By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 More Graphically Advanced Then Forza 3

on the FPS issue.. I concur that you definitely notice an FPS drop even if its between 2 high values.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

OOOPS! It looks like somebody can't read or can't do his maths or both. The article says "Gran Turismo 5  screen tore 20% more than Forza 3 did": this means that if, for example, F3 tears 5% of times, GT5 does it 6%. As a limit case, if F3 screen tearing were 0%, GT5 one would be 0% too.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself.

Clip 1:
Length of clip: 10887 frames
Average FPS of clip: 59.46
Percent of torn frames: 14.68
Clip 1:
Average FPS of clip: 59.90
Percent of torn frames: 0.06
Clip 2:
Length of clip: 13136 frames
Average FPS of clip: 55.98
Percent of torn frames: 22.41
Clip 2:
Average FPS of clip: 59.91
Percent of torn frames: 0.20
Clip 3:
Length of clip: 7542 frames
Average FPS of clip: 29.47
Percent of torn frames: 1.42
Clip 3:
Average FPS of clip: 29.93
Clip 4:
Length of clip: 19420 frames
Average FPS of clip: 55.69
Percent of torn frames: 20.57
Clip 4:
Average FPS of clip: 29.18
Percent of torn frames: 0.01
Global percent of torn frames: 22.04
Global average FPS: 52.69

Global percent of torn frames: 0.14
Global average FPS: 55.34

My fault, but usually when someone means what they meant, it should be worded in a different way. And if the global percent of torn frames for GT5 is calculated from those 4 clips, it's not exact, neither if it's an arithmetic mean nor if it's a weighted one. And it's wrong also excluding clip 3 that is heterogeneous from the others (different nominal frame rate, 30fps instead of 60), in this case the weighted mean is 19.65%, that is quite high, anyway.

Well, this takes me back to my starting point from a few posts before: neither PS3 nor XB360 are up to PC on racing sims. As expected they both fare better on arcade racers, although in that subgenre they are both slaughtered by Mario Kart.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I have both games and a good 1080p hd tv to compare on..

Gran turismo 5 looks better.... its as simple as that.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Sorry, adding empty posts because VGC doesn't let me edit the broken post,

so I can't edit away the links in sieanr's table that created problems

when I quoted it.

sieanr said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

OOOPS! It looks like somebody can't read or can't do his maths or both. The article says "Gran Turismo 5  screen tore 20% more than Forza 3 did": this means that if, for example, F3 tears 5% of times, GT5 does it 6%. As a limit case, if F3 screen tearing were 0%, GT5 one would be 0% too.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself.

Clip 1:
Average FPS of clip: 59.46
Percent of torn frames: 14.68
Clip 1:
Average FPS of clip: 59.90
Percent of torn frames: 0.06
Clip 2:
Average FPS of clip: 55.98
Percent of torn frames: 22.41
Clip 2:
Average FPS of clip: 59.91
Clip 3:
Average FPS of clip: 29.47
Percent of torn frames: 1.42
Clip 3:
Average FPS of clip: 29.93
Clip 4:
Average FPS of clip: 55.69
Percent of torn frames: 20.57
Clip 4:
Average FPS of clip: 29.18
Percent of torn frames: 0.01
Global percent of torn frames: 22.04
Global average FPS: 52.69

Global percent of torn frames: 0.14
Global average FPS: 55.34

Sorry, but the links inside the table broke the thread when I quoted them to reply and now VGC doesn't let me edit them out.

I'll answer again, hoping this time the answer isn't broken.

My fault about 20%, but they should have worded it differently, if they meant what they actually meant.

But their GT5 global percent of torn frames is wrong anyway, both if calculated as an arithmetic mean or a weighted one from the clips in the table, and also excluding Clip 3 that's heterogeneous from the others, as it was done with a 30fps setting instead of 60fps. Without it (that would better GT5 average a lot), global percent for GT5 would be ~19.65%, quite high anyway.

So I must revert to what I thought a few posts before, it looks like for racing sims neither PS3 nor XB360 are up to PC, while as expected they fare a lot better compared to it on arcade racers.