By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DFC Intelligence, the PlayStation 3 will surpass the Xbox 360 in worldwide

adsl said:

In 2011, for the 3 consoles I can't see any killer game to move millions of consoles, like NSMB Wii did last year, so the gap will increase or decrease based mainly on price drops.

Gears 3

Around the Network
mundus6 said:
adsl said:

In 2011, for the 3 consoles I can't see any killer game to move millions of consoles, like NSMB Wii did last year, so the gap will increase or decrease based mainly on price drops.

Gears 3

Gears of War is the one of the biggest exclusives franchisees onthe XBox and I'm sure Gears 3 will increase consoles sales. However, I don't it expect move 1 million consoles, maybe it can move 250k units because we already have another 2 Gears released for the the XBox. I'm using Halo Reach sales to make my prediction, it increased 360 sales but not at the same level of Halo 3 so I think we can apply the same rule to say that Gears 3 help the XBox, but not a lot.

mundus6 said:
adsl said:

Gears 3

Since Gears 2 didn't give a big boost, why would Gears 3?  We'll see about Kinect, but otherwise, I don't see anything from MS that will move consoles.  It will depend on whether or not the Kinect hype continues through 2011.

thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:

And yet they haven't really turned any significant profit inspite the fact that their market share and market penetration increased significantly. Beyond this having a high market share in a previous generation isn't so helpful once the next generation of consoles are released as proved by this one. Oh and Phill Harrison a former Sony SCE executive was the one I was basing the comments of a more expensive to develop next generation console, yours is just speculation unfortunately as you never see the entire picture from outside.

They haven't made significant profit because the PS3 has only recently become profitable by itself.  That, and Sony has quite a few other things on its plate besides consoles, most of which took a hit when the recession hit.  But what I'm saying is that next year, with little doubt, that the PS3 will remain profitable with a $50 cut.  Plus, I highly doubt that Sony is going to let the PS3 go over 2 years with no price cut.  Sony will cut next year, you can qoute me on that.

And Phil Harrison left Sony in Feb of '08, just 1 1/2 after the PS3 launched.  In other words, he probably knows little, if anything, of Sony's plans for the PS4.  So in the end, he's speculating just like I am.  And nice way to conclude I have my blinders on just because I see things a little different.  I'm just using common sense about what Sony can do to learn from its mistakes and have a good launch next gen.  Because if someone believes they haven't learned from the mistakes of the PS3, than they are being quite foolish.

They haven't made significant profit in general before the PS3 was even released. The whole idea of sacraficing profit for market share is a losing proposition and if they realise this then they won't cut the price. Microsoft let the Xbox 360 go for longer without a price cut and now they are actually posting both decent profit numbers and decent unit sales.

Phil Harrison was there long enough to account for the cost of the launch of the PS3 and knows all the costs which are associated. People just focus on the Cell processor as if it was the only thing they had to develop to get the PS3 into production without accounting for the numerous other expenses. Common sense dictates that he would know significantly more about what the major expenditures and costs and risks are with the launch of a new console than 99.99% of people whom would care to comment on the subject.

Tease.

rocketpig said:

I've said this since early 2007 and I still believe it:

By the time the PS3 passes the 360, it won't matter. Microsoft will be gearing up for their next console launch.

I'd like to know where all the people who trolled me for saying that are today... probably playing a 360 somewhere.

This time you can bet that Sony won't let them go first although

Around the Network
mundus6 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Salem said:

Their argument is based on software exclusives, which in itself is flawed, but id like to point out that microsoft usually doesn't reveal their exclusives untill a few months of their release.

Well, aside from Kinect titles, we knew what Xbox 360 exclusives were coming in 2010 before this year.

Not saying that the future looks bright for non Kinect Xbox 360 exclusives. Gears 2 was announced like 6 months before release, so they probably have at least 1 ace up there sleave for 2011, plus that Crytek game most likely comes in 2011. That said, Sony will most likely announce UC3, which imo weighs higher than any unnanouced 360 exclusive, except for a new Halo.

To be honest, give me PGR5 and a new core IP with potential for 2011, and I'm set on the core Xbox 360 side.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Sweep said:
rocketpig said:

By the time the PS3 passes the 360, it won't matter. Microsoft will be gearing up for their next console launch.

I'd like to know where all the people who trolled me for saying that are today... probably playing a 360 somewhere.

That actually makes his argument even more valid. If Sony is first, which console do you think people are gonna stop buying PS3 or Xbox 360?...

Probably next year.

The GAP now is near 3 million.

mundus6 said:
Sweep said:
rocketpig said:

That actually makes his argument even more valid. If Sony is first, which console do you think people are gonna stop buying PS3 or Xbox 360?...

Sony will not go first, but they will not let Microsoft get a 1 year advance. I say 6 months maximum.

If Sony was first we can expect both X360 and PS3 to stop selling

Sweep said:
mundus6 said:
Sweep said:
rocketpig said:

Sony will not go first, but they will not let Microsoft get a 1 year advance. I say 6 months maximum.

If Sony was first we can expect both X360 and PS3 to stop selling

You don't make sense at all, if PS4 comes out, it does not mean that PS3 will stop selling and it certainly does not mean that Xbox 360 will stop selling

Next gen will probably be overpriced at first, only to be profitable as well as still selling a lot of 360s and PS3s. Then when Xbox 360 and PS3 starts to get dated, the pricedrop will come to shift focus to the new systems.