By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 beat Wii this week in NA

This is hardly even news compared to next week when the PS3 will start selling better than the Wii and 360 combined.

PS3 domination begins!

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
erikers said:

Does anyone realize the sales on 360 for the same week last year is 276k, HIGHER than this year? Is anybody crazy enough to believe it's going to sell less this year than last after seeing the last few months of sales?

This is a good question. It's hard to imagine considering how well the 360 has sold over the last few months.
How can it be selling worse than last year given the fact that it's cheaper now, comes with bundled games, and has five times as many AAA titles available? Maybe the numbers are off this week.

I can't imagine Wii sales are really that low either, even with a limited supply.  Even if sales did decline, 86k seems like too big of a drop.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Wow Nintendo is being hurt from the perspective of potential third party support by Wii shortages, they really need to get more production going or else they'll be in trouble.

Ps3 Software Sales confirm that the majority of people are buying it as a Blu-Ray player, not a video game console.

The 360 dominates with its availability and solid second year line up.

After the holidays though, the Wii is the only console I see maintaining any stamina as demand for the 360 and PS3 will be spent by the holiday buying and demand for the Wii will still be unmet.

gebx said:

Yep, I think all 3 systems are undertracked since Black Friday.

Looking at historical data, no system ever shows a dip after Black friday, so I really don't see how it suddenly happened to all 3 systems

If that is correct, the numbers could be REALLY off this week...

So, Nintendo has yet to produce enough Wii's after over a year on the market, and people expect them to double or even triple their production and sales next year?!
These predictions are making less and less sense indeed.

Around the Network

Unless the Wii is being severly undertracked, you are quite right mummlemann. The Wii has the best legs during slow periods but unless Nintendo can find a means to step up production this next year it will be handicapped once more.

Give it time. We haven't even got November NPD numbers in.

Not only this, ioi has no previous holiday data to compare to, to understand the Holiday markets. The issue is that I assume he gets very little sales data from Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Meijer, and other general stores. IMO, during Christmas sales, these places are going to be the more important areas due to the fact that many families will be thre picking up general items, and then pick up a X360/Wii/PS3 also. If/since that's the case, ioi might have some difficulty tracking.

Like last year, when we had some great debates on sales: time will tell. We all assumed that the Wii would sell 800k-900k last year in Dec, since November was so strong, but wound up selling under 600k. Time will tell: just wait for NPD.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@rudyrsr8:

The US enemployment is just .2% above full employement our GDP is expected to rise by 4.9% whihc is larger than all of China's GDP

You have no clue what China's GDP and even GDP itself is, don't you?

yeah i suppose this would matter if the wii hadnt out sold teh xbox by around 90k in japan...but yeah good job buddy

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Wow Nintendo is being hurt from the perspective of potential third party support by Wii shortages, they really need to get more production going or else they'll be in trouble.

Why don't you look at the worldwide figures?

The only reason that the Wii got beaten in NA last week was because Nintendo had to increase supply in Japan (for Wii Fit), and Europe (maybe because they make more profit here than in NA due to the weak dollar).

Basically, within production limits, Nintendo can choose what sales they want each week in each territory (at least Europe and NA). I'm sure they have some smart people taking all the factors into account when directing supply on a weekly basis. Such factors are probably things such as the software release calendar, profit and competition.

According to Famitsu/VGChartz's figures:

1- The Wii is already the top selling console of this generation
2- The Wii will end up at 600k and the 360 at 400k worldwide for last week.

Couple that with the fact that outside holiday periods the Wii outsells the 360 by an even bigger margin, and you have Nintendo easily dominating any other company. Sure, more production would help, but it's naive to say that Nintendo may be in trouble.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957