By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - xbox 360 outsold ps3 again

kirby007 said:
don't forget only first christmas ps3 in europe^^

And what exactly do you expecting for next Christmas in Europe? I 'm just curious.

Considering the next holiday will look like this:

£199/€299 PlayStation 3 40 GB + games such as Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken 6, Silent Hill 5, Resistance 2, The Getaway 3 + Resistance, MotorStorm, Uncharted, Ratchet, SingStar and Heavenly Sword in Platinum Edition.

On-topic: 360 win this week

Around the Network

People expect the price of the PS3 to continually plummet and reach 200 price point before either of the other consoles. The PS3 dropped in price so fast out of desperation, because if it was still 600 dollars it would be getting raped right now. The cost to produce them has dropped, but that doesn't change the fact they are losing money and dropped the price out of desperation. They sold an insurance division for billions to fund the price drop, they took out everything they could for the 40 gig to save pennies (and try to force people to buy PS3 games).

It's not getting another 100 dollar price drop any time even remotely soon. At some point they will balance market leadership with profits and decide it's smarter to stop selling them at a loss, and take their position in the market and make money. As soon as they get into a position that 3rd parties will be comfortable making games for them, and there is enough of an install base to buy those games, they will be happy. Being #1 doesn't mean jack if they lose billions in the process. They will start selling it a profit to make shareholders happy rather than drop the price another 100 dollars just to make fanboys happy.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
People expect the price of the PS3 to continually plummet and reach 200 price point before either of the other consoles. The PS3 dropped in price so fast out of desperation, because if it was still 600 dollars it would be getting raped right now. The cost to produce them has dropped, but that doesn't change the fact they are losing money and dropped the price out of desperation. They sold an insurance division for billions to fund the price drop, they took out everything they could for the 40 gig to save pennies (and try to force people to buy PS3 games).

It's not getting another 100 dollar price drop any time even remotely soon. At some point they will balance market leadership with profits and decide it's smarter to stop selling them at a loss, and take their position in the market and make money. As soon as they get into a position that 3rd parties will be comfortable making games for them, and there is enough of an install base to buy those games, they will be happy. Being #1 doesn't mean jack if they lose billions in the process. They will start selling it a profit to make shareholders happy rather than drop the price another 100 dollars just to make fanboys happy.

I wonder how many people were pissed when they found out about the price drops. I remember hating MS for dropping the Xbox $100 a month after I bought it.

Ps3 just can't win. Sooner or later, developers will tire of losing tens of millions of dollars on ps3 games and the console will slowly be phazed out.

"They sold an insurance division for billions to fund the price drop,"

bullshit. Yes they floated the insurance company. And yes they loose hundreds of millions on their gaming section. But Sony as a whole still made almost a billion profit 2007 so there is hardly a direct connection. For 3 billions they could give away 6-9 millions of PS3 for free. To summarize if you take the RRoD writeoff into account Sonys gaming division lost less than MS gaming division 2007.

Will they be able to drop prices faster than MS? They will have a small edge after all making and refining consumer electronics is Sonys main job. But in the end the three consoles will come together at a low price.

Around the Network

Good job 360. make me proud.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina