By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - North Korea fires artillery at a populated South Korean Island

Kasz216 said:

I think it sounds much too nice.

Even though they likely hate their government, i imagine the people see the south Koreans still as nothing more then brainwashed by the west.

As for the major problems being economic... I don't know how you see that as a lesser problem.

Economics trumps Religion everytime.

Both countries talk about reunification, they just both want to be the ones who're in government.  The Koreans on both sides see the peninsula as a whole as one country.

Not every countries economics are such a major issue though. Afghanistan for example had a rubbish economy both before and after the fall of the Taliban, it's not the fuel for a conflict or the major issue for the NATO forces. It's secondary to the religious and political issues.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

Even though they likely hate their government, i imagine the people see the south Koreans still as nothing more then brainwashed by the west.

As for the major problems being economic... I don't know how you see that as a lesser problem.

Both countries talk about reunification, they just both want to be the ones who're in government.  The Koreans on both sides see the peninsula as a whole as one country.

Not every countries economics are such a major issue though. Afghanistan for example had a rubbish economy both before and after the fall of the Taliban, it's not the fuel for a conflict or the major issue for the NATO forces. It's secondary to the religious and political issues.

Exactly.  North Korea citizens, even if they want to replace their leaders, want to save south korean citizens from the west's brainwashing.

Not be brainwashed themselves.

All an invasion would do would be prove everything their leaders were saying was true, and push the citizens towards them instead of away.

I cannot even fathom what the Orwellian reality of living in North Korea would be like. I hope with even ounce of me that they can be liberated from their oppression, but its such an impracticle situation for the west to resolve. Especially without the active support of China.

Not to mention that even if they were liberated we'd be dealing with a hugely brainwashed population that may take a long time to come around to the idea (though obviously I have no idea to what extent totalitarianism has affected the North Korean people), let alone the economic cost of creating a united Korea.

But it is something that needs to be accomplished at some point, no idea how though.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

Exactly.  North Korea citizens, even if they want to replace their leaders, want to save south korean citizens from the west's brainwashing.

All an invasion would do would be prove everything their leaders were saying was true, and push the citizens towards them instead of away.

By countries I meant governments, which in the South represents the people (as it's a democracy) but in the North only represents the governing elite. So whether the ordinary people want communism and the current regime is hard to tell, we only have the word of defectors and they clearly weren't fans of the regime (as they did their best to get away from it).

I'm not making an assumption either way as to whether the people of N.Korea have been brainwashed. In the end I don't think it will matter as the what they have been brainwashed to believe would only really work as long as they never see the truth wouldn't it?

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

By countries I meant governments, which in the South represents the people (as it's a democracy) but in the North only represents the governing elite. So whether the ordinary people want communism and the current regime is hard to tell, we only have the word of defectors and they clearly weren't fans of the regime (as they did their best to get away from it).

I'm not making an assumption either way as to whether the people of N.Korea have been brainwashed. In the end I don't think it will matter as the what they have been brainwashed to believe would only really work as long as they never see the truth wouldn't it?

Which I don't think they would.

I think it would take a full generation at least.

Keep in mind brainwashing is really just more a dramatic term then anything else.

I'd look towards Russia and how the legacy and thinking of the USSR is still around a lot today.

And how eastern europeon parties actually do have a lot of people who still sympathize with the USSR and now out but want back in.

The overwhelming thought was that as china grew economically it's people would get smarter and would break out of "China's" brainwashing and reject their government and demand democracy.  Including from Chinese activists.

Quite the opposite is true however.  If anything, it's led to more support.

Brainwashing becomes honest to goodness belief. 

Heck that was the founding pillar and belief of communism straight from Marx conception.

Around the Network

The best way to understand the situation is to follow old roman rule and ask "cui prodest"?

Cirio said:

they're the biggest threat to the world right now.

ORLY

outlawauron said:

If the druglords held a coup, established a vindictive ruler, acquired weapons that kill many people around the world, and in a position to start another giant war. I don't think people would be too surprised if China, or any other country for that matter, stepped in a bit to help in any way.

Looks like this thread is becoming one giant ORLY for me.

While North Korea is crazy.. South Korea was dumb having military exercises in the area..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

PDF said:

I agree with most your points but...

1.  Yes Russia and China have ties to North Korea but their leaders are sane.  No sane leader would provoke a World War.  Its not in their best interest.   China and Russia will let the USA pretty much due what ever they want and to some degree vice versa.  EX: Georgia, Tibet

2.  A war without ally help North Korea could conquer the south but it would not happen with US, and EU backing the South.  Yes there would be Massive casualties lost for the South but the North would never win.

3.  That is not true at all.  The US would have no need to start a draft.   The US controls the Air and Skies and thats all needed to keep the north from winning.  The USA has no interest in holding the North, like they did in Iraq.  They just have to stop the north.  Nato would play a very small role.

4. Israel can handle Iran alone.  Israel could handle Iran and Syria.   The world would be fine.

5. See other posts

1. Your right in most cases China and Russia and the US let each other do as they please. But in this case North Korea borders China and they are allies. If a war broke out without China's concent I doubt China would just let US forces walk up to its border. China does fear the US and does support North Korea. I think China might try to avoid direct conflict with the US and Nato but they would definatly support North Korea's military like Pakistan supported Afghanistans war against the Soviets. If the Chinese border became a battle ground I think China would move militarily into positions. Also this could cause North Korea's allies to also attack US allied states. As you pointed out Israel could probubly hold its own against Iran and Syria. Such a battle could cause other countries in South America,  North Africa and the Middle East to attack US allied states. This could trigger a war. Now maybe I was being abit drastic when I said WWIII but it has the potential to become a globalized war for sure.

2 and 3. The North could easily over power the South defences and occupy most if not all of the south in weeks. As for America controlling the skies and not needing to send boots on the ground. Thats really not optimal, North would probubly execute the majority of Southern politicians and troops. The government of South Korea would be forced under ground. Sure the US could start a massive bombing campaign but without troops on the ground they could not help the small South Korean Army retake ground. The North Korean Army would loot the South's armeries and bases and be better equiped very fast. What would the US just keep bombing Korea into oblivion once the North over takes the south? I doubt the world would stand idolly by while the US bombs the living crap out of North and South Korea.

Which leads me to the point, a military incursion would be nescessary in order for the South to win over the North, or even survive a massive Northern invasion. Thats 3.5 million troops crashing across the border heavily supported by long range weapons. Sure the US would crush those long range weapons in days but the South would still be over run. The US might resort to a Nuke but that also wouldn't be tollerated that well by the UN. The only way that South Korea could over take North Korea is if the US and Nato sent troops in. It would be a repeat of the Korean war.

Stopping the North would not resolve anything. They already stopped the North once before. They would need to secure the North or have South Korea secure the North. Or the North would just sit equip itself again and start yet another fight. Nato would want North Korea invaded and stopped for good this time. You could try to do it like with Japan where instead of a ground invasion you nuke them into submission, or bomb them into submission. A re-unification would have to occur or the war would never stop. North Korea needs to be occupied and re-unified with South Korea in order for the conflict to ever really end.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer