By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony cuts PSP Go's price twice in three weeks, will it save the platform?

why would anyone want a psp now that the 3ds is coming out? A price cut when the Go came out was the time to get a little more sales off the psp, not now. Way too late...for how old and outdated the psp is, it should be $99 by now. I can see it selling at that price...

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
WarmachineX said:

why would anyone want a psp now that the 3ds is coming out? A price cut when the Go came out was the time to get a little more sales off the psp, not now. Way too late...for how old and outdated the psp is, it should be $99 by now. I can see it selling at that price...

If the psp is outdated, the same should be said for the DS, even more so but yet there's less people clamouring to say that...what gives?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
WarmachineX said:

If the psp is outdated, the same should be said for the DS, even more so but yet there's less people clamouring to say that...what gives?

Traditionally Nintendo is outdated at time of release, so they don't care...

With the exception Seemingly the 3DS...which seems to pack a punch for a portable....but will be outpaced by technology fairly quickly, i imagine.

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

Ajescent said:
Kasz216 said:
Ajescent said:
Kasz216 said:
Ajescent said:
Vetteman94 said:
Ajescent said:
Vetteman94 said:

Its a shame this is fake,  it needs it.   I would buy one if they dropped the price in the US.  If they have a Black Friday deal for one at around what the other PSPs are going for I would wait in line for it on Black Friday.

The fact it's currently at over 60million disagrees with you.

I didnt realize the PSP Go was that big of a success.  I guess I should just buy one then and shut up and be like the other 60M people who got it

I always consider the pspgo as part of the psp family, regardless of what itteration it was, it's still a psp. The psp is not as bad/dead as people make out, games like  MGS peace walker, GoW: GoS, KH:BBS  prove that.

That's just... a silly point of view though.   Since you know, the PSP has clearly been a failure of a product expansion.

It'd be like if the DS XL bombed, nobody would claim the DS XL was doing great because the DS proper was lighting up the sales charts.

It's sort of like claiming that Metroid: Other M is selling great because NSMB Wii is selling great.

Not really, because MoM and NSMB are two completely different games whereas the 3k and the go aren't that different, in my opinion, it's the same thing as the Ps3 and the PS3slim or x360 and the x360s

and if the PS3 slim didn't sell well and the PS3 phat still sold well and was way outselling the PS3 slim.... the PS3 slim would be a failure.

But why count them seperately? Either way, the psp is selling, it offers an alternative, either way you are still buying a psp.

I'm defending the psp as a whole because it comes across as if some people (Not you persay) are using the Go as a back door to suggest that the whole psp name is a failure, it's not uncommon to see people who don't care think highly of Sony let alone the psp use it as a means to sling unnecessary insults at it, that's why I always say the psp family as a whole is doing well.

Additionally, VGchartz doesn't count the Go seperately (as far as I'm aware) therefore it is considered a part of the psp name so to count it on it's own is considered a low blow in my opinion.

Second additional points, I don't see many comments on how the DSI:XL/DS etc are doing whether it's good or bad but yet we get one of these much too often, I call nitpicking.

Last I heard the DS XL was selling good.  Not great, but it wasn't the disaster the analysts were calling it (and I was caling it, since like the PSP go it was silly expensive.)

Since it was doing well, but not amazing or poor it's not worth talking about.

Also to be fair, the PSP Go is a much bigger dynamic change then any of the above mentioned.

More similar to say, the Gameboy and the Gameboy color.  Or the Gameboy and the Micro Gameboy, in that the games themselves are somewhat delivered differently.

This was an attempt to get in on the ground floor at the digitial download level, but it didn't work despite digital download being huge.

The reason for it's failure is an important one to note, because it needs to be decided if it's a statement against the product itself, or against the market of digital distribution.

The first seems more likely due to the fact that things like Steam are growing exponetially.

Vanbierk said:
Ajescent said:
WarmachineX said:

With the exception Seemingly the 3DS...which seems to pack a punch for a portable....but will be outpaced by technology fairly quickly, i imagine.

That's my point though, why does everyone queue up to call the psp outdated when the DS is just as guilty and to add insult to injury, was out of date a lot sooner than the psp?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Ajescent said:
Vanbierk said:
Ajescent said:
WarmachineX said:

That's my point though, why does everyone queue up to call the psp outdated when the DS is just as guilty and to add insult to injury, was out of date a lot sooner than the psp?

To be fair, though I like it a lot more... the PSP FEELS a lot more out of date.

Touchscreen makes all the difference.

Though it's "out of dateness" is why I like the PSP.  It feels like having a portable PS1/PS2.

It felt out of date from the start, but a lot of people liked that.

The DS... just feels like the DS.

It being a reason people wouldn't but it... I don't buy.   People not buying a PSP go because of the PSP2.... or because a regular PSP is just a better buy though.... that I can see.

WarmachineX said:

Yeah, I would want a PSP. I've always wanted to play Lumines.

WarmachineX said:

since people are still buying it I think that should answer your own question, I don't know their names tho lol

to be fair, if psp feels outdated and should be 99, ds should be at least 50 cuz it feels way way way more outdated than the psp. Heck some games on the psp nowadays rival those of shown for the 3DS in quality.

and this is not shocking news really, they don't care too much about the Go now...they are just clearing things up for next year...I'm still thinking GDC for the PSP2..by then MH3P effect etc should have died down (PS which should show you some more people who would buy PSP's despite 3DS coming out btw)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

ROFLOL times 1000!

Above: still the best game of the year.