it! STFU already, play it, love it.

Back to Christ... I mean GT5.

Indeed

Sorry for posting twice.

By the way, about the frame rate nonsense. 

Another advantage of high frame rate is also your input devices being updated correctly. I'm not sure how they are handling it but anyway if you really want smooth input you need to get a frame rate as close to 60 as you can.

But I dont really know if thats a big difference outside of fighting games.

You gotta give the edge to Forza3, Its just amazing how they deliver such Quality in a shorter amount of time!!!

Around the Network
ConnorJCP said:

i never said it was 1920x1080 i said it was 1080p, which i ment as 1280x1080.

I must be out of the loop on resolution. Since when is 1080P means 1280x1080?

My 2 cents:

Been playing GT5 for some hours on a 37" Samsung. The framerate drops do happen abit, but they're minor really. They're noticeable if you're paying attention, but I dont think they're bad enough to distract a focused driver.

In this case, it all depends on standards really. Some will complain, some won't. Personally, I think it's nothing major. Framerate drops like the ones you see in Black Ops are far more worse/annoying.

As for screen tearing, it's there and you can see it but for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me too much. Again, it really depends on standards/tastes. Now if you were dumb enough to believe the game would look as good as it did in the massive barrage of bullshots, then yes, you'll be disappointed. If you used common sense, you'd know a bullshot the second you see it and wouldn't have such high expectations of the game's actual visuals.

There's tons of placebo-effect involved and your mind will probably be playing tricks on you without you even knowing it.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

ConnorJCP said:
Squilliam said:

The other funny thing is that this was supposed to be a game which showed how much more powerful the PS3 was etc. I guess the multiplat developers who said they were around even consider this even more external proof of what they already knew.

I dont remember many people saying it was showing how powerful the ps3 was, just how much blu-ray discs help. 
Its more uncharted 2 that shows of what PS3 is capable of.

I remember plenty of people on this sight claiming GT5 would be the best looking game ever made on consoles.

ultraslick said:

GT5 looks sooo much better than Forza. With something like sim racers where both games look so beutiful, it takes some time with both games to conclude that GT5 seriously without question 100% fucking dominates Forza.

I dont understand why there are so many people who seem to want to detract from GT5.

I played for about 10 hours straight with friends yesterday with the G25 wheel, and it is safe to say that we all witnessed the equivilence of christ coming through the tv into our faces..  no joke.

We ALL agreed at 5am that the game was not only better than any racer but also without question better than any game ever.. period. (nothing comes remotely close)

we had the racing rig very close to the tv all running 1080p with super loud surround. after a while, the person driving would use surround headphones and when all of that was happening, your peripheral vision outside of the tv screen seriously melted away and you actually fucking feel like you are really racing.

Like a simulation.

Go to photo mode, and then tell me that Forza has anything comparable in the Glory that is GT5.

detractors will say,.. but but screen tearing calibration % while nervously sweating to prove some negative evil fanboy shit. Im tired of it! STFU already, play it, love it.

Back to Christ... I mean GT5.

Take off the Sony goggles

kowenicki said:
Squilliam said:

Its not as much as we had been lead to believe by the photomode screen shots. Marketing has a lot to answer for with GT5 and expectation management.

correct.  that endless stream of  "in game" grabs and "screen shots" was extremely mis leading.

This is always the same when games come out, I still remember being skeptical to the "Oblivion" promo shots that were supposedly in-game and not touched up. Got myself a crazy rig and cranked everything up to max, lo and behold; it looked nothing like the promo shots.

It is indeed true that GT5 does not look like most of the promo shots, it still looks pretty damn good and certainly better than any other racing game I ever played on consoles.