By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DFC Intelligence, the PlayStation 3 will surpass the Xbox 360 in worldwide

stopstopp said:
Salem said:

Their argument is based on software exclusives, which in itself is flawed, but id like to point out that microsoft usually doesn't reveal their exclusives untill a few months of their release.

That's nintendo.

Microsoft has small first party with announcements long ways before release.

Not true, they do have a small first party, but usually its within the same year that they announce exclusives.

What can I say, it makes me laugh.

Around the Network

The shipment number have gone from almost 9 million difference to under 3 million in a little over a year after the Slim was released.  There will be some stuff next year that will draw out the PS3 taking 2nd place.  I think that MS will have a price cut in spring, followed by Sony in the fall (probably both will be a modest $50 cut).  But, I think we will see Sony pull ahead in shipment numbers sometime next year.

I'm all for MS getting third place now with their current 1st party (lack thereof) strategy.  I really do hope they change their first party strategy so that I may want to buy one again.  They were doing much better at the beginning of this generation, IMO.

As many say, it won't matter at this point in terms of gaming.  Both consoles will end in a virtual tie.  I do think they will both close the gap with the Wii from 30m to 15m or even smaller because Nintendo will probably get their next console out earlier and the sales rate is declining so fast.  All in all, I think the 3 consoles will be a lot closer than people think at the end of the generation.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:

The whole point in releasing a product like the PS3 is to make money. Sony may or may not continue their market share at all reasonable costs mantra by continuing to offer lower priced products. Whether they would make a little profit anyway from cutting the price yet again is beside the point. Theres no point in making a console if they cannot make money from it and they certainly cannot justify releasing a PS4 with even higher development costs on the console end if they cannot turn a reasonable profit.

I think Sony has already come to the realisation that, as a whole, the PS3 will never be profitable.  Right now, they are going to try to just remain profitable from here on in and try to regain as much marketshare as possible.  As far as profits go, there are more ways than one to earn people's money, so Sony isn't just relying on HW being profitable for this.  The more consoles you sell, the more games and accessories you sell, which have a higher gap between manufacturing costs and MSRP than a console.  And having a larger marketshare this gen is only going to help their launch position next gen.

As far as the PS4 having a higher R&D cost, I highly doubt that.  Sony is most likely sticking with Blu-ray through the next gen, only this time using a 6x or 8x drive, so cost for the drives will be relatively low.  They are probably going to incorporate an evolved form of the Cell inside it, as well.  Which again, will mean less R&D since Sony spent a lot of money developing the Cell for the PS3.  In the end, this is going to make the PS4 a much cheaper to produce console.  I mean the only reason the PS3 cost so much was because Sony developed 2 brand new technologies for its release.  I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 released for only $400 off the bat.

And yet they haven't really turned any significant profit inspite the fact that their market share and market penetration increased significantly. Beyond this having a high market share in a previous generation isn't so helpful once the next generation of consoles are released as proved by this one. Oh and Phill Harrison a former Sony SCE executive was the one I was basing the comments of a more expensive to develop next generation console, yours is just speculation unfortunately as you never see the entire picture from outside.

Tease.

Salem said:
stopstopp said:
Salem said:

Their argument is based on software exclusives, which in itself is flawed, but id like to point out that microsoft usually doesn't reveal their exclusives untill a few months of their release.

That's nintendo.

Microsoft has small first party with announcements long ways before release.

Not true, they do have a small first party, but usually its within the same year that they announce exclusives.

I'd like to know what those are, since you say "usually" you mean more than half. Off the top of my head Halo 3, Wars, ODST, Reach, Fable 2, Fable 3, Gears of War 3, Crackdown 2, Kingdoms, Forza Kinect certainly weren't.

