By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DFC Intelligence, the PlayStation 3 will surpass the Xbox 360 in worldwide

mundus6 said:
Wagram said:
mundus6 said:

I don't see how, it will catch up more. But 4 million units? It has only caught up with 2.5million units or so, lifetime sales. Why would it sell 4 million units more next year? When it only managed 2.5 in 4 years... Prediction, by years end 2011, probably still 3 million ahead for Xbox 360, both will be over 50 million though.

I'm not saying it will outsell it next year. The 360 is going to be off the market faster and it will finish off its gap then. I was just stating a point that from TIME OF LAUNCH for EACH console SEPERATELY the PS3 is WINNING.

I was replying to the first post not yours, which says it will outsell it in the next year according to DFC Intelligence. Which i sincerely doubt since again, 4 million units more, i would be suprised if it sold 2 million units more.

You have to remember, though, they are going by consoles shipped.  And according to last quarter's financial reports, the PS3 was only behind by 3 million units.  This means that it closed the gap by ~ 5 million units in a little over a year.  I think the PS3 will definitely out sell the 360 by the end of next year, especially with its inevitable price cut next year of $50 or $100.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

You have to remember, though, they are going by consoles shipped.  And according to last quarter's financial reports, the PS3 was only behind by 3 million units.  This means that it closed the gap by ~ 5 million units in a little over a year.  I think the PS3 will definitely out sell the 360 by the end of next year, especially with its inevitable price cut next year of $50 or $100.

The two bolded points don't make sense. You claim to have read the financial reports and yet you claim it is inevitable that Sony would cut the price on the PS3? IIRC Microsoft EDD made more money in the last quarter than SCE has made in all profitable quarters combined since the PS3 released.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:

The two bolded points don't make sense. You claim to have read the financial reports and yet you claim it is inevitable that Sony would cut the price on the PS3? IIRC Microsoft EDD made more money in the last quarter than SCE has made in all profitable quarters combined since the PS3 released.

I know this response is kinda late, but oh well. 

I don't get your point.  So what if MS is making more?  Why would Sony make their decisions based on how much MS is making?  They are going to drop the PS3's price next year because it will be time to.  The PS3 has continued to drop in manufacturing cost.  So around this time next year, Sony will definitely still be making a profit if they cut to $249, the price I'm guessing they will most likely drop to.  So that's profit from every console, regardless of how little.  Plus, extra money pouring in from new game and Blu-ray movie sales.

thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:

I don't get your point.  So what if MS is making more?  Why would Sony make their decisions based on how much MS is making?  They are going to drop the PS3's price next year because it will be time to.  The PS3 has continued to drop in manufacturing cost.  So around this time next year, Sony will definitely still be making a profit if they cut to $249, the price I'm guessing they will most likely drop to.  So that's profit from every console, regardless of how little.  Plus, extra money pouring in from new game and Blu-ray movie sales.

With the dropping value of the dollar and Sony's very low (if not losses) margins on the PS3, they certainly don't have the same space as MS to make a price drop which is what I think the previous poster was trying to get across. MS could do a price drop sooner than Sony based on their statements. 

algorith said:
thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:

With the dropping value of the dollar and Sony's very low (if not losses) margins on the PS3, they certainly don't have the same space as MS to make a price drop which is what I think the previous poster was trying to get across. MS could do a price drop sooner than Sony based on their statements. 

Well, they have already confirmed they are making a profit on the PS3.  I think I remember it being somewhere in the double digits.  Either way, they will definitely be able to afford to cut it at least by $50 by holiday season of next year.  And MS will definitely counter with a drop of the Elite to $250, but any price drop at this point will be in Sony's favor, since it will be the first time the PS3 had a SKU that low.

Around the Network

Never seen such enthusiastic battle from both gamer and analyst side to predict a 2nd place on a gen...

I don't recall this happening back in the Gamecube and Xbox days...

And I think PS3 won't catch on the 360 anyway... People are counting the exclusives, but instead they should count the exclusives that can boost hardware and drive sales.

Someone will predict PS3 will outsell Xbox360 by the end of 2012 soon.

And another prediction by the end of 2013.  then 2014, and so on and on.

I'm sure someone will be correct sooner or later.  But by then, Xbox 720 will be 6m ahead of PS4

About the microsoft software line-up: Microsoft still needs to unveal his exclusives for the next year. That's the difference between MC and Sony. So I bet there will be good exclusives and don't forget the kinect boostin the 360 sales. And for all the people saying ps3 is catching up. WRONG, the last years ps3 was catching up. But look at the last 6months (VGC hardware table) and you'll see xbox has sold more units dan ps. This ain't gonna change this holiday's because of the holiday bundle ande kinect promotions. So the gap will stay at 4m

thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:

The whole point in releasing a product like the PS3 is to make money. Sony may or may not continue their market share at all reasonable costs mantra by continuing to offer lower priced products. Whether they would make a little profit anyway from cutting the price yet again is beside the point. Theres no point in making a console if they cannot make money from it and they certainly cannot justify releasing a PS4 with even higher development costs on the console end if they cannot turn a reasonable profit.

Tease.

PS3 may inch past the 360, but it will be by such a minisule amount and take so long to do it that it will hardly matter anymore, only for the Sony diehards so they can officially boast that their console of choice is "now in 2nd place!" It will be a few million ahead at best (I'm talking like Xbox to Gamecube differential), and it won't happen until MS and Sony are readying their next consoles anyway, or possibily even after they release them.