By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 beat Wii this week in NA

Kasz216 said:
erikers said:

What's with those numbers? They're barely even different than last week. Maybe Wii is supply constrained but the other numbers? Suddenly the ps3's only going to sell 700k in december? The 360 is suddenly selling at a slower pace in december than last year?

Does anyone realize the sales on 360 for the same week last year is 276k, HIGHER than this year? Is anybody crazy enough to believe it's going to sell less this year than last after seeing the last few months of sales?

Well the US has had some pretty harsh economic problem lately. Still, does seem surprising.
 What US economic problems? The US enemployment is just .2% above full employement our GDP is expected to rise by 4.9% whihc is larger than all of China's GDP, also the Fed just lowered interest rates allowing greater investment for the future.If you are refering to the housing burst that affects maybe one million people and these forclsures are for people trying to flip a profit on real estate speculation and deserve to lose money in the gambling with the market. Should we expect to government to share the risks for all tax payers while the profit none are seen by the tax payers no. Shut up excuse the pun if you don't know anything about economics. The US is the most stable economy atm the Euros and Chinese have the most to worry about atm. /rant 

"Like you know"

Around the Network
erikers said:
Kasz216 said:
erikers said:

What's with those numbers? They're barely even different than last week. Maybe Wii is supply constrained but the other numbers? Suddenly the ps3's only going to sell 700k in december? The 360 is suddenly selling at a slower pace in december than last year?

Does anyone realize the sales on 360 for the same week last year is 276k, HIGHER than this year? Is anybody crazy enough to believe it's going to sell less this year than last after seeing the last few months of sales?

Well the US has had some pretty harsh economic problem lately. Still, does seem surprising.

After having the 360 at 881k estimated for November 2007 with 511k offcially sold in America last November, it's almost impossible for it to suddenly be below last year's December sales week on week.  Barring some kind of sudden shortage, that almost defies logic.

Yep, I think all 3 systems are undertracked since Black Friday.

Looking at historical data, no system ever shows a dip after Black friday, so I really don't see how it suddenly happened to all 3 systems

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Wow hadn't noticed!

THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF THE WII!!!!

I think one must keep in mind that sampling is a big issue with out of stock systems. There will be an uneven distribution of sales. So while one vendor might receive a big shipment, another may receive none. If enough of the vendors that received none are polled, it can skew the results significantly.

Zucas said:
erikers said:

Last year and this year are different. Last year 360 had a larger brandname appeal in America than it did this year, mainly because it didn't have to share it with anyone.

Wow that really made sense. Even though it has sold more this August, September, October and November than last year, suddenly competition has caused it's "brandname" to lower and sell less now? Any more words of wisdom?  That honestly does not make one ounce of sense at all.  

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Around the Network
cool48 said:
Wow hadn't noticed!

THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF THE WII!!!!

Are you serious?

Regarding the numbers being weird or not, I don't know. Wii supply could have been bigger to EU this week (the numbers support this). PS3 and 360 might be correct, I don't know all the factors but this year's black friday appears to have been bigger than usual, maybe more promotions?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 sold better this year than last.

All of its compeititon was sold out til the next year. Although, I do expect the final numbers to be higher.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

rudyrsr8 said:
Kasz216 said:
erikers said:

What US economic problems? The US enemployment is just .2% above full employement our GDP is expected to rise by 4.9% whihc is larger than all of China's GDP, also the Fed just lowered interest rates allowing greater investment for the future.If you are refering to the housing burst that affects maybe one million people and these forclsures are for people trying to flip a profit on real estate speculation and deserve to lose money in the gambling with the market. Should we expect to government to share the risks for all tax payers while the profit none are seen by the tax payers no. Shut up excuse the pun if you don't know anything about economics. The US is the most stable economy atm the Euros and Chinese have the most to worry about atm. /rant 

you're ignoring the loss of equity in people's homes and the low savings rate, GDP growth is going to slow, because consumer spending is going to slow as that begins to effect them, also the fed lowering interest rates to try and prevent a recession is basically moral hazard at play, they want to delay the fall as long as they can so that it doesn't hit while they are in office, except the dealy will just make it worse

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Oh i agree it's crazy. Just sayin that X-mas sales were expected to be lower. Of course they say that every year lately because of the US's slip economically. What they fail to realize is that most people in the US love to spend money they don't have on nonessential things even more then money they do have.

just a random thought but with the US having a weak dollar right now it is more profitable for Nintendo to divert more console to Europe where the euro is wicked strong...

for those who know little about this

Weak Dollar= Good for exporter (Product is cheaper over seas)
Strong Dollar= Good for importers (More Buying Power)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.