This is my dillema, i dont think sony and microsoft will release a new console when nintendo does, in 2012, or 2013. why?? because if nintendo releases a console more powerful than PS3 or 360, with blu ray, HD, online multiplayer. they will have to compete on the same price scale. i expect that it would be more expensive than the PS3 and 360, and nintendo dont sell HW at a loss. therefore i think the Wii 2  will follow the same trend and will be less powerful than both consoles.

thus i dont see microsoft and sony uping the threshold with new consoles, when cleary they've both lost this console war because the mass consumer dosent want to pay more money for consoles. the power theshold of the current consoles are more than enough for at least a few years. not to mention that neither have sold 50 mil units, and in light of previous consoles 50 mil units isnt quite the break through success either companies want imo.

and sony havent made much profit, but i dont think microsoft have made much profit either, thats why i think the price of kinect is so high, and why they're increasing the price of Live. not to mention the 360 has had some price cuts recently and i dont think its been cheap for microsoft either tbh. so imo these companies will be slugging it out for a while yet!!

Around the Network

ONLINE STOREa:=== = ( www.etradinglife.com )== ==

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

SOCCER JERSEY 16US

jordan shoes $32

=== = ( www.etradinglife.com )== ==

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

=== = ( www.etradinglife.com )== ==

In 2011, for the 3 consoles I can't see any killer game to move millions of consoles, like NSMB Wii did last year, so the gap will increase or decrease based mainly on price drops.

Makes sense compared after looking at the market share update.

Squilliam said:
thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:

The whole point in releasing a product like the PS3 is to make money. Sony may or may not continue their market share at all reasonable costs mantra by continuing to offer lower priced products. Whether they would make a little profit anyway from cutting the price yet again is beside the point. Theres no point in making a console if they cannot make money from it and they certainly cannot justify releasing a PS4 with even higher development costs on the console end if they cannot turn a reasonable profit.

I think Sony has already come to the realisation that, as a whole, the PS3 will never be profitable.  Right now, they are going to try to just remain profitable from here on in and try to regain as much marketshare as possible.  As far as profits go, there are more ways than one to earn people's money, so Sony isn't just relying on HW being profitable for this.  The more consoles you sell, the more games and accessories you sell, which have a higher gap between manufacturing costs and MSRP than a console.  And having a larger marketshare this gen is only going to help their launch position next gen.

As far as the PS4 having a higher R&D cost, I highly doubt that.  Sony is most likely sticking with Blu-ray through the next gen, only this time using a 6x or 8x drive, so cost for the drives will be relatively low.  They are probably going to incorporate an evolved form of the Cell inside it, as well.  Which again, will mean less R&D since Sony spent a lot of money developing the Cell for the PS3.  In the end, this is going to make the PS4 a much cheaper to produce console.  I mean the only reason the PS3 cost so much was because Sony developed 2 brand new technologies for its release.  I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 released for only $400 off the bat.

And yet they haven't really turned any significant profit inspite the fact that their market share and market penetration increased significantly. Beyond this having a high market share in a previous generation isn't so helpful once the next generation of consoles are released as proved by this one. Oh and Phill Harrison a former Sony SCE executive was the one I was basing the comments of a more expensive to develop next generation console, yours is just speculation unfortunately as you never see the entire picture from outside.

They haven't made significant profit because the PS3 has only recently become profitable by itself.  That, and Sony has quite a few other things on its plate besides consoles, most of which took a hit when the recession hit.  But what I'm saying is that next year, with little doubt, that the PS3 will remain profitable with a $50 cut.  Plus, I highly doubt that Sony is going to let the PS3 go over 2 years with no price cut.  Sony will cut next year, you can qoute me on that.

And Phil Harrison left Sony in Feb of '08, just 1 1/2 after the PS3 launched.  In other words, he probably knows little, if anything, of Sony's plans for the PS4.  So in the end, he's speculating just like I am.  And nice way to conclude I have my blinders on just because I see things a little different.  I'm just using common sense about what Sony can do to learn from its mistakes and have a good launch next gen.  Because if someone believes they haven't learned from the mistakes of the PS3, than they are being quite foolish.

huaxiong90 said:
Salem said:

Well, aside from Kinect titles, we knew what Xbox 360 exclusives were coming in 2010 before this year.

Not saying that the future looks bright for non Kinect Xbox 360 exclusives. Gears 2 was announced like 6 months before release, so they probably have at least 1 ace up there sleave for 2011, plus that Crytek game most likely comes in 2011. That said, Sony will most likely announce UC3, which imo weighs higher than any unnanouced 360 exclusive, except for a new Halo.