By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 More Graphically Advanced Then Forza 3

I think they both look really nice. I might pick up Forza for Xmas though, seeing as now the Ultimate Edition is out for a great price!

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network

On the PC especially racing sim  I will take 1080p over 720p any day if it only cost me an average of 3 fps and still in the 50-60 fps range.  (I choose Dx11 over DX9 in F1 2010 and it cost me 10 fps) Screen tearing is less noticeable when framerate is as high as 50 fps since your brain has no problem smooth out the image. I didn't see anyone complain about all the tearing until this article. If Gt5 was running an average of 30 fps the tearing would be a lot more noticeable. 

1280X 1080p is still 1080p as the vertical lines are more important in a sim. That's because you are  often looking down the track and more vertical lines means more information at the horizon. Of course if you don't have a 1080p montior/HDTV it's not going to help you.

dsgrue3 said:

So you're suggesting 48 fps is an issue? Interesting, as movies at the theater are run at 24 fps. Do you complain about that?

No... he is saying the sudden drop is what the issue is v_v

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsgrue3 said:
Hynad said:
dsgrue3 said:

I don't have the game yet, so I have little to contribute at this point. It should arrive within the next few days. However...on the 20% frame drop. 60 fps * 20% loss = 48 fps...the human eye can't detect faster than 24 fps...so this is a non-issue.

The human eye may or may not be able to process all the images per second shot at him (which is much higher than your reported 24), but it can easily spot the drops of smoothness when something goes from 60 to 45-50.

So you're suggesting 48 fps is an issue? Interesting, as movies at the theater are run at 24 fps. Do you complain about that?

Movies has motion blur. If a light blinked off and on 24 times a second you would clearly notice it.

Smidlee said:
dsgrue3 said:
Hynad said:
dsgrue3 said:

I don't have the game yet, so I have little to contribute at this point. It should arrive within the next few days. However...on the 20% frame drop. 60 fps * 20% loss = 48 fps...the human eye can't detect faster than 24 fps...so this is a non-issue.

The human eye may or may not be able to process all the images per second shot at him (which is much higher than your reported 24), but it can easily spot the drops of smoothness when something goes from 60 to 45-50.

Movies has motion blur. If a light blinked off and on 24 times a second you would clearly notice it.

A light blinking on and off is an entirely different thing, as you need light to see ANYTHING besides darkness. Also 12 is the magic number here, NOT 24. If you had read my posts, you would realize that.

As to the 12 dropped per second, unless they are consecutely dropped, I doubt it's very noticeable.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Smidlee said:
dsgrue3 said:
Hynad said:
dsgrue3 said:

A light blinking on and off is an entirely different thing, as you need light to see ANYTHING besides darkness. Also 12 is the magic number here, NOT 24. If you had read my posts, you would realize that.

As to the 12 dropped per second, unless they are consecutely dropped, I doubt it's very noticeable.

Remember that you brain is wired to notice change. There are some online eye tricks to point this out. Still 60-48 fps is not as noticeable as 30- 18 fps so I agree it not "very" noticeable.

You were waiting for 5 years...5 YEARS to play this game. And now that you can, you're complaining and comparing to Forza and posting auto-compassion threads instead of playing. Why? If you like GT or Forza or anything else, just play it. Dont worry who is the best, just play.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

dsgrue3 said:
Hynad said:
dsgrue3 said:

You have completely missed the point, although I was pretty clear.

it doesn't matter if something runs at 24, 48 or 60 fps, what matters the most is that it remains constant.

It is the lack of smoothness in the framerate that your eyes notice the most.  Play a game locked at 30fps for 2 hours (something like Uncharted 2 or Zelda Wind Waker),then switch to a game that has a framerate locked at 60 (Forza 3 or WipEout HD), and you'll see the difference right away.  Now, if that change in frame rate were to occur while you're playing the same game, a drop of 12 frame per second for example will be noticeable just the same.  Maybe not game breaking, but you will notice it. 

I've been playing GT 5 since launch and I do notice the dips here and there, although it's not a constant issue (not in every tracks or race conditions), I still notice it at times.  It doesn't bother me much though, as they're pretty minor drops here and there. 

What annoys me the most though is the screen tearing.  I do wonder if the performance patch that Yamauchi mentioned will address this.  The game is still extremely awesome to look at, and runs smoothly 90% of the time.  So, it's certainly not a game breaker, of course.

So, the conclusion now is that GT5 stinks and all copies should be burned?  Sheesh.  Is GT5 good enough or not?  I vote big YES here.  Who care about anything else?

richardhutnik said:

So, the conclusion now is that GT5 stinks and all copies should be burned?  Sheesh.  Is GT5 good enough or not?  I vote big YES here.  Who care about anything else?

I care! I need to win my bet and all that ;_;

Sig thanks to Saber! :